Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Beatles Songs You Play For Other People  (Read 3798 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Beatles Songs You Play For Other People
« on: January 29, 2009, 02:49:11 PM »

I'm always trying to slip Beatles songs into the mix when i have friends round .
Most times they say get that Grandad music off , but recently i've got a bit crafty and started to mix The Beatles in with other artist .
Two songs inparticular got a good response from my guests this weekend they were "And I Love Her"  and "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" , so much so my freind Emma as been out and bought The Red Album 1962/1966 and she is loving the whole album (thumbsup)
So which songs go down well with your friends ? and do you have to be a bit devious with Beatles music ? (smile)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Burto1945

• One And One Is Two
Re: Beatles Songs You Play For Other People
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 04:04:23 PM »

One song that seems to get played a lot around 'non-believers' is Rain, usually after a discussion over Ringo not being a good drummer, which is quickly disproven.

I also play the ending medley off Abbey Road, it just distills everything about The Beatles into one 5 minute listening experience for others.  If they like that, then we go into other songs...

BlueMeanie

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 04:10:38 PM »

Luckily, most of my friends like them, so I don't have that problem. How can you be friends with someone that doesn't!!

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 04:17:30 PM »

I got my best friend into liking the Beatles by playing him Magical Mystery Tour and after hearing MMT he was a fan.

Burto1945

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 04:17:55 PM »

I married into them, personally. ;)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 08:37:26 PM »

Quote from: 483
Luckily, most of my friends like them, so I don't have that problem. How can you be friends with someone that doesn't!!

I would be friendless apart from a record collector friend and now Emma , i have to get my fix on here .
It's mostly 70's ,80's, 90's stuff my friends like .

dbone828

• A Beginning
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 08:53:02 PM »

I usually can't sell them with just one song, but I'll make a mix CD.  And the selection of songs depends on the friend, and what type of music I know they like and will appreciate.  But quite often, a mix will include "Hey Jude," "Let It Be," "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End," "Blackbird," "In My Life," "Yesterday," "Here Comes the Sun," a version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (either the White Album version or the LOVE version), "Strawberry Fields Forever" (either the standard version, or Take 1 from Anthology 1), "A Day in the Life," and "Across the Universe."

I usually try to make a mix of both songs they will recognize (most of the ones mentioned minus the Abbey Road medley), and songs that they probably haven't heard but are great ("Dear Prudence," "Two of Us," "Real Love," "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey," "Lovely Rita," "Good Morning Good Morning," "Cry Baby Cry," "Here, There and Everywhere," "For No One").

Even though Abbey Road is my favourite album, I find myself recommending The White Album, as I find that showcases a lot of diversity, as there are some very casual listeners who think that all Beatles songs sound the same (apparently the Beatles stopped recording music after 1964).  But if my friend is a very casual music listener (i.e. will not listen to anything that isn't in the current Top 40), or doesn't listen to much music at all, it can be hard to convince them to go out and buy one of their albums.  So sometimes I feel like I have to force the Beatles into their life.

It also never hurts to throw in a solo song or two ("Jealous Guy" and "Maybe I'm Amazed" will always make the cut when I include solo material)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 01:58:08 AM »

Eh, we're not 12 anymore. Most of the people i've met know what they have to offer. I have played 'I'm Gonna Right Down And Cry' for people in defense of Ringo due to the fact that most people are ignorant and think that drummers are only good if their fast.

One of my friends that i've lost touch with recently told me that he doesnt listen to the Beatles anymore because he's not 19 anymore and he quit smoking dope a long time ago. I felt that was a personal jab towards me so maybe we dont need to get reacquainted just yet.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 08:30:54 AM »

Quote from: 971
I'm always trying to slip Beatles songs into the mix when i have friends round .
So which songs go down well with your friends ? and do you have to be a bit devious with Beatles music ? (smile)

You and I must think alike.  I'm pretty devious too.  When I have to drive my friends around, I like slipping in Beatles music in the background. ;)

I got some of my pals to watch "AHDN" with me as well.  They loved the title song and "And I Love Her" received praise.  If they ever get to dig around my Beatles music, "AHDN" is the primary song they will choose.

Oh, also, I burned my friend a copy of the "Across the Universe" soundtrack and she adored it.  Now if only I could sneak in some more of the real stuff!  I have a feeling my friends would really enjoy the Red Album if they could listen to it.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 09:28:27 AM »

Quote from: 1620

You and I must think alike.  I'm pretty devious too.  When I have to drive my friends around, I like slipping in Beatles music in the background. ;)

I got some of my pals to watch "AHDN" with me as well.  They loved the title song and "And I Love Her" received praise.  If they ever get to dig around my Beatles music, "AHDN" is the primary song they will choose.

Oh, also, I burned my friend a copy of the "Across the Universe" soundtrack and she adored it.  Now if only I could sneak in some more of the real stuff!  I have a feeling my friends would really enjoy the Red Album if they could listen to it.

