Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Rereleasing The Travelling Wilbury's  (Read 19191 times)

Bobber

Rereleasing The Travelling Wilbury's
« on: October 20, 2006, 07:19:16 AM »

George Harrison's widow promises reissue of Traveling Wilburys albums next
George Harrison's widow Olivia Harrison is trying to follow his high standards for her recent and future reissues of the "quiet Beatle's" work. Last month, Harrison's 1973 Number One album Living In the Material World was reissued under Olivia's supervision.

Olivia told us that the new reissue was one of the final projects Harrison worked on before his death in 2001. She also said that the next reissue will jump ahead 15 years, to the first Traveling Wilburys album: "It's really nice to get this one done. He'd remastered this already in 2001 himself, but he didn't get a chance to finish it. I think next year the Wilburys is so overdue -- way overdue. And there's a lot of great material on that as well, so I'm just trying to get to it."

1988's Traveling Wilburys Vol. One album featured Harrison, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, ELO's Jeff Lynne, and Tom Petty. After Orbison's death in 1989, the band regrouped the following year for Traveling Wilburys Vol. 3.

Home footage from the albums' sessions is expected to be released on DVD in conjunction with the Wilburys reissues. There's no release date set for the reissues, nor any word whether they will released at the same time.

Living In The Material World was the follow-up to Harrison's first mainstream solo album, 1970's All Things Must Pass, and featured his second Number One hit, "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)." George's album and single replaced Paul McCartney & Wings' Red Rose Speedway and "My Love" at the Number One spot on the Billboard 200 Album and Hot 100 singles charts, respectively.

Living In The Material World was the first time a former Beatle recorded a solo project in the group's Apple Studios, which had last been used by the group in 1969 to record their album Let It Be.

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Rereleasing The Travelling Wilbury's
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 07:29:38 AM »

Olivia just doesn't seem to stop working  ;D

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 10:20:11 AM »

Yoko beware...

Wayne L.

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 07:03:35 PM »

It's too bad the Travelling Wilburys never toured after their debut album since it would have been huge at the time with George, Dylan, Lynne, Orbison & Petty in the band.  

BlueMeanie

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 11:15:20 AM »

Quote from: 63
George Harrison's widow Olivia Harrison is trying to follow his high standards for her recent and future reissues of the "quiet Beatle's" work. Last month, Harrison's 1973 Number One album Living In the Material World was reissued under Olivia's supervision.

The last I heard Barbara Orbison was dead against this for some reason.

BTW. Why is the second album called Volume 3?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 03:57:17 PM »

Quote from: 483

BTW. Why is the second album called Volume 3?

That was obviously a joke. And a pretty good one if you ask me.

I've got a professional looking bootleg CD with Volume 1, Volume 3 and some B-sides. They should just officially release it like that.

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 04:18:28 PM »

I found on the net there are two bootlegs named Volume 2 and Volume 4.
All You Need Is LOVE!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 07:01:08 PM »

George Harrison's widow Olivia Harrison is trying to follow his high standards for her recent and future reissues of the "quiet Beatle's" work. [...]

Olivia told us that the new reissue was one of the final projects Harrison worked on before his death in 2001. She also said that the next reissue will jump ahead 15 years, to the first Traveling Wilburys album: "It's really nice to get this one done. He'd remastered this already in 2001 himself, but he didn't get a chance to finish it. I think next year the Wilburys is so overdue -- way overdue. And there's a lot of great material on that as well, so I'm just trying to get to it."

1988's Traveling Wilburys Vol. One album featured Harrison, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, ELO's Jeff Lynne, and Tom Petty. After Orbison's death in 1989, the band regrouped the following year for Traveling Wilburys Vol. 3.

Home footage from the albums' sessions is expected to be released on DVD in conjunction with the Wilburys reissues. There's no release date set for the reissues, nor any word whether they will released at the same time.
[...]

I love Handle With Care

"Handle With Care" is a song from the Traveling Wilburys 1988 album, Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1. Writing credits are shared by all five band members, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, and Bob Dylan.

The song was originally intended as a bonus track (or "B side") for the B-Side of Harrison's "This is Love". Harrison had not yet written a song for the B-side when an impromptu gathering of the musicians who became the Wilburys turned into an informal songwriting and jam session. Casting about for a song idea while relaxing in a garden near Bob Dylan's recording studio, Harrison was inspired when he noticed a box in Dylan's garage that was labeled "Handle with Care". The box also inspired the opening line: "been beat up and battered around." The complete song quickly followed, with different members of the gathering contributing various lines. The group moved to a recording studio and quickly laid down the basic tracks which were later polished by eventual Wilburys producer Jeff Lynne.

The song has an easy, mid-tempo acoustic rock structure, and features Harrison on the primary vocal, and includes two consecutive bridge sections with Orbison singing the plaintive first bridge section and the rest of the group sharing vocals on the song's second refrain.

