Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Who Broke Up The Beatles?  (Read 14055 times)

beatlesnumber9

• One And One Is Two
Re: Who Broke Up The Beatles?
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2005, 02:48:35 PM »

Mike Love as co-written also.

Lennon agrees with these posts, as he said, "There just wasn't enough room on one album for 4 huge egos."

Makes sense to me. Look at Waters and Gilmour, and so many other bands that broke up over false pride. Human nature at it's worse.

It's just sometimes a shame that The Beatles, of all people, couldn't rise above such pettiness. They were the embodiment of love and peace, and they couldn't even maintain their friendship. That was my thinking at the time they broke up.

I also have a problem with John's pain at his father for not being there, then doing the samething to Julian.

Human beings. As much as I love them, and at times worship them, they were human beings. The difference is John wrote about it, his songs were more autobiographical. Paul stayed stuck in pop and bubble gum. And I'm off topic, so I'm shutting up.

This is one of the better boards I've been to. GH.com is a great place. And of course my favorite is my own forum. But you guys are really cool.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2005, 11:13:52 PM »

we love you too big number nine......i enjoy your site as well.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2005, 11:44:11 PM »

The difference is John wrote about it, his songs were more autobiographical. Paul stayed stuck in pop and bubble gum. And I'm off topic, so I'm shutting up.

I'm going to pretend I didn't see that "pop and bubble gum" remark and just correct you by saying that Paul's songs were also autobiographical. They were about the love of his life, Linda.
But like you said, this is off topic. So let that be an end to it.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2005, 03:47:47 AM »

I think George had most to gain from the breakup because they were routinely passing over great songs (like "All Things Must Pass") for dreck like Maxwell's Silver Hammer or I Dig a Pony.  

John and Paul had most to lose, because even though they weren't writing together at the end of the Beatles they still operated as a check/competitor.  Neither John nor Paul's 70s stuff has the spark that the Beatles stuff did--maybe it's just a question of knowing that the other guy would be in the recording studio, who knows.  

Ringo, oddly enough, sold a helluva lot of records after the split.  

Mr. Kite

• A Beginning
  • What would the The Beatles be without Ringo?
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2005, 04:53:41 AM »

The sad fact is that the breakup was mutual and The Beatles just grew apart both musically and as friends.  No one was to blame but unfortunatly it was just the way things had to be.  Sometimes we should be thankful that they broke up becuse if they stayed together now they probablly would have just been has beens like "The Who" or "The Rolling Stones".

Mr. Kite
[size=14][size=14]-Mr. Kite![/size][size=14]<br />'ving been some days in preparation a splendid time is guaranteed for all![/size][/size]<br />

beatlesnumber9

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2005, 12:30:45 PM »

Quote from: Mairi

I'm going to pretend I didn't see that "pop and bubble gum" remark and just correct you by saying that Paul's songs were also autobiographical. They were about the love of his life, Linda.
But like you said, this is off topic. So let that be an end to it.

Paul's songs weren't ALL pop, he's got some fabulous rockers, but he wasn't as autibiographical as Lennon, even in interviews he wasn't as open as John. There's nothing wrong with that. But don't deny it! Paul's sense of what sold helped make the Beatles the best.

Not one of the four on his own could be as big as the whole. Somewhere along the line they seemed to have forgotten that they were each 1/4 of the Beatles. No more, no less.

George has been quoted as saying his biggest break came with being in The Beatles, his second biggest break was getting out. His songs always took a back seat to Lennon/McCartney.

I don't think there's anyone to blame exactly, but the deed was done by Paul. That's just a fact. Be it good or bad or indifferent. Assigning blame is opnion. Paul going to court to break up The Beatles is fact. You can't disagree with a fact.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2005, 04:25:02 PM »

He made the break-up legal, but I don't think it was his fault that the band broke up, nor did he attempt to break up he band. He was the one wh tried to hold them together when they were falling apart. In fact, I think if Paul had his way he would have kept the Beatles together long after their prime.

beatlesnumber9

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2005, 06:21:16 PM »

I wouldn't go so far as to paint a halo over Paul's head. He's as much to blame as anyone else.

His argument with George on Let It Be was just a sneak peek into Paul's ego and how he wanted things his way. Ringo's the one who tried to patch things up and play mediator. And Paul snubbed Ringo by calling him a lousy drummer and as a result Ringo quit. That's why Paul plays drums on Back In The USSR. (He later made up by filling Abbey Rd studio with tons of flowers for Ringo).

John had no business bringing Yoko into the recording studios. What an arrogant thing to do. It was always just the 4. He even let her sing on a few songs. This just provoked the others. (I resented John for shoving Yoko down our throats. We had to buy her "music" to own his. She took up half his albums with her shrieking 'Avant Garde' muzak.

