Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Where do Beatles rank among All-Time Guitarists?  (Read 8785 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Where do Beatles rank among All-Time Guitarists?
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2007, 02:52:32 AM »

Quote from: 568

Yes, exactly. Like the song I wrote about - "Lend Me Your Comb".

I find nothing innovative or technically special about copying other peoples music. I'm a drummer and if given enough time, i'm pretty confident that I could copy almost anything to a point (i'm not talking about Buddy Rich here). Sorry, but 'Lend Me Your Comb' doesnt blow me away.

That is pretty much my point - George could contribute to the complex rhythms they were trying to play, Pete Best couldn't.

Your missing my point here. When the band went into the studio, the complex sh*t stayed at home. 'Please Please Me' is an album full of three chord tunes and nothing more. From a drummers stand point, I could have learned those songs in about 2 days. I'm sure any decent guitar player could have too. Now, to Georges credit, he found the timing and skill to finish the tracks regardless of how many takes it took. Pete probably couldnt have. He was all over the place timing wise, but to his credit, Ringo even had to take a seat when 'Love Me Do' was recorded and thats the easiest song in the world to play. So crap happens.

Neither do I, and I didn't say that. I do find it easy to believe that John and Paul kept him around because his playing was at a level that the other guitarists they could have chosen wasn't ... otherwise they would have bounced him like they did Pete Best.

Maybe they were better friends with George than they were with Pete? Paul didnt even like Pete very much.

No, i'm grasping here. George was compatant and more skilled than Paul and John on the guitar so it only makes semse. I agree with you.

These other guitarists that they were copying were professional musicians with years of experience and recording cotnracts (obviously). The Beatles were barely out of their teens (George wasn't), but George could do those guitar bits. I'm guessing there weren't many, if any, other Mersey-based guitarists that could do that.

I dont know the history of the Mersey Beat like Marshall, Bobber, and Al does so I couldnt debate this if I had to. As a matter of fact, i've grown tiresome of this whole subject and will close with the comment that I think George was a very good guitar player, but not one of the greatest. He gets more credit than he deserves due to the band that he was in. They all do.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2007, 02:56:33 AM »

P.S. tkitna - nice website!!

http://com1.runboard.com/bthemoondogs    

Yeah, thats PC31's website and we'd love to have you check it out. We're just a bunch of idiots really with a strange sense of humor and it takes awhile to figure it out, but its a small, close knit family. Its a pro Ringo board and the people there really do know their stuff. Log in once in awhile and introduce yourself.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2007, 02:57:46 AM »

I think Paul would have told Segovia himself how to play a classical bit in his song if he were in the studio. Not much to do with George per say, in my opinion.

LOL! Yeah, your right about that.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »

Quote from: 668
Jimi Hendrix is so overated i totally agree... he only had 1 number 1 hit and he didn't even write it... he also always destroyed guitars on stage.. ok... thats stupid... i never understood that...

Sorry - how can you rank Hendrix's skills as a guitar player based on his number ones? Look at that list of all time great guitarists - hardly any of them chart toppers.
And smashing guitars - he learned that from The Who, so I suppose Townsend doesn't rank either - and again,  can't see how that matters when we're talking about his guitar playing ability.
And if a comment by his son is your support for your Harrison-is-great arguement, I'm reasonably confident I could dig out a few singing Hendrix's accolade. Remember Clapton walking off stage when Jimi jammed with Cream - he blew what was then universally regarded as the most proficent rock guitarist in the world off the stage.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2007, 09:06:13 AM »

Quote from: 373

Maybe they were better friends with George than they were with Pete? Paul didnt even like Pete very much.

No, i'm grasping here. George was compatant and more skilled than Paul and John on the guitar so it only makes semse. I agree with you.

Yet we know that Paul was also a bit resentful at being lumbered with the bass. Had he had his way and become a guitarist I'd make a small wager that George's position as a lead guitarist would soon have been made redundant.
Have not both george Martin and Geoff Emerick (as good a set of sources you could wish for) talked of the struggles George had with his instrumemt? And that his results are more due to diligence and graft rather than virtuoso talent?
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2007, 09:33:27 AM »

Quote from: 185

Yet we know that Paul was also a bit resentful at being lumbered with the bass. Had he had his way and become a guitarist I'd make a small wager that George's position as a lead guitarist would soon have been made redundant.
Have not both george Martin and Geoff Emerick (as good a set of sources you could wish for) talked of the struggles George had with his instrumemt? And that his results are more due to diligence and graft rather than virtuoso talent?

