Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beatles Disaster Movie ?  (Read 1905 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Beatles Disaster Movie ?
« on: December 29, 2008, 08:07:27 AM »

These three films certainly made an impact , but maybe not for the right reasons .
So which was the real disaster movie ?
And i know "Give My Regards To Broad Street" is'nt technically a Beatles film , but it did utilise Beatles songs and star two of them , and it was a Turkey   (smile)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Beatles Disaster Movie ?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 08:51:45 AM »

I've gone with "Let It Be" and although i don't think it was a total disaster , it certainly did'nt help to heal the internal divisions within the band .
It's still deemed to controversial for a DVD release , which i think is a bit daft , i think most people can handle the content  ?

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 11:52:36 AM »

MMT is the stupidest one, but it was fun to watch, it is the greatest psychedelic movie in my opinion. many people have said MMT is the best to watch when you are on acid. I have never tried and I WILL NEVER DO IT!

Let it Be is the saddest one, but I would consider it as documentary-movie about their last days together rather than as their movie. it was like a woodstock in british screen. you know the rooftop concert etc but not the disaster, I really enjoy it.

Give My Regards To Broad Street - silly and cheap but it is a Paul's and Ringo movie, not The Beatles one. I can't even touch it.

I vote for MMT, but I still like that movie.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 12:08:30 PM »

MMT is a product of it's times. I think with Brian Epstein to organise things it would have been made more quickly, and with less chaos, but that would have taken the charm away from it. It's major mistake, and the one that caused all the bad reviews is that it was first shown in black and white. When it was re-shown a couple of months later in colour it received much more favourable reviews. But of course, most people in the UK didn't have a colour TV back then.

Let It Be is an historical document, and not really a disaster as a movie, because they'd already split by the time of it's release.

Never seen Give My Regards To Broad Street.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 01:24:03 PM »

Broad Street. A vanity project without a script. The same could be said of Magical Mystery Tour, but I think that one's a passable period piece and has some great songs.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 02:17:24 PM »

Quote from: 1161
Broad Street. A vanity project without a script. The same could be said of Magical Mystery Tour, but I think that one's a passable period piece and has some great songs.

Agree Geoff and Magical Mystery Tour as grown over the years into some kind of cult movie ?
Give My Regards to Broad Street , even with the passing of time is still a dud .
Let It Be reminds me of "Big Brother" but with better songs and house mates ,  the public should have been allowed to vote the Beatle out who was getting on their nerves ?  (wink1)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 05:41:23 PM »

Quote from: 971
Give My Regards to Broad Street , even with the passing of time is still a dud .

It's like one of those deeply boring "long form" videos they used to play on MTV in the early days, but some of the musical segments are fine. I don't really "hate" Broad Street, I just don't think it adds up to much of a movie.  :)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 09:28:54 PM »

i would go for Let It Be, it's just uninteresting as a movie, certainly ok as a documentry for that time, but
it is sad to watch things like paul having a go at George. the best thing in the movie is the rooftop scene.
MMT is a underated classic, very python-esque and spike millgan humor.
i personally like Broad Street, i recently watch it again after ages and thought it wasen't as bad as it was.
some intereting scenes in there like the eleanor rigby bit.

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 04:52:42 AM »

Another delightful thread! DaveRam, you brighten my day, even when you talk about duds. :)

I voted for LIB, because it's just so painful to see the group at odds and John a whacked-out space doodle. I dislike MMT but its oddness, as BM points out, is a product of its times. Also, the fellows at least appeared to be having a good time with each other now and then. I do enjoy the "Mother Should Know" sequence quite a bit. The non-dancing Beatles are so a-dork-able in it. :)

LOL! I never saw it, but Paul truly came up with the most amateurish plot every 6th-grade student is warned off of. He really did need someone around to edit his vanity but, alas, John had other plans.

Let It Be reminds me of "Big Brother" but with better songs and house mates ,  the public should have been allowed to vote the Beatle out who was getting on their nerves ?  (wink1)
Oh, this is great! We need a poll. Who should be voted off the island in LIB? Who was the most obnoxious, the least productive, the biggest impediment? Audience, get your buzzers ready!

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 08:14:58 AM »

I have a feeling Paul would have been voted off of Let it Be.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 01:55:40 PM »

i don't think paul really has a go at george in the let it be film!!watch it again,he really isn't having a go.like he says..."i'm just trying to help ya"....
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 10:56:50 AM »

Let It Be s more of a behind the scenes footage but not bad expesally the rooftop

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 64 queries.