Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ATMP New VS Old.  (Read 6126 times)

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
ATMP New VS Old.
« on: May 19, 2008, 10:51:23 PM »

The recent CD issue of ATMP was remixed at George's request, to tone down the WALL OF SOUND (which I love).
I got a copy on Japanese Red Wax Vinyl, unremixed, around early 80's is its age I think, as a download, in FLAC. I must admit that its MUCH better to my ears. On the remix, its like they pulled all the fader's down or gated the reverb out. But on the unremixed, its lots warmer and fuller, deeper, more mysterious or mystical.
I don't know about Phil Spector personally, but his method sounds great to me, just ask Brian Wilson. I would like folks to judge for themselves though, as we have the "Get Back" bootleg and "Let It Be...Naked" to judge the sound with, many people may not hear the original sound on ATMP. This was an Un EQ'd drop needle FLAC
as close to it can get mix. I much prefer this JRWV version than the remaster, I don't even wanna listen to it, the remaster sounds like they soaked it in digital soap, I'll take the murky analogue any day. The album covers do a great job of illustrating this, bright wishywashy watercolour on remaster, or stark dark mysterious black and white on the original mix.
&quot;No one around you will love you today and throw it all away...&quot;<br />&quot;Nothing is real...&quot;<br />&quot;Its all in the mind...&quot;<br />&quot;And life flows on within you and w
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Morninggloryseed

• One And One Is Two
Re: ATMP New VS Old.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 03:49:47 AM »

I must confess that I haven't listened to too much of the new ATMP.  I prefer the record, as the old CD is muddy.  But from what I have heard from the new ATMP, I too prefer the original.

Ps...lucky find.  ;)
Visit my blog for Beatle downloads..<br /><br />http://morninggloryseed-blog.blogspot.com/

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 05:12:58 AM »

I like the 2000 remaster myself. It's got a crisper sound that brings out detail in the instruments and voices, something I like, and a sense of aural spaciousness that suits the music well. The old CD was by comparison disastrously flat and murky, probably because of whichever noise reduction system they used, and my recollection of my old LP copy (a late seventies pressing, which wouldn't have helped) is that it wasn't much better.

But I am intrigued by your Japanese vinyl download, though: it may be a pretty faithful reproduction of what George and Phil Spector issued in 1970.  :)

Morninggloryseed

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 02:30:30 PM »

I must confess that I have changed my mind.  After posting, I re-listened to the new ATMP and found it amazing.  * X 4 (ie 4 stars).  I'm pretty sure the new ATMP was also issued on vinyl but I haven't yet collected one.  Of course if I did, I wouldn't open it...but I bet that would provide the best listening experience overall.  
Visit my blog for Beatle downloads..<br /><br />http://morninggloryseed-blog.blogspot.com/

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 12:51:04 AM »

I don't know whether this Japanese Vinyl was extra clean, but don't get me wrong, the remaster is how I first heard the album, its just a different vibe comparing the two. The remaster, as Geoff pointed out, is crisper in its detail. I would say the original mix may not be for everyone, and I give the remaster its due. How should I put it, the original is like a warm blanket, while the remaster is like a opening a sunny window with a sweet calm breeze. I might be hearing the "Vinyl" more than the "Mix" to be honest, as I have not heard the remaster on Vinyl, I might be making a fool of myself over this! :o
&quot;No one around you will love you today and throw it all away...&quot;<br />&quot;Nothing is real...&quot;<br />&quot;Its all in the mind...&quot;<br />&quot;And life flows on within you and w

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 04:17:51 AM »

Quote from: 1309
How should I put it, the original is like a warm blanket, while the remaster is like a opening a sunny window with a sweet calm breeze. I might be hearing the "Vinyl" more than the "Mix" to be honest, as I have not heard the remaster on Vinyl, I might be making a fool of myself over this! :o

You could very well be right in preferring the vinyl original, actually: I haven't heard a quality pressing of it myself and can't pass judgement on it. The copy of ATMP I had was from a late seventies US pressing, and if pressings of Beatles albums from that period are anything to go by it would have been of inferior quality. The 1987 CD was a sonic mess that makes you wonder if engineers of that time considered anything besides getting rid of tape hiss. Anyway, it's perfectly reasonable to like different versions of albums for different reasons; sometimes, for example, I want to hear The Beatles in mono and sometimes I want them in stereo. It's all good.  :)

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 05:04:40 PM »

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 05:09:05 AM »

Here is the torrent link for all interested parties. Enjoy! ;)
http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3823122/All_Things_Must_Pass__Toshiba_Red_Vinyl_Transfer__16-bit_version

(beer)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 08:43:56 AM »

Here is the torrent link for all interested parties. Enjoy! ;)
http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3823122/All_Things_Must_Pass__Toshiba_Red_Vinyl_Transfer__16-bit_version

Thanks for posting, but can we keep this to the Bootleg section please? Thanks.

madman

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 12:27:38 PM »

My library has the remastered version of ATMP.  I'll have to bring it home when I go tomorrow and give it a listen.

I have the an original Apple vinyl version that I bought at a flea market in the early 80's, no poster though.  IIRC, it was pretty static-y (if that's a word) but that never stopped me from listening to it!

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 11:49:10 PM »

Sorry for posting it out of place, I've got to keep up posting until I can get access to the bootleg section.
Please move it to the correct place if it needs to be. :o

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 10:40:08 AM »

Thanks for posting the link, Mellotroniac.

I don't seem to be able to download it, though. When I click the download link, I get a 16K file my Macintosh can't open. Can you give me any clues? Thanks!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 11:03:46 AM »

Quote from: 551
Thanks for posting the link, Mellotroniac.

I don't seem to be able to download it, though. When I click the download link, I get a 16K file my Macintosh can't open. Can you give me any clues? Thanks!

It's a torrent file. You download that, then you 'open' it with a BitTorrent client. I use Azureus:

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

There is no telling how long it will take to download though. It depends how many peers there are that are seeding. I personally hate BitTorrent, but sometimes it's the only way to get things.

Mellotroniac, if you could upload this to somewhere like Megaupload, that would be better.

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »

I'll do my best to get it up on Megaupload.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 04:25:57 AM »

Thank you!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 04:39:03 AM »

Please be patient, as I may have to go to the library to do this, my internet is horribly slow. I'll do my best to get it up soon. :o

BlueMeanie

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 05:01:44 AM »

Don't worry about it if you have slow internet. I'm sure we can manage without it. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 10:40:02 AM »

I'm downloading the Torrent, so if it's done later I'll upload it. That is IF it's done later!

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 01:24:14 PM »

Thanks to both of you. I love this album, and I'd love to hear it in another form.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 09:05:42 AM »

Well it's still downloading. This is why I don't like torrents. 24 hours now, and I've managed to download 598.24mb! I have 32mb to go, and it's ETA currently says 2 Days 7hrs 32mins. If it finishes today, I'll upload it overnight. If it doesn't finish I'm stopping it because it's slowing up my Mac for too long.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.503 seconds with 78 queries.