You can hear in rehearsal at Twickenham in '69 George struggling to come up with anything that isn't one dimensional. And that's near the beginning when the mood wasn't that bad. I agree, I think he had to work hard on his solo's, and though I enjoy listening to him, it is a little unspontaneous. Whereas Paul's solo on Taxman, for instance, sounds like he made it up on the spot.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2007, 09:59:55 AM »

Quote from: 185

Well you said what I really didnt want to Kev, but I agree totally with you. I know I come across as kissing Pauls ass a lot, but he definately is the best musician in the band. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Paul took up the drums full time back then. I have my ideas.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2007, 10:08:55 AM »

Respectfully, I have to disagree with this:

- When John played lead, it was painfully obvious ... his leads were almost always amateurish when compared to George. I'm thinking of "You can't do that", "Long Tall Sally", for example -

I agree with you now.
Paul doesn't sound like George - on Taxman and Ticket To Ride he plays with a strident confidence that seemed quite beyond George.   :)
don't follow leaders

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2007, 03:55:12 PM »

Quote from: 373
By the way, how many times over the Beatles career has Paul told George how to play something when they were writing songs? Watch 'Let It Be' again for a refresher, but i'm guessing countless.
He also told John how to play (watch 'Let It Be' again), and he told Ringo how to play (and often overdubbed his stuff afterwards). After The Beatles, Paul told top-flight session guitarist David Spinoza how to play (David tells a very funny story about his sessions with Paul in Keith Badman's "Beatles: Dream is Over" book). Paul also told everybody in Wings how to play. I'm only in Badman's book up to the part where Henry McCullough quit. You only have to read these other guitarists' accounts to hear them say exactly the kinds of things John and George complained about when working with Paul.

Here is an account Paul himself gives of the song "My Love". He doesn't even give Henry his name, just says "The guitar player came over to me right before the take ... and he said, "Do you mind if I try something different on the solo?" It was one of those moments where I could have said, "I'd rather you didn't, just stick to the script," but I thought he sounded like he's got an idea and I said "Sure." He then came out with the really good guitar solo on the record. It's one of the best things he ever played. So that was like, "Wow!" It was one of the best solos I ever heard.  /end of quote/

This was Paul's preferred working style. He imagined all the parts, and then just told the others what he wanted. This kept him from being surprised, but it also excluded him from enjoying those happy moments when a band is contributing together to make a song better. Paul says "It's one of the best things he ever played." Well, what was Henry playing before this? Paul's solos to order. But Paul never seemed to twig that his approach was stifling for other musicians.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2007, 04:29:52 PM »

Quote from: 551
He also told John how to play (watch 'Let It Be' again), and he told Ringo how to play (and often overdubbed his stuff afterwards). After The Beatles, Paul told top-flight session guitarist David Spinoza how to play (David tells a very funny story about his sessions with Paul in Keith Badman's "Beatles: Dream is Over" book). Paul also told everybody in Wings how to play. I'm only in Badman's book up to the part where Henry McCullough quit. You only have to read these other guitarists' accounts to hear them say exactly the kinds of things John and George complained about when working with Paul.

Here is an account Paul himself gives of the song "My Love". He doesn't even give Henry his name, just says "The guitar player came over to me right before the take ... and he said, "Do you mind if I try something different on the solo?" It was one of those moments where I could have said, "I'd rather you didn't, just stick to the script," but I thought he sounded like he's got an idea and I said "Sure." He then came out with the really good guitar solo on the record. It's one of the best things he ever played. So that was like, "Wow!" It was one of the best solos I ever heard.  /end of quote/

This was Paul's preferred working style. He imagined all the parts, and then just told the others what he wanted. This kept him from being surprised, but it also excluded him from enjoying those happy moments when a band is contributing together to make a song better. Paul says "It's one of the best things he ever played." Well, what was Henry playing before this? Paul's solos to order. But Paul never seemed to twig that his approach was stifling for other musicians.

Your nice post brings two things to my mind, Harihead:

1) As an amateur musician, I find each of Paul's last two albums (MAF more than Chaos) lack "A Certain Something" in my mind - energy? ... imagination? ... spontanaeity?  I wonder if they would have been helped enormously with the uncontrolled ideas of real live bandmates in the studio. As an example, Paul's drumming, though "on - time", seems so ... vanilla and predictable.

Maybe Paul's recent albums suffer from the same malady as thousands of "bedroom recording musicians" (i.e., folks who use software to record, engineer and produce their own albums, typically alone in the spare bedroom) - a bit of the musical equivalent of inbreeding? OK, take me out back and shoot me now!!

2) Maybe everyone but me likes the production on MAF album, and this may be way off base, but ... knowing that Paul is a perfectionist, I wonder about the role of the producer David Kahne (sp?) in this last album. Some of the production choices seemed interesting to me, to say the least. For example, I just finished listening to "Nod Your Head" again, and those droning atonal-sounding guitars make the song almost unlistenable to me. Also, on a bunch of songs, the processing that was done to Paul's voice made him sound bad to my ears, and  there are other examples of the production getting in the way of the music I've noticed  that I can't recall off the top of my head now.

Were these Paul's production ideas and the producer just "made them happen"? Or did the producer take charge and Paul simply agreed to these production decisions? Or, quite possibly, I'm a lone voice in a sea of people who think DK's production was great ... apologies and no offense to anyone.

