Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Do you remember the 70's?  (Read 1109 times)

Wayne L.

Do you remember the 70's?
« on: August 20, 2006, 03:28:02 PM »

I grew up during the 70's & it was great being young, wild & free watching TV, listening to the radio & albums, going to the movies & looking at the girls at the time.  It's too bad the young people of today look at the 70's, the way I used to look at the 40's,  because it was the last decade of the youth & rock & roll revolution.  That 70's Show never did capture the times as far as I'm concerned, except only slightly, since it went in all kinds of directions, unlike Happy Days.  I saw Jaws three times during the summer of 75, I got the White Album from my late grandma for Christmas back in 76 & I had lots of crushes on girls in those days, believe me.  You know with all the controversy surrounding teacher/student love affairs these days, I had crushes on some of my teachers, especialy around seventh grade in 76/77.  I remember two with great bodies, great legs & sexy feet, which got me excited as a kid , but nothing ever happened, of course.  Listening to Zeppelin, Sabbath, Skynyrd, Alice Cooper, Ted Nugent, Eagles, ELO, Fleetwood Mac, Aerosmith, Kiss, AC/DC & Van Halen when they were happening was great.  I know most of my peers used to get stoned, but I never did thankfully, even though I was close to doing it.  I give my parents lots of credit & my rock hero at the time Nugent, for me deciding not to get wasted.  My favorite shows were What's Happening, Laverne & Shirley, Starsky & Hutch, Charlie's Angels, Sonny & Cher & the first five years of SNL, just to name a few.  I remember the decade of the 70's & it's too bad you can't turn back the clock, because it was more than just disco, which was just a fad, even though the mainstream media won't admit it.  

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
Re: Do you remember the 70's?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 03:51:13 AM »

Quote from: Wayne_L.
I know most of my peers used to get stoned, but I never did thankfully, even though I was close to doing it

yeah, right

mih ssim mih ssim ,won daed si luap

"LSD is a drug made famous by John Lennon and Paul Mccartney"
 &nb

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 04:17:13 AM »

I wish today was more like the 70s. You make it sound so cool...it makes me wish I was a young kid in the seventies. The music was awsome, the clothes and the hair styles were badass. Long thick sideburns were the trend(I have long thick side burns like Lennon had in 1969 during Let it be:) I get made fun of sometimes, but who cares)The only reason I wouldn't want to live in the 70s is because of the Vietnam war:P I wouldn't want to get drafted and have to fight in that nasty war. The 70s was about giving peace a chance..and sadly its a  thing the youth of today have forgotten.

RICKENBACKER325

• "Life is what happens while you busy making other plans"
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Its always been about the music !
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 05:18:19 AM »

Well......hummmm...let's see the 1970's ......oh yeah, I remember them...... inflation, Watergate, Viet nam, gas shortage (they've been pulling that one for decades), Opec, turmoil in the middle east, rolling energy blackouts, disco, plaid clothes, bell bottoms, shoes with inch and a half heel sometimes thicker though, Afro's on white guys also called a whoa, shall I go on? It wasn't that great. The only saving grace was the cool rock music being made by Skynyrd, Who, Wings, ELO, Led Zepplin, Nugent, V-H, and others. Also maybe baseball before the "free agent". Back then there were not any 10 million a year players and you knew your favorite player would be with your favorite team next year unless they retired, but baseball stadiums had astro-turf so baseball had it's problems in the 70's too........Ah yes, the simple times. You know  you really don't have to look back on the 70's, we are living in a mirro image today, just the names and some of the places have changed, but..........The song remains the same...... 8)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 08:08:18 AM »

My abiding memory of the seventies is everyone going on about how cool the sixties were, and how unlucky we were to have just missed it.
Somethings never change.
don't follow leaders

joan was quizzical

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 08:20:22 AM »

Quote from: kevin_b
My abiding memory of the seventies is everyone going on about how cool the sixties were, and how unlucky we were to have just missed it.
Somethings never change.

Touche.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 09:00:32 AM »

Well, the music sure was a lot better in the 60s than in the 70s...

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 09:39:51 AM »

I think its a tribute to the impact of the sixties that nostalgia for it was so instant. Everyone new that something great and unique had occured.
Not many in the 60's pinned for  the 50's (except Elvis), or in the 80's for the 70's etc.
don't follow leaders

Taxgirl

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 12:21:22 PM »

Yeah, the 70's must have been cool... :) The 60's even more so... But I was born in 1981 so I dont remember these decades.::)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 04:27:55 PM »

Quote from: RICKENBACKER325
Well......hummmm...let's see the 1970's ......oh yeah, I remember them...... inflation, Watergate, Viet nam, gas shortage (they've been pulling that one for decades), Opec, turmoil in the middle east, rolling energy blackouts, disco, plaid clothes, bell bottoms, shoes with inch and a half heel sometimes thicker though, Afro's on white guys also called a whoa, shall I go on? It wasn't that great. The only saving grace was the cool rock music being made by Skynyrd, Who, Wings, ELO, Led Zepplin, Nugent, V-H, and others. Also maybe baseball before the "free agent". Back then there were not any 10 million a year players and you knew your favorite player would be with your favorite team next year unless they retired, but baseball stadiums had astro-turf so baseball had it's problems in the 70's too........Ah yes, the simple times. You know  you really don't have to look back on the 70's, we are living in a mirro image today, just the names and some of the places have changed, but..........The song remains the same...... 8)

Well said Ric.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 06:56:55 PM »

Quote from: RICKENBACKER325

i started reading this and i could've sworn that you were listing current problems. you know, troublesome, incompetant president. check! unwanted war. checkaroony! oil problems, checkandahalf. Problems in the middle east, as if there isnt anything else. bad fashion sense...i personally dont like seeing men's boxers but whatever.

;D
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

RICKENBACKER325

• "Life is what happens while you busy making other plans"
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Its always been about the music !
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 01:50:08 AM »

Thanks TK and you to Dude. I just calls'em as I sees'em...... ;D The times they aren't a changin all that much. Like I said .....The Song remains The Same. But if you want to catch some of the cooler thing about the 70's check out the movie "Dazed and Confused" It did managed to capture some of the cool things about the 70's.... sex, drugs, and rock and roll.  Oh, I almost forgot muscle cars and drinking..... ;D

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 06:35:24 PM »

hahaha, yes that is a great movie. one of my favorites...and besides, you get to see ben afleck get paint on his face
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

twistandshout

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 06:56:49 PM »

Yes Wayne, I made it thru the 70's. Same story, different day (or decade) however you wish to look at it.
Wayne L., immortalized in song and dance

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 73 queries.