Lennon/McCartney were HUGE egos, and what brought them down was false pride.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2005, 08:12:25 PM »

Oh, I wasn't trying to make Paul look like an angel. I was just pointing out that he wanted them together even though it wasn't the best for them.

You're definitely right in that it was an ego problem. Both of them were basically thinking, "Look how great I am, I don't need you! I have Yoko/Linda now!"

beatlesnumber9

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2005, 08:31:47 PM »

But we can celebrate what was. It was the greatest show on earth!

I want to conventrate on the positive for a while. I'm going to hop around on your forum a bit. Feel free to point me in the right direction ;)

beatlesnumber9

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2005, 08:35:47 PM »

I changed my avatar. The other pretty much let it out of the bag that I'm crazy :)

apple sauce

• Getting Better
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2005, 01:54:19 AM »

Competiveness between John and Paul. Georges frustration about being used more as a session player than contributor. The "Yoko" wedge that "John" cleverly used to frustrate all the other lads while recording Let It Be. Bordom of being a "Beatle" and wanting to do other things in their lives due to their immense wealth. It all points towards a split and not ammicable! Even when the big signing to dissolve the Beatles was to take place "John" didn't show up which made George and Paul crazy!!!!!!!!!!

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • &quot;The dude abides.&quot;
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2005, 09:59:39 PM »

Quote from: beatlesnumber9
It's just sometimes a shame that The Beatles, of all people, couldn't rise above such pettiness. They were the embodiment of love and peace, and they couldn't even maintain their friendship. That was my thinking at the time they broke up.

I also have a problem with John's pain at his father for not being there, then doing the samething to Julian.

Very well said number 9.  I think that's why the Beatles split meant as much as it did--because these were the peace and love guys at each others throats.  Meanwhile Mick Jagger's Satanic crew sail along placidly, sticking by each other for the next thirty years (albeit with a few spats in there).  

Where's the logic?

And poor Freddie Lennon.  Has anybody heard his album?

beatlesnumber9

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2005, 11:54:45 AM »

I never heard his album. I don't think that was a wise career move for him. But since John had lost his mom and uncle and so many dear friends, you'd think he'd have found a place in his heart for what little was left. He almost went with his dad as a child and changed his mind at the last minute. It's not like he was abused by him.

It's hard to realize your hero was only human, eh? I think that's what John was trying to tell us all along. But you gotta admire the fact he didn't try to hide his real self.

I'd still like to believe they'd have made up and recorded again.

slimjim

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2005, 12:49:08 AM »

Quote from: beatlesnumber9
I feel that things changed the most at the time Paul wrote Yesterday and John made the statement (out of context) that The Beatles were bigger than Jesus. It might not have been apparent to the world, but the other three were not happy with John. On top of that he was getting death threats and the KKK demonstrated a concert in Alabama.

To be frank, this is a particularly American perspective, and they weren't an American band. The issues you raise here are probably far more important to US fans than they were to the Beatles themselves, and certainly weren't anything to do with the split. I hadn't even heard of the KKK thing.

It was John who broke up the Beatles really, long after Paul wrote Yesterday. He'd moved on.

A forum for European Beatles Fans

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2005, 01:24:07 AM »

john said he was done b4 they filmed help.........

beatlesnumber9

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2005, 10:57:01 AM »

Quote from: slimjim

To be frank, this is a particularly American perspective, and they weren't an American band. The issues you raise here are probably far more important to US fans than they were to the Beatles themselves, and certainly weren't anything to do with the split. I hadn't even heard of the KKK thing.

It was John who broke up the Beatles really, long after Paul wrote Yesterday. He'd moved on.

I can agree with this statement.

You really don't remember the bible thumpers in the US burning Beatle albums and the KKK protesting a concert? It's in a lot of films, Anthology included.
John was through with touring, and probably through with the Beatles as well.

I'm only saying the physical deed of breaking up the Beatles was done by Paul. That is an unemotional historical fact, without assigning blame really.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • &quot;The dude abides.&quot;
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2005, 09:48:04 PM »

I finally figured it out!  

Osama Bin Laden did it.  

He was in London in the late 60s and was probably gearing up for his later holy war.

He's probably also the one who killed the real Paul McCartney.

Word has it that he has been siphoning money to all these current crybaby wannabee beatles bands (oasis, coldplay, et al) to weaken our collective will to resist.  

Insidious terrorists!

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2005, 02:36:37 PM »

If you want to find out what full story on the break up click this link.  It has everything about it.  http://beatles.murashev.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b=cc,v=display,m=1112105202,s=45.  It makes me sad that Paul had to sue the other three.  It really sucks it ended the way it did.

beatlesnumber9

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2005, 03:32:59 PM »

Quote from: Wordno
If you want to find out what full story on the break up click this link.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 82 queries.