Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: The Who  (Read 29588 times)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Re: The Who
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2013, 07:51:16 PM »

My list of favourite albums by the Who:

1. Who's Next
2. Tommy
3. The Who Sell Out
4. Quadrophenia
5. Who Are You
6. My Generation
7. A Quick One
8. The Who By Numbers

Here's mine (quite a bit different) :

1. Quadrophenia
2. The Who By Numbers
3. Tommy
4. Who's Next
5. Who Sell Out
6. Who Are You
7. A Quick One
8. My Generation

P.S. I realize that was sort of an old post, but I couldn't think of a better way to bring back to life the topic about one of Rock's classic bands.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:54:43 PM by Ovi »
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2013, 02:03:37 AM »

Here's mine (quite a bit different) :

1. Quadrophenia
2. The Who By Numbers
3. Tommy
4. Who's Next
5. Who Sell Out
6. Who Are You
7. A Quick One
8. My Generation

P.S. I realize that was sort of an old post, but I couldn't think of a better way to bring back to life the topic about one of Rock's classic bands.

It's always great to talk about the Who.

With regard to your list, I'm surprised to see The Who By Numbers on the #2 spot, as it's usually seen as a relatively poor step by the band. But I must say that I really enjoy it every time I listen to it, even though it's my least favorite studio album of those recorded with Keith Moon.

Then, Quadrophenia is a nice choice for the #1 position. In my case, it fights with The Who Sell Out for being #3, after Who's Next and Tommy, but all these 4 albums are wonderful pieces of work, quite different from each other.

And seeing My Generation (at least the US version) at #8 is a bit hard to dig. True, it was a very primitive record, but that's the same reason that makes it special in my opinion. Beyond the title track (a revolutionary classic), I find several enjoyable tunes like "The Kids Are Alright", "Instant Party (Circles)", "The Good's Gone", "It's Not True", "A Legal Matter"... The two quite boring covers surely bring the rating down, but most of the rest even have an historic feeling.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2013, 08:30:42 AM »

It's always great to talk about the Who.

With regard to your list, I'm surprised to see The Who By Numbers on the #2 spot, as it's usually seen as a relatively poor step by the band. But I must say that I really enjoy it every time I listen to it, even though it's my least favorite studio album of those recorded with Keith Moon.

I was a bit skeptical at first, having read the not-so-glowing-reviews and thinking that there is no way the album was going to stand a chance to the greatness of 'Quadrophenia', but the album has quickly grown on me after a few listens. It's Pete's most personal record and maybe that's why I like it so much. It's modest and unambitious and that's welcomed with me as well. I think it was the best decision at the moment; something even more ambitious than Quadrophenia would've probably failed. None of the songs are Who classics but I love most of them, with 'Imagine a Man', 'They're All In Love', 'Blue, Red and Grey' and 'How Many Friends'* as my absolute highlights. If I were to be objective, then maybe 'Tommy' and 'Who's Next' are better, from a song-writing point of view (never been a fan of 'Success Story' and 'In a Hand or a Face', to be honest) but 'By Numbers' is just the record that I play more often. It resonates with me more, I guess (not sure if resonates is the right word here though, I'm not an alcoholic rock star ha2ha, but you get my point).

*I've read somewhere that this was Moon's favourite song on the album and that he even cried when Pete played it to him.

And seeing My Generation (at least the US version) at #8 is a bit hard to dig. True, it was a very primitive record, but that's the same reason that makes it special in my opinion. Beyond the title track (a revolutionary classic), I find several enjoyable tunes like "The Kids Are Alright", "Instant Party (Circles)", "The Good's Gone", "It's Not True", "A Legal Matter"... The two quite boring covers surely bring the rating down, but most of the rest even have an historic feeling.

I love both 'A Quick One' and 'My Generation', but when it comes down to choosing one of them, I'd definitely go with the former. I think you were lenient in calling the James Brown covers boring - to me they're kind of horrible. Plus, I'm a big of fan of the mini-suite.

Also, I listened to 'Face Dances' last night for the first time and was hugely disappointed. What do you think of it?

