Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Microscope: Forever Changes (Love)  (Read 34963 times)

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
Re: Microscope: Forever Changes (Love)
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 08:30:47 PM »

Here's another from LOVE! Enjoy!

Love - You Set The Scene

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 08:04:35 PM »

Not as in depth as yours, but this is your show. Great freaking record regardless. De Capo is awesome too and would rank higher in my list of Revelations wasnt there.

You should make a Microscope of S.F. Sorrow. It would be interesting to listen to that record after reading your points of view. I promise that I would support your thread.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 02:37:39 AM »

You should make a Microscope of S.F. Sorrow. It would be interesting to listen to that record after reading your points of view. I promise that I would support your thread.

Consider it done. I was going to get around to that soon. Probably tomorrow.

Bobber

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011, 09:08:13 AM »

Remarkable that this thread gets as much replies as the microscope on Band On The Run. Makes me wonder what I'm doing around here.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2011, 08:03:45 PM »

Remarkable that this thread gets as much replies as the microscope on Band On The Run. Makes me wonder what I'm doing around here.

Hi Bobber! How are you? Where did the forum go the last few days? I wrote you an email on the Beatle Forum hoping that you could tell me what happened. I'm just glad that the forum is back up and running.

In my opinion Bobber, I think that this thread gets more responses because this album (Forever Changes) is not as well known as the Band On The Run album. It might have been more popular years back but it has been a little forgotten as years went on. I am very thankful that Hombre_de_ningun_lugar refreshed my memory by writing a thread about the Forever Changes album, I haven't heard this album in a long time. Take care Bobber.   

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 10:05:06 PM »

Yeah, i'm a little shocked at the reponse too. Only two pages for 'BOTR'. I thought that album would perk some people up. Doesnt look good for the future recordings, but you damn well that i'm interested.

nimrod

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 10:44:10 PM »

Im a little surprised by that too, Ive declared my dislike for Wings and Pauls solo output but I though Cors thread would have tons of replies...

I was a little disappointed with my songs/microscope thread as well, you spend an hour or two creating a thread and like 5 people reply  ha2ha

Im glad that Todds album threads did well though, and still alive !!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 11:28:04 PM »

Love is a band that creatively peaked around the same time as The Beatles, and these were two bands that were simultaneously (although in Love's case on a smaller scale) pushing the limits of pop music. I personally think that if you're discussing The Beatles, their musical time context (which Love is also a small part of) is at least as interesting and relevant as their later solo albums.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2011, 12:57:04 AM »

Love is a band that creatively peaked around the same time as The Beatles, and these were two bands that were simultaneously (although in Love's case on a smaller scale) pushing the limits of pop music. I personally think that if you're discussing The Beatles, their musical time context (which Love is also a small part of) is at least as interesting and relevant as their later solo albums.

I feel the same way. I find much more attractive the music released by artists that were contemporaneous to the Beatles than the post-Beatles solo recordings. I've said this before, I think that a true fan of the Beatles music rather than the names should be more interested in the 1960's music than the solo careers. Nevertheless, I see Bobber's point as this is still a Beatles forum, and I also would have expected more participation in that Paul's thread.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:59:18 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

nimrod

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2011, 01:36:22 AM »

after watching the Scorcese doco Im beginning to thing George wrote the best post Beatles songs

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2011, 02:57:42 AM »

after watching the Scorcese doco Im beginning to thing George wrote the best post Beatles songs
excellent observation nimrod. more or less my worldview as it applies to post-beatles music and output, that is if you can just magically strip away Lennons and McCartneys blockbuster solo albums.
 ;yes
day tripper yeah

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2011, 03:15:21 AM »

Hi mate! How are you? After listening more to George's songs, I'm starting to feel the same way. Since George looked up to John so much, in my opinion, George really tried to write songs like John. Then again, its only fitting and natural that George would grow and blossom into a great songwriter, he learned from the best, Lennon/McCartney! Take care.

nimrod

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2011, 03:38:36 AM »

this is a magical song..

well done lovely George.