Harrison's record company quickly realized that the song was too good to be released as "filler." Encouraged by this response and the enjoyable experience of recording together, the group re-convened to record the first Wilburys album, which featured "Handle With Care" as the lead track. It reached #45 on the Billboard Hot 100."

from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handle_With_Care_%28song%29

BlueMeanie

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 08:45:09 PM »

I'm suprised it only reached No.45 in the US. I'd have thought given the collective fame of the members that it would have been a No.1 for certain. It certainly deeserves to have been.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 08:45:46 PM »

BTW, thanks for the potted history Raxo.

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 05:57:36 PM »

For all uk posters maybe rest too..The TRAVELLING WILBURYS VOL 1 is sheduled for release in January 2007 including a dvd and bonus material whatever that is maybe demo's unreleased? Vol 3 to follow later on in year

BlueMeanie

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 07:42:18 PM »

Quote from: 529
For all uk posters maybe rest too..The TRAVELLING WILBURYS VOL 1 is sheduled for release in January 2007 including a dvd and bonus material whatever that is maybe demo's unreleased? Vol 3 to follow later on in year

What's your source for that?

Not that I don't believe you ;D

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 11:02:58 PM »

Some say Petty's "Full Moon Fever" was unofficially Vol. 2 of the Wilburys.  As far as Barbara Orbison is concerned, I believe the Harrison estate owns the masters.  And being a good businesswoman, I don't know why she would object.  But who knows?

George plays some great guitar on the CDs and shows what a great leader (along with Jeff Lynne) he could be in a creative project.  

Makes you think he was doing more than just sitting around when John and Paul were writing those songs.  

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 03:56:46 PM »

Quote from: 9
[...]
Makes you think he was doing more than just sitting around when John and Paul were writing those songs.  

That reminds me of that moment at the Get Back project (you can see it in the Anthology DVDs) when they are "discussing" where to play the concet and Paul is somehow fearful of George's reaction ... Paul's constantly looking at George and trying to handle the situation at his best, trying to not disturb George ... a moment that says a lot!

George was a master pillar!  8)

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 09:47:52 PM »

Seriously, if you watch those Ed Sullivan performances--the biggest screams go as much for George's guitar solos and John and Pauls' Little Richard style "wooooos."

The audience seems almost bored with "Till There was You."  

George was the sparkplug.  

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 07:46:48 PM »

[...]

"The two Traveling Wilburys albums have extremely limited availability and have been left out of print in most territories. This has been said to be due to rights issues between the different members of the band, most notably Roy Orbison's widow. However, Tom Petty announced on his XM radio show that both albums would be re-released sometime in the near future, with bonus tracks, a claim further substantiated in the February 2007 edition of Q Magazine in an interview with Jeff Lynne."

from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling_Wilburys

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 07:53:31 PM »

Quote from: 9
[...]

"Harrison has earned the respect of fans, musicians and critics alike with his unique palette of humor, devotion, irony and craftsmanship.   "I believe I love my guitar more than the others love theirs," Harrison once told Beatles Monthly.  "For John and Paul, songwriting is pretty important and guitar playing is a means to an end. While they're making up new tunes I can thoroughly enjoy myself just doodling around with a guitar for a whole evening.  I'm fascinated by new sounds I can get from different instruments I try out.  I'm not sure that makes me particularly musical.  Just call me a guitar fanatic instead, and I'll be satisfied ."

from here: http://www.thecanteen.com/harrison1.html

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 09:31:54 PM »

After being out of print for more than a decade, the two studio albums from all-star band the Traveling Wilburys will return to the marketplace in a variety of formats June 12 via Wilbury Records/Rhino, Billboard.com has learned.

"Traveling Wilburys Volume 1" and "Traveling Wilburys Volume 3" will be available together in one package with bonus tracks and a DVD of rare footage, as a deluxe linen-bound edition, a vinyl set and a digital bundle. The DVD boasts a 24-minute documentary and five music videos.

The Wilburys formed in 1988 after Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne and Roy Orbison assembled at a California studio to record a B-side for the Harrison single "This Is Love."

The resulting song, "Handle With Care," was instead released under the Wilburys name, with the artists posing as a band of brothers. It went on to reach No. 45 on the Billboard Hot 100, while the "Volume 1" album hit No. 3 on The Billboard 200. The reissued version of the album includes the previously unreleased tracks "Maxine" and "Like a Ship."

Orbison died in late 1988 before a second album could be completed; it was eventually released as "Volume 3" in 1990. The set is expanded here with the B-side "Runaway" and "Nobody's Child," which was released on a benefit album for Romanian orphans.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2007, 10:29:13 PM »

I really can't wait for this re-issue of the Travelling Wilburys!
I've been trying to buy both on cd for AGES!!! The songs were really amusing.
Olivia obviously knows how much the fans need on George. Bless her!

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 03:58:08 AM »

Whahoo! Fabulous news! Thanks for the post, Nette74fe!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 77 queries.