I had a good teacher my ex was an alcoholic she knew how to hide a bottle or three (teeth1)
Most of my friends like dance/chillout music .
Other than that it's a mixture of The Cure , ABBA , Madonna and R&B they have quite set taste , were i can listen to most things except Rap .
Maybe because i like the latter Beatles music more , i'm making the mistake of ignoring the early stuff , it's funny that when i slipped in the earlier music this weekend that went down better with a least one of them.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 09:35:49 AM »

Quote from: 971
Maybe because i like the latter Beatles music more , i'm making the mistake of ignoring the early stuff , it's funny that when i slipped in the early music this weekend that went down better with a least one of them.

I know what you mean.  I think non-fans who enjoy pop/dance music would be more receptive to the Beatles' earlier work--you know, anything with a lively beat and catchy hooks.  While I am very fond of the Beatles' experimental and psychedelic music, some of it might be too much to swallow for the uninitiated...I actually did not enjoy songs like "I Am the Walrus" upon first listen because I thought it was way too weird, but I love it now.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 09:51:12 AM »

I know what you mean.  I think non-fans who enjoy pop/dance music would be more receptive to the Beatles' earlier work--you know, anything with a lively beat and catchy hooks.  While I am very fond of the Beatles' experimental and psychedelic music, some of it might be too much to swallow for the uninitiated...I actually did not enjoy songs like "I Am the Walrus" upon first listen because I thought it was way too weird, but I love it now.

You could be right the one who's likeing the Red Album is the ABBA fan , she's responding to the more up-tempo beat .
(smile)

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 03:52:10 PM »

For people that like to say that the Beatles are boring or they think they have heard it all, I like to play "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)". I always get a good laugh when I see their face. They then realize, they have not heard it all. I tell them there are a lot of other treasures. I then play something a little more mainstream.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

SemolinaPilchard

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 06:50:53 AM »

When I was younger and would have Beatles songs on my mixed CD's my friends would torment me endlessly. Luckily as we've gotten older, most of them have discovered the Beatles on their own. But for the few hold outs, I play the white album on shuffle on my ipod or the Abbey Road medley. On a side note about Across The Universe. My little sister saw it and absolutely loved it but the distressing part is I've played the REAL versions of the songs for her and she says she likes the movie versions better.  ??)

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 06:15:55 PM »

Most of my friends like the Beatles already (none as much as I do!), but maybe I'm just lucky. I actually have a friend who works at Harmonix on the Beatles Rock Band game-- he is sworn to secrecy about the whole project, but I can tell that he's engrossed in the Beatles at work, because now he wants to talk about them all the time, and he's continually amazed at how great they are. It's been really fun to talk to him.

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 07:21:09 PM »

My friend like the song Help!

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 07:42:29 PM »

Quote from: 1817
I actually have a friend who works at Harmonix on the Beatles Rock Band game-- he is sworn to secrecy about the whole project, but I can tell that he's engrossed in the Beatles at work, because now he wants to talk about them all the time, and he's continually amazed at how great they are. It's been really fun to talk to him.

That's really cool you have a friend on the project!  I would bug him forever for any info on the game, though.   ;D

Was he a Beatles fan even before he got involved in the project?  Either way, I'm so glad he appreciates them.

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 07:09:21 PM »

That's really cool you have a friend on the project!  I would bug him forever for any info on the game, though.   ;D

Was he a Beatles fan even before he got involved in the project?  Either way, I'm so glad he appreciates them.

He was a fan, but in a casual way-- I think anyone who's serious about music needs to acknowledge the huge contribution of the Beatles, even if they don't personally listen to them much, and he was in that camp. Now, though, he's started buying vinyl!

And I DO bug him about Harmonix constantly, but they are so into the secrecy there.... :( Boo.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 02:46:31 AM »

Quote from: 1817
I think anyone who's serious about music needs to acknowledge the huge contribution of the Beatles, even if they don't personally listen to them much

Yes, I agree here.  I know someone who's a 60's music fan but is supposedly not interested in the Beatles (or any British invasion) bands.  Somehow I can't understand listening to 60's music while avoiding the Beatles.

fan numero uno

• A Thousand Pages
  • they love me, they love me a lot. they love me....
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 03:01:00 AM »

^ there was music other than the Beatles from the 60's?!?! i thought all other music stopped because they couldnt compare with the Beatles.

for my friends, i would start them on the early stuff. unless they liked a certain type of music that the Beatles covered, which was just about everything, then that style for sure.

i agree to playing in the background, and not telling them its the Beatles, unless they're already casual fans or whatever. i have one friend that wont give them a chance just because they are the Beatles, and he thinks they're drugged up hippies or something, but im sure their is at least ONE Beatles song he would like.
Love the Beatles, and all shall be right.                avatar created by freakchic
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.793 seconds with 84 queries.