Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: Which Beatle book are you reading right now?  (Read 87675 times)

Pasta Cheif

• Getting Better
Re: Which Beatle book are you reading right now?
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2007, 09:39:38 AM »

Just starting on ' Beatles- The Dream Is Over'.
"Dont take life seriously, you'll never get out of it alive"

NoraNora4

• A Beginning
  • Ive just seen a face i can't forget
    • ElliesSpace:)
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2007, 10:51:38 AM »

I just finished reading - The Beatles unseen.

But now i'm reading The Beatles - Stories behind the songs...

Does Patti's biography count..?
<br />Thank god for the Beatles for taking the worlds heart and never returning it.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2007, 02:51:46 PM »

Quote from: 806
Does Patti's biography count..?
I would say, absolutely! Who's likely to read it besides Beatles fans? (I think Eric fans would want to avoid it...)

What do you think of the books you just read? I haven't read either of those. My library doesn't have them.

At the moment I'm reading Paul's biography 'Many Years From Now' by Barry Miles. I'm halfway through and Paul appears to spend very little time with the Beatles, apart from songwriting with John. It's very much a solo biography. We'll see what I think when I get done with it.

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

NoraNora4

• A Beginning
  • Ive just seen a face i can't forget
    • ElliesSpace:)
« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2007, 04:04:44 PM »

Okay:)

Theyre both very good actually,

And Patties biographies brilliant too, Some new things i never knew:D

xoxo
<br />Thank god for the Beatles for taking the worlds heart and never returning it.

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2007, 10:10:39 PM »

I finished Tony Bramwell's "Magical Mystery Tours, My Life With The Beatles" a few weeks ago, it was pretty good. And now I'm reading the "The Beatles Authorized Biography".
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

foolonthehill

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2007, 01:26:59 AM »

I am reading Cynthia Lennons book.

« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2007, 02:55:49 AM »

I'm re-reading Paul's autobiography "Many Years From Now" (co-written by Barry Miles who is really excellent)(Barry & John Dunbar are long-time friends of Macca from the days of the Indica Art gallery)

Paul pretty much tells his life story--all the previously known facts about meeting John at the church fete, the infamous Hamburg days, the Cavern etc., all the way to his post Beatles, Wings period and beyond. My favorite section of the book is "The Making of the Albums", in which he dissects nearly every Lennon/McCartney song and tells us his degree of contribution to each one. After reading this lengthy book, I got the general feeling that Paul was very much in competion with John, artistically, and that he was trying to assert (even more than just convey)his importance in the Beatles. The book is simultaneously egomaniacal yet extremely informative. He basically gives the inspiration for almost all the songs he and John wrote together. For that alone, it's a great read (if you can stomach McCartney's excessive bragging)

« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2007, 04:15:00 AM »

as far as factual errors, I'll with hold judgement on that...Paul was closer to the subject than I was. He was a Beatle, I wasn't. Any autobigraphy is riddled with personal perception, but I believe 98% of his recollection (factually) What I wasn't too thrilled about was his unabashed pomposity....but he's easily forgiven by me when I think of all the joy he gave me with his music over the years. Let the clinical, emotion-less future archivists sort out the veracity of his claims, he's PAUL McCARTNEY FOR CHRISSAKE! HE WROTE YESTERDAY, CASE CLOSED.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2007, 01:35:25 PM »

Quote from: 829
I'm re-reading Paul's autobiography "Many Years From Now" (co-written by Barry Miles who is really excellent)

Excellant Book, can't believe it's about 10 years old!! :o
Interesting view point's from Macca as well, he has a good memory
(almost full! :P)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

BlueMeanie

« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2007, 02:45:33 PM »

After reading this lengthy book, I got the general feeling that Paul was very much in competion with John, artistically, and that he was trying to assert (even more than just convey)his importance in the Beatles.

I think the reason they kept pumping out great songs in no time at all, especially earlier on, is undoubtedly the competition between the two of them. I'm sure they both wanted the A side of every single that came out.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2007, 02:59:30 PM »

Quote from: 483

I think the reason they kept pumping out great songs in no time at all, especially earlier on, is undoubtedly the competition between the two of them. I'm sure they both wanted the A side of every single that came out.

We have been down this road many a time, but I agree. I would go as far as to say competition was vital to their success, far more so than any dreams of some brotherly commune. Songs had to fight for their place on albums and as singles, something most other bands don't have to consider, there normally being one dominant talent (or a lyrics/music combo)
don't follow leaders

« Reply #131 on: September 20, 2007, 09:06:38 PM »

Quote from: 614

Excellant Book, can't believe it's about 10 years old!! :o
Interesting view point's from Macca as well, he has a good memory
(almost full! :P)

by the way--and I know I should be shot for this, but I think I'm the only one who hasnt heard Almost Full yet..
*hangs head in shame*

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #132 on: September 20, 2007, 10:19:50 PM »

by the way--and I know I should be shot for this, but I think I'm the only one who hasnt heard Almost Full yet..
*hangs head in shame*

:o :o :o What! You don't know what your missing!!!