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2013, 02:36:46 PM »

I was a bit skeptical at first, having read the not-so-glowing-reviews and thinking that there is no way the album was going to stand a chance to the greatness of 'Quadrophenia', but the album has quickly grown on me after a few listens. It's Pete's most personal record and maybe that's why I like it so much. It's modest and unambitious and that's welcomed with me as well. I think it was the best decision at the moment; something even more ambitious than Quadrophenia would've probably failed. None of the songs are Who classics but I love most of them, with 'Imagine a Man', 'They're All In Love', 'Blue, Red and Grey' and 'How Many Friends'* as my absolute highlights. If I were to be objective, then maybe 'Tommy' and 'Who's Next' are better, from a song-writing point of view (never been a fan of 'Success Story' and 'In a Hand or a Face', to be honest) but 'By Numbers' is just the record that I play more often. It resonates with me more, I guess (not sure if resonates is the right word here though, I'm not an alcoholic rock star ha2ha, but you get my point).

*I've read somewhere that this was Moon's favourite song on the album and that he even cried when Pete played it to him.

I think that "Slip Kid" and "Squeeze Box" could have certain status of classics, actually. "Imagine A Man" is a beautiful ballad, and I've always liked "How Many Friends" a lot. Your're right when you say that it's Pete's most personal record, in fact he sang lead vocal en several songs. And Quadrophenia was by far the most ambitious proyect of the band (at least a finished proyect), so it's not surprising that Pete had taken a break here. Maybe you feel the same way about The Who By Numbers as I feel about Who Are You, a misunderstood album in my opinion.

I love both 'A Quick One' and 'My Generation', but when it comes down to choosing one of them, I'd definitely go with the former. I think you were lenient in calling the James Brown covers boring - to me they're kind of horrible. Plus, I'm a big of fan of the mini-suite.

I like both of those albums too, but My Generation has an intriguing sound that really catchs me. I think the best songs in A Quick One were written by John, but Keith and Roger wasted their opportunity as songwriters. The mini-rock opera is an historic piece, but probably the live versions are better.

Also, I listened to 'Face Dances' last night for the first time and was hugely disappointed. What do you think of it?

I think it's a decent album, beyond its slight 80's pop tinge I dislike so much. It would be at #9 in my studio albums list anyway (It's Hard, the next album, is really awful). My favorite songs are "You Better You Bet" and "You".
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 02:39:59 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2013, 06:49:04 PM »

And Quadrophenia was by far the most ambitious proyect of the band (at least a finished proyect), so it's not surprising that Pete had taken a break here.

Yeah, rumour has it that he wanted to dissolve the band after 'Quadrophenia'.

I think it's a decent album, beyond its slight 80's pop tinge I dislike so much. It would be at #9 in my studio albums list anyway (It's Hard, the next album, is really awful). My favorite songs are "You Better You Bet" and "You".

'You Better You Bet' was about the only song that caught my attention while listening to the record. On the other hand, John's pseudo-heavy metal delivery on 'The Quiet One' and those stupid repeated backing vocals on 'Did You Steal My Money' made me wonder if any of the original members gave a damn about the band at the time.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2014, 10:15:32 PM »

Happy Birthday, Pete! 

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2014, 08:48:32 PM »

Just found this online—the Top 10 Underrated Pete Townshend Songs—and thought I'd share it here. I definitely agree with Numbers 1 and 2, but "Stardom in Acton" at No. 4? I must be missing something.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pete-townshend-underrated-songs/

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2014, 09:57:53 PM »

The clue's in the web-site title - 'Ultimate Classic Rock'.
Anything calling itself that has to be c***!
I doubt anyone conducting this list has heard a Who record before 'Tommy'.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2014, 03:37:50 AM »

The Who didn't record many covers (they didn't need to), but I really love this one:

The Who - Heat Wave 1967

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2014, 01:01:03 PM »

The Who didn't record many covers (they didn't need to), but I really love this one:
 Heat Wave 1967

I always liked their cover of that, too.

Well, these types of lists are always so subjective. I could probably rattle off 10 more off the top of my head that I personally think are underrated.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2014, 01:18:35 PM »

The clue's in the web-site title - 'Ultimate Classic Rock'.
Anything calling itself that has to be c***!

Absolutely nothing wrong with the list. Both pre and post-Tommy Who have been talked about a whole lot, it's nice to see that solo Pete gets a bit of attention for a change. Some of us do get bored and do listen/read about other things than the well-established classics, you know.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 01:21:13 PM by Ovi »

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2014, 09:16:04 AM »

Maybe I'm just not meant for Pete Townshend concept albums from the dire 1980s.

Personally, I can't stand The Who after (and, if I'm honest, largely during) 'Tommy'. The mid-60s group is another thing entirely.

It's good that the 'Tommy'/post-'Tommy' stuff comes under the umbrella title of 'Ultimate Classic Rock'.....it's put under that title so the likes of me can avoid it like the plague. Sort of a public service announcement!