Having said all that, I also feel compelled to say that I am a huge fan of Sir Paul, one of the most creative and best musicians that ever walked on this planet. I can wax on about his contributions to making the Beatles what they were (songwriting, harmonies (!), virtuosity on bass, keeping the rest of the band focused for the last few years, etc.) - as a matter of fact, my family already says I do that too much!

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2007, 03:36:26 AM »

Quote from: alexis
OK, take me out back and shoot me now!!
No, I refuse!!! Deal with it.  ;D

Sorry to miss all this great discussion. I came in early and then got really busy at work. I hope you don't mind if I try to play a little catch-up.

Quote from: 687
Isn't there a rumor (not sure if it's true) that George taught John to play guitar? (confused)
As Tkitna said, John learned banjo chords from his mom, and Paul pretty much set him straight, because Paul had some lessons. But George was the chord fiend, and continued to show John new chords ongoingly. You can hear some of this on the LIB bootlegs. George also kept that up throughout his life. You can hear Tom Petty make some crack about diminished chords during a Wilbury's interview. George loved guitar just for the sound of it.

Quote from: Kevin
Kevin, your comments often make a good springboard for discussion! How do we know Paul was resentful? He didn't particularly want bass, but he didn't take lead guitar away from George-- why? Paul had way more power in the band, and got more as time went on. I can't imagine him knuckling under and letting little no-account Georgie have the sexy lead guitar spot unless a) George was better or b) Paul didn't want to have to try to pull off the solos during their shows. He really liked to ham it up for the crowds, and it's just plain difficult to play lead and to sing and to ham all at the same time. He talked about how weird it was to play bass and sing at the same time-- can any bass players comment on this? I know how hard it is to sing and play lead.

Paul's initial attempt at lead solo he flubbed so badly that John never let him try again, but I refuse to accept this is why Paul stuck with bass. As time went on, he was obviously way more comfortable playing to crowds, so stage fright wouldn't hit him so badly. Why would he stick with bass, all through the Beatles' building period, when no one would particularly care which Beatle was playing what instrument because the fans were all there primarily to see Pete anyway?  ;)  Obviously Paul was good at bass; he was good at many instruments. I don't see him accepting a spot he didn't want unless there was some reason, particularly when the Beatles were still in the growing phase.

Quote from: Kevin
John often said that none of the Beatles were virtuosos. The Beatles were an energetic combination that did not rely on flash musicianship, but overall musicality and (I want to say) mood. Yup, George sometimes took hours to work out exactly how he wanted his solo to be. Wow, hours for a song that would last 40 years, as opposed to 10 minutes. My thought always is, what's the rush? All the person ever sees is the finished product. Who cares how George created it? He could play it consistently and accurately forever once he figured out what he wanted. If you're in a band that relies upon improvisation, George is not your guy. But the Beatles weren't a jazz band.

Still, I always felt that Paul cheated. He would work on his songs at home, in advance, and work out all the parts. I honestly don't know how long it took Paul to come up with his parts (all the parts including solos, because he completely visualized the song). I haven't listened to tons of bootlegs. But the reports usually are that "Paul came in knowing exactly what he wanted". So he could have been thinking about it for days, or at least overnight, before he attempted anything in the studio. George would have to learn the song as Paul revealed it, and then work up his bit live in the studio. So of course his beginning efforts wouldn't sound polished, although his final contribution would be solid. Not always, particularly on the early stuff, but often quite innovative.

As for Geoff Emerick, don't even get me started.  ;D He admits that he never had "good chemistry" with George, and paints a dour picture of him that is not borne out by the bootlegs that I have personally listened to (again, this is a pretty small subset, but still). Anyway, my favorite bit of Geoff is his quote regarding the "I'll Follow the Sun" solo. "Even as a 17-year-old sitting in the machine room who couldn't play a lick of guitar myself, I felt George Harrison could have come up with something better than that." His remark always reminded me of the pompous Lady Catherine from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, talking about herself and her daughter:
There are few people in England, I suppose, who have more true enjoyment of music than myself, or a better natural taste. If I had ever learnt, I should have been a great proficient. And so would Anne, if her health had allowed her to apply.
Geoff does go on to say George played the next song "confidently and well. Even his solo, performed live, was flawless." Even Geoff's compliments have a grudging quality. I've said this before, but I particularly like how the first compliment Geoff ever gave George was for his solo for "The End". Way to get that compliment in before it's too late, Geoff! (And he wonders why George never warmed to him...)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2007, 08:19:22 AM »

Excellent comments Mrs Harihead.
Love the quote.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2007, 09:48:07 AM »

Very interesting comment Marie, as usual!

I'm not sure that Paul was ever particularly bitter about giving up the guitar role for bass. If he was a frustrated guitarist wouldn't he play more live? Why employ all those guitarists in Wings? He can play almost anything, but obviously he knows his limitations. On the production side, he must be one of the toughest musicians on the planet to produce. Just how do you boss around Sir Paul? It would take a very strong and confident mind to not be intimidated. The same goes for other musicians/bandmates. It comes as no surprise that what is considered the best Wings album is all but a solo album.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 65 queries.