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Pasta Cheif

• Getting Better
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2007, 01:52:04 AM »

Now starting on 'Day By Day, Song By Song, Record By Record'.
&quot;Dont take life seriously, you'll never get out of it alive&quot;

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2007, 04:23:16 PM »

I just finished Can't Buy Me Love: The Beatles, Britain, and America by Jonathan Gould. What a wonderful book! Unlike some of these hack jobs, this is truly a labor of love. Gould has obviously loved and appreciated the Beatles for a long time, and as a result has created the only Beatles biography that I would actually care to own (besides Hunter Davies' for its historical relevance).

Gould approaches his subject from 3 essential viewpoints: the history of the Beatles themselves (the more traditional biography), an analysis of their music, and (the highpoint for me) setting their music in the historial and musical context of the times. The controversy surrounding "Revolution", for example, becomes much more understandable when you see, there in a nutshell, the kinds of protests and street fighting that was taking place around the globe. Knowing that the song "And Your Bird Can Sing" was written about Frank Sinatra certainly boosts my appreciation.  ;D

In addition to being fanatically researched (which I love), the book is written in a delightful style. Gould's words are warm and accessible, his reflections well-considered. He's throwing out an opinion, obviously, but this is an opinion he has mulled probably for years. I found it all fascinating and a really great read. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn about the Beatles in the context of their times or simply appreciate their music once again from a thoughtful standpoint. Cheers!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

« Reply #135 on: October 13, 2007, 09:38:13 PM »

Quote from: 551
relevance).

Gould approaches . Knowing that the song "And Your Bird Can Sing" was written about Frank Sinatra certainly boosts my appreciation.  ;D

WOW !!! had NO idea about that ... an 'Ol Blue Eyes diss ?That took guts !! ;D The words are so cutting in "Bird" (--no doubt, that was John) Cheers!..even though I'm half Italian myself, AND from the same homestate as Sinatra, I've always felt he was just a glorified thug. I must confess though, George seemed to have more favorable opinions on old Frank--(you'll hear that a bit on the Dark Horse album)..and don't forget, F. S. gave Harrison the ULTIMATE compliment saying "Something" was "the greatest love song written in the last 50 years (at the time)"

-km

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2007, 03:41:11 AM »

You would love this book, MMM. :) The story is, Frank took a swipe at the Beatles first-- and John will not be swiped at! "Bird" was a favorite term of Old Blue Eyes, hence the lyric. I think Frank (as many other established performers) was forced to eat crow (heh) when the Beatles turned into an enduring musical phenomenon, not just a fad as most people (including the Beatles) had started out believing. I just adore their brazen "Oh, yeah?" attitude. That is a special gift of youth; may it never die!

« Reply #137 on: October 14, 2007, 09:12:23 PM »

Quote from: 551
You would love this book, MMM. :) The story is, Frank took a swipe at the Beatles first-- and John will not be swiped at! "Bird" was a favorite term of Old Blue Eyes, hence the lyric. I think Frank (as many other established performers) was forced to eat crow (heh) when the Beatles turned into an enduring musical phenomenon, not just a fad as most people (including the Beatles) had started out believing. I just adore their brazen "Oh, yeah?" attitude. That is a special gift of youth; may it never die!

that is nothing short of awesome, Hari! I know what you meant when you said most ppl including the Beatles themselves never dreamed of the success they would ultimately reach. There's a bit of old footage from late '63 or early '64 (used in "The Compleat Beatles", I believe) that has the boys talking about where they would be years from now. It's so ironic now, Ringo for instance, saying things in his souse accent like "I hope to open up a lady's hair salon"--I'm paraphrasing, of course, but something along those lines. They had NO IDEA....
it seems almost endearing in retrospect that they would think like that, in such modest terms. It's charming to see things like that preserved on film. It was an innocent time.
As for Sinatra eating crow...........YES !!!!!   The best revenge is SUCCESS...and we'll all agree The Fab had a hefty portion (ya think Kev ? lol) another "rat pack" type to eat crow was Dean Martin--like I described in another post, he pretty much thought the Stones were a joke....yeah RIGHT, Dino...did HE sell as many records as Jagger & Co.??  Dont think so. Vindication is sweet ;D *snicker* *snicker* *snicker*

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #138 on: October 15, 2007, 05:46:09 AM »

Here There & Everywhere: My Life Recording the Beatles

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #139 on: October 15, 2007, 10:57:08 AM »

^Just like George M is there talking to you in this book....Really enjoyed it.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 89 queries.