What The Who turned into is a shining example of why The Beatles' split was a very, very good thing.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2014, 09:44:55 AM »

Maybe I'm just not meant for Pete Townshend concept albums from the dire 1980s.

Have you heard them?

It's good that the 'Tommy'/post-'Tommy' stuff comes under the umbrella title of 'Ultimate Classic Rock'.....it's put under that title so the likes of me can avoid it like the plague. Sort of a public service announcement!

60's classics are pretty much considered 'classic rock' as well. Things like My Generation, I Can't Get No Satisfaction, You Really Got Me etc. I hate the term too, but it doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the songs themselves.

What The Who turned into is a shining example of why The Beatles' split was a very, very good thing.

I think with 'Live at Leeds' the band went on a stage to places The Beatles never would dream of. And 'Who By Numbers' is an unusually sincere and subdued album for a big rock 'n' roll band. There's far, far less bombast there then in things like 'Who Sell Out' or the 'A Quick One While He's Away' mini-opera.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2014, 09:34:30 AM »

Heard 'White City' in the dire 1980s - awful contemporary production; impenetrable, tedious  'concept'.
They even did a South Bank Special on it with an earnest (is there any other kind?) Townshend explaining it. Yikes!

I'm afraid I can't stand 'Live at Leeds', to me it's just noise for the sake of noise, and the beginnings of 'rock' being played three miles away from the audience. NOT a positive advance. 

This morning on BBC Five Live a guy (it categorically would NOT be a woman!!!!!) from 'Classic Rock' magazine was on talking about Jack Bruce, I'd be amazed if he'd got the phone call if Paul had died.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2015, 08:25:18 AM »

Gear yourself up for yet another Who reissue campaign.
Why? Cos all the Who CDs in London appear to be currently priced at £3.

So if you got the frankly awful Shel Talmy 'deluxe' reissue of 'My Generation' a few years ago, be prepared for a 'super-super-super deluxe' version of it and its bed-fellows.

Personally, I'd make do with a British As and Bs compilation - 1964-68.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2015, 04:05:15 PM »

So if you got the frankly awful Shel Talmy 'deluxe' reissue of 'My Generation' a few years ago, be prepared for a 'super-super-super deluxe' version of it and its bed-fellows.

I've been meaning to Google that "deluxe" reissue. Just the thought of such a release makes me cringe ahead of time. I have to run now, but I'm definitely going to look that one up online later.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2015, 11:16:45 PM »

I've been meaning to Google that "deluxe" reissue. Just the thought of such a release makes me cringe ahead of time. I have to run now, but I'm definitely going to look that one up online later.

Found it, and found the vinyl LP it reminded me of. That "deluxe" reissue looks like a mash-up of the original My Generation LP and Who's Missing.

I love The Who, but they've released 'way too many best-of LPs.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2015, 02:01:11 PM »

Now I'm in no danger (that's 'absolutely' no danger) of buying a Queen record, but their 'Deep Cuts' series seems an imaginative, and surprisingly cheap, way of introducing people to their catalogue while, at the same time, giving something a bit different to their existing fans.

Every Who compilation seems to put all the same songs in all the same order.
'I Can't Explain', 'Anyway Anyhow Anywhere', 'My Generation', 'The Kids Are Alright', 'Substitute', I'm A Boy', 'Happy Jack', 'Boris The Spider', 'Pictures of Lily'.....have I missed one yet?!

'The Who As and Bs' compilation please, it's a no-brainer.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2015, 02:15:00 AM »

'I Can't Explain', 'Anyway Anyhow Anywhere', 'My Generation', 'The Kids Are Alright', 'Substitute', I'm A Boy', 'Happy Jack', 'Boris The Spider', 'Pictures of Lily'.....have I missed one yet?!

"I Can See For Miles"?   ;D

I agree with you there, old brown shoe.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2015, 04:48:34 PM »

The compilation I have (My Generation - The Very Best Of The Who) does not include "The Kids Are Alright" (which can be found in their debut album anyway), but the rest of the list is the same. Although half of the songs are repeated in their original albums, I'm pretty glad with this compilation because it includes the essential non-album singles from the 60's and some non-album singles from the 70's that not every compilation contains ("The Seeker"; "Let's See Action"; "Join Together"). But you're right, the Who's discography lacks a compilation like Past Masters or A's & B's.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Page created in 1.93 seconds with 77 queries.