Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: George  (Read 4534 times)

starofwonder

• A Beginning
George
« on: November 22, 2011, 05:38:05 PM »

I think....  Dont  Bother Me   ....  was  George's  first  attempt  at  songwriting...

wow   wot  a  debut...  a brilliant song  and  it   showed that  George  was a very talented  songwriter
as well as  a top musician.
 His  recent  film biog  shows George  with so many interests....  Formula One racing....
 George Formby.....    the Hare Krishna  guys and gals..... the  Travelling Wilburies....
 the  Movies   he  financed.....
He had so many irons in the fire ....   not to mention his keen interest in gardening too !

The film also showed us wot  a lovely  lady he was married.. Olivia   and  his  son  Dhani
...  wot  a charming  young  guy.

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
Re: George
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 06:27:21 PM »

as Solo Writer Yes you forgot the flowers/garden

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 09:22:56 PM »

I didn't really think this deserved its own thread, so I chose this one to post in. Just read in a fictitious novel about a former nightclub in 1960s NYC that was named after George's nickname for his haircut, "Arthur." Just Googled this and found out it's true. (I bet most of you already know this, but thought I'd share anyway, just in case..). It was founded by Sybil Christopher (see obit clip below; she just passed in March).

I thought "Arthur" was one of the cute remarks made during the Beatles' first trip to America, but according to the obit it's in AHDN. (Hard to keep Beatle facts straight sometimes!)

Ms. Christopher, the first wife of the actor Richard Burton — both were Welsh-born — first became widely known in the United States in 1963 as the injured party in the first of Mr. Burton’s several divorces. He left her to marry Elizabeth Taylor after months of intense gossip about their affair, which at the time was considered a shocking scandal. Ms. Christopher (Ms. Burton at the time) and Mr. Burton had been living in Southern California.

Ms. Christopher apparently inherited most of the friends from their marriage, at least those in New York, where she moved soon after the divorce to settle with her two young daughters in an apartment on Central Park West. When she decided to open a discotheque in 1965 on the site of the old El Morocco, at 154 East 54th Street, she raised money from hundreds of people, most of them New York friends, including Roddy McDowall, Julie Andrews, Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim.

They called it Arthur, she said, in honor of a George Harrison quip in the Beatles’ 1964 film, “A Hard Day’s Night.” After someone asked him the name of his hairstyle, he replied, “Arthur.”

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 04:02:20 AM »

I thought "Arthur" was one of the cute remarks made during the Beatles' first trip to America, but according to the obit it's in AHDN. (Hard to keep Beatle facts straight sometimes!)

@1:35
http://youtu.be/UavXw9tvd3Y

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 05:44:19 PM »

Thanks, Kelley!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 10:27:58 PM »

This article just popped up in my news feed, and I found quite interesting, especially given that I recently finished Behind the Locked Door. I tried to read Joshua Greene's book (mentioned in the article) awhile back but couldn't stick it out. I found it too drab and boring. Maybe I should give it another try.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/cousin-brucie-rarely-talked-george-harrison-during-beatle-interviews-produce-dead-air.html/

I've never worked as a DJ, but I can well imagine how they dread "dead air." Still, I think it's too bad that George was overlooked at times simply because he was more reserved than the others. 

In My Life

• A Beginning
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 02:37:27 AM »

^^^

They really did miss out. Maybe they should have looked at how the guys at the BBC did it. George seemed to have plenty to say to them!

(I hope the video is showing up ok. I can’t see them on here unless I get my computer out.)

https://youtu.be/4AFW7V_J8Fo

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 12:00:58 AM »

Very honest interview from George.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 55 queries.