Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cassette Tapes  (Read 3651 times)

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
Re: Cassette Tapes
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 12:40:14 AM »

If there anyone out there who call recall if there was a fuss made over the changing of the order of tracks on Beatles cassettes?

In 1987 there was much debate over whether the first four LPs should have been re-issued in mono (which they were) or stereo, but changing the track order is scandalous!

It seems incredible to me that EMI should have thought it appropriate (whatever they might have said about running order times) to re-arrange, say, 'Revolver', and I can't believe there wouldn't have been complaints.

Just about every cassette had a different track order.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/BtleCas3.html
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

nimrod

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 01:05:36 AM »

God I used to do that. Plonk the cassette player next to the stereo or radio and press record. You couldn't even call it Lo Fi.  More like No Fi.

It was such a revelation when I got a cassette player that was integrated into the stereo and would record properly.

I remember one of the most exciting purchases I ever made was a portable stereo radio cassette (with double cassettes)

suddenly being able to record anything off the radio and being able to copy cassettes from mates, the library etc

Its a wonder I didnt wear the thing out , in fact I think I did  ha2ha

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 01:36:54 AM »

I remember one of the most exciting purchases I ever made was a portable stereo radio cassette (with double cassettes)

suddenly being able to record anything off the radio and being able to copy cassettes from mates, the library etc

Kids today have it so easy pirating music. Just send a bloody file. Lazy Gen Y sods

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 01:41:23 AM »

The pinnacle of my cassette use was one of those Teac four track recorders. With bouncing down you could maybe squeeze it into a six or seven track before quality loss overwhelmed. You then mixed down to another cassette player.

nimrod

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 02:00:35 AM »

The pinnacle of my cassette use was one of those Teac four track recorders. With bouncing down you could maybe squeeze it into a six or seven track before quality loss overwhelmed. You then mixed down to another cassette player.

I had a Fostex one of those moog, great machine for 4 tracks !!

KelMar

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 05:21:02 AM »

God I used to do that. Plonk the cassette player next to the stereo or radio and press record. You couldn't even call it Lo Fi.  More like No Fi.

It was such a revelation when I got a cassette player that was integrated into the stereo and would record properly.

Ha ha! I'll bet we were both doing that around the same time. But you asked for a hand-up for 8-tracks. That's what my first stereo had and I made all kinds of tapes to listen to in my parents' car and then mine. No one could have mistaken them for professional but they beat the radio stations I had to choose from! Come to think of it, I've never really lived anywhere with a decent radio station. Hmm..

KelMar

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 07:11:05 PM »

I guess time is relative.  What you considered a "long time" when you made that cassette was really just one year.  The album was released in 1970.  Jesus Christ Superstar opened on Broadway in 1971. 

I'm pretty sure of these dates, Kelley, but you can always verify that with Jesus on Facebook.   ;)

I meant the show Beatlemania Barry. I made the tape when I was 8 or 9 years old and labeled it "Beatlemania". That would predate the Broadway show of the same name by 6 or 7 years, a very long time in kid-years. 

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 11:31:52 PM »

Ha ha! I'll bet we were both doing that around the same time. But you asked for a hand-up for 8-tracks. That's what my first stereo had and I made all kinds of tapes to listen to in my parents' car and then mine. No one could have mistaken them for professional but they beat the radio stations I had to choose from! Come to think of it, I've never really lived anywhere with a decent radio station. Hmm..

8 track interested me because until I moved to the US as a teenager I'd never even heard of it. If they had them in Oz at the time that must have been a very niche market. It was vinyl and cassette only. The house we moved into had a couple of 8 track players and some tapes. I was always fascinated how the tape would click over to the next side midway through a song. I assume they must have had advantages in sound fidelity since they seemed an ungainly medium. 

KelMar

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 01:47:22 AM »

I was always fascinated how the tape would click over to the next side midway through a song.

Yeah, that was always strange but like I said in another thread that just became part of the song for me.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2014, 03:35:40 PM »

No, I don't miss them.  I had fun making some mixed tapes, but then the memories of taping and rebuilding my copy of Sgt. Peppers enters the mind.  Nice to be able to just skip to the song you want now.  Give me CD's all of the time.

nimrod

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 10:11:02 PM »

No, I don't miss them.  I had fun making some mixed tapes, but then the memories of taping and rebuilding my copy of Sgt. Peppers enters the mind.  Nice to be able to just skip to the song you want now.  Give me CD's all of the time.

Thats the ting though Todd, now its too easy for you to skip While My Guitar so you never appreciate its greatness  ha2ha
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.759 seconds with 58 queries.