Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: World Cup 2010  (Read 40839 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
World Cup 2010
« on: May 14, 2010, 09:23:57 AM »

Just four weeks to go! Is anyone else here already really excited about this?

Bobber

Re: World Cup 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 08:26:09 AM »

Not yet, but I'm pretty sure I will be as we get closer to the start of the event. Any favourites?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 09:03:45 AM »

Hard to say. I think "our" team has enough quality to get far, but we're usually not cold blooded enough. When a match goes into extra time or penalty shootouts, we almost always lose cause it seems that we somehow can't control our nerves like some other teams can. And that usually breaks us up.

If I'd have to bet some serious money I'd put it on either Spain or Brazil.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:14:17 AM by Joost »

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 09:27:11 AM »

Now the FA cup is over, my attention is getting more focused. I think Argentina will be a good bet this year...Messi is on fire! The older you get, the harder it is to get excited about Englands chances. You never know, it's a game of 2 halfs and I always have Italy to root for when England go out. heheh
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 09:34:56 AM »

Now the FA cup is over, my attention is getting more focused. I think Argentina will be a good bet this year...Messi is on fire! The older you get, the harder it is to get excited about Englands chances. You never know, it's a game of 2 halfs and I always have Italy to root for when England go out. heheh

If Argentina does well, it'll definately be despite Maradona. The guy obviously doesn't have a clue what he's doing. He's selected over 100 (!) players in two years time and once he even selected a player without knowing he was in the hospital with a heavy injury. The results were pretty bad too, they just barely qualified and lost 6-1 to Bolivia.

It's hard to understand why England never impresses on the big tournaments. They've always had excellent players, but I was surprised to find out that they haven't played a World Cup or European Championship final match since 1966! I guess they've got the same problem the Dutch have at these tournaments, and probably even worse.

But you'll never know, until two years ago Spain also seemed to have the same problem.

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 01:11:50 PM »

A usual problem is the big ego's that players bring into a team. That's exactly why Spain's team acted so well in 2008. So called stars were left behind and Spain made clear that football is still a team effort. It's the reason why the Dutch always have problems. As soon as one or two matches are won, the ego's get too big.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 01:42:49 PM »

A usual problem is the big ego's that players bring into a team. That's exactly why Spain's team acted so well in 2008. So called stars were left behind and Spain made clear that football is still a team effort. It's the reason why the Dutch always have problems. As soon as one or two matches are won, the ego's get too big.

I don't think that's the problem, to be honest. There are other countries with much bigger players with much bigger egos and they seem to be doing just fine. Apart from Van Persie, Robben, Sneijder and Van der Vaart none of our players even really qualify as "stars", and those four all play on positions where they've got some serious competition from other players so they can't really afford to screw up.

I think the main reason why the Dutch team usually fails at the big tournaments is because they can't control their nerves (remember when we missed FIVE penalties in one match, against Italy in 2000?) and because for the last two decades or so we didn't really have any players that could stand up to lead the way when the going got tough. We were always too "nice", so to speak. Currently however, we've got players like Van Bommel (the most annoying prick on the pitch since Lothar Matthaus), Boulahrouz (Cristiano Ronaldo will probably call in sick if he'll have to play against him again) and Huntelaar (who may still look like a rookie but can be a nasty MF if necessary). So that's promising.

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 07:00:01 AM »

We'll see. ;D

An African teams you favour? The event usually produces a champion from the continent where the tournament is held.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 07:23:10 AM »

I don't expect much from the African teams. They never do that well in the World Cup and the last Africa Cup tournament was at times just painful to watch. Thing is that there are a lot of excellent African players but somehow they never really make a good solid team. They always seem disorganized. I'd be very surprised if the next world champion would be from any other continent than Europe or South America.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 08:04:29 AM »

I can't see an African team doing well. they may have individual stars but as teams they seem to lack the cohesion and infrastructure that the big corporate winners have. I think it will be one of the normal suspects. And yes, you Johny foreigners not resident somewhere between the Rhine and the Oder may thank us English for taking out Ballack on Saturday. You're welcome.
don't follow leaders

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 01:22:07 PM »

And yes, you Johny foreigners not resident somewhere between the Rhine and the Oder may thank us English for taking out Ballack on Saturday. You're welcome.

The player who "took him out", Kevin-Prince Boateng, is from Ghana.

And ironically, Ghana is in the same group as Germany in the World Cup. Although something tells me that might not be entirely coincidental.

Even more ironically, Boateng was born and raised in Germany and his brother plays for the German national team.

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 09:50:42 PM »

Go the Socceroos!!  I'm all set to get up at all hours to watch the World Cup.  The football gods are smiling on Australia: no Ballack or Essien.

Now we just need Harry to be fit and Timmy will be pouring in the goals.   AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!  OI OI OI!!!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 09:58:14 PM »

I was in the stadium both time Australia played in Holland in the last few years and I was impressed both times. A very tough and difficult opponent. Even though their group is probably the toughest of them all, I can see them progressing one or two rounds.

Bobber

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 10:19:24 AM »

A magazine over here has formed a virtual team of all players that were not selected for their national teams. Amazing to see some great Argentinian players in that team. They predicted that this team could be a semi finalist and looking at the names, they could be correct. We will never know.

Keeper: Piet Velthuyzen (Netherlands/Vitesse Arnhem). Defense: Gabriel Milito (Argentina/Barcelona), Alex (Brazil/Chelsea), Hedwiges Maduro (Netherlands/Valencia), Javier Zanetti (Argentina/Internazionale). Midfield: Fernando Gago (Argentina/Real Madrid), Esteban Cambiasso (Argentina/Internazionale), Samir Nasri (France/Arsenal), Clarence Seedorf (Netherlands/AC Milan), Pato (Brazil). Attack: Ruud van Nistelrooy (Netherlands/Hamburger SV). Coach: Guus Hiddink.  Substitutes: Ronaldinho (Brazil), Luca Toni (Italy), Kevin Kuranyi (Germany), Diego (Brazil/Juventus), Karim Benzema (France/Real Madrid).

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 08:12:49 AM »

England at least have the best football songs. Three Lions - the unofficial natiobnal anthem since 1996. It's very good actually.
And yes, there was a German player called Kuntz.

Three Lions
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 08:24:05 AM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 08:18:52 AM »

Or New Order's World In Motion...

New Order. World in motion video (Best quality).avi
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 08:26:27 AM »

God, I'm getting excited now. C'mon England.
You know who I want to see wasted - Brazil. I'm sick of their smug self assurance and their aren't-they-prettier than yours girls. I want to see them demolished by some sensible european team. Samba to that.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 08:27:58 AM »

England at least have the best football songs.

I remember that wonderful song made by Nottingham Forest.  ha2ha

Nottingham Forest

Gerry Marsden did make an excellent effort, I have to admit.

Gerry & The Pacemakers - You'll Never Walk Alone
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 08:31:41 AM by Bobber »

Bobber

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 08:34:58 AM »

You know who I want to see wasted - Brazil. I'm sick of their smug self assurance and their aren't-they-prettier than yours girls. I want to see them demolished by some sensible european team. Samba to that.

I recognize the feeling. God, I'm hoping they're losing their first match against North Korea. ha2ha

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 08:47:52 AM »

Fat Lez - Vindaloo. You'd never have known a large portion of the nation was off it's nut on ecsatcy at the time...

Fat Les - Vindaloo [Official Video]
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 08:56:58 AM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Page created in 0.409 seconds with 76 queries.