Eric Clapton - Beware Of Darkness (Concert For George)(HQ)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2011, 04:14:48 AM »

George's All Things Must Pass album is equal or better than the best solo works by John and Paul. However his other records never were close to that level. John is my favourite solo Beatle, I think he gave the best material from 1970 to 1975, which is the most substantial period for all ex-Beatles solo careers. Anyway, John only released two truly great albums (Plastic Ono Band and Imagine) plus some good albums with a couple of classic songs and several fillers.

nimrod

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2011, 09:01:27 AM »

George's All Things Must Pass album is equal or better than the best solo works by John and Paul. However his other records never were close to that level. John is my favourite solo Beatle, I think he gave the best material from 1970 to 1975, which is the most substantial period for all ex-Beatles solo careers. Anyway, John only released two truly great albums (Plastic Ono Band and Imagine) plus some good albums with a couple of classic songs and several fillers.

We are in agreement here Hombre  :)

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2011, 02:47:31 PM »

Hi Hombre_de_ningun_lugar! I agree with both you and nimrod, the ALL THINGS MUST PASS album is equal or better than the best solo works by John and Paul. The ALL THINGS MUST PASS album is a rare album seeing that it contains different styles of music including Folk Rock and Hard Rock. I also agree that George's later albums were never on the same level musically as the ALL THINGS MUST PASS album.

Here's a song from LOVE, enjoy!

Love - 03 - Andmoreagain

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2011, 05:03:41 PM »

this is a magical song..

well done lovely George.

Eric Clapton - Beware Of Darkness (Concert For George)(HQ)
that brought a tear to my eyes. thank you nimrod, ain't nobody can play like eric clapton.
day tripper yeah

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2011, 09:42:50 PM »

I've said this before, I think that a true fan of the Beatles music rather than the names should be more interested in the 1960's music than the solo careers.

Why? I dont agree with that at all. I think your just trying to defend your personal point of view of their solo efforts. I dont think Beatle fans have a duty to listen to the solo efforts, but if the names are enough to open the ears of some listeners, maybe they'll come away liking what they heard. If not, no big deal. I find a lot of the solo efforts to be more interesting than actual Beatle albums.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2011, 09:59:44 PM »

George's All Things Must Pass album is equal or better than the best solo works by John and Paul.

I think it was superior to anything John and Paul put out, but thats only my opinion.

John is my favourite solo Beatle, I think he gave the best material from 1970 to 1975,

I think he has the worst. When I listen to Johns solo stuff, I come away feeling depressed, angry, and just not liking him because he comes across as self absorbed. Everythings about him. His mother died when he was young, so what. At what point do you move on? George's stuff at least lent itself to being sincere and not the pity party John would have us all feel for him. Pauls stuff was just musically superior. It was fuller and more involved.

I truly thinks Johns solo stuff is what caused me to stop and look at the man more so than the music. I came away not caring for who I met.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2011, 10:30:10 PM »

Why? I dont agree with that at all. I think your just trying to defend your personal point of view of their solo efforts. I dont think Beatle fans have a duty to listen to the solo efforts, but if the names are enough to open the ears of some listeners, maybe they'll come away liking what they heard. If not, no big deal. I find a lot of the solo efforts to be more interesting than actual Beatle albums.

You may be right about me trying to defend my point of view, but well, that's what all we do. But beyond my subjective opinion about their solo careers, I think that just for historical relevance and impact in rock music it's much more important to look for other 1960's artists rather than the solo records. Beatles fans usually do the opposite (I know that's not your case). Some may say that a "true" Beatles fan should even get Electronic Sound. I think that someone who really appreciates the Beatles music will find much more looking at the context of their time rather than trying to get every solo Beatles record just to say "my collection is complete". The Beatles were the most important part of something bigger, and you can't understand the Beatles music if you don't understand the 1960's phenomenon.

About you liking more some solo records than actual Beatles albums, was it always that way? Or are you just tired after listening to the Beatles so many times? Did the solo albums have a bigger impact in your life than the actual Beatles records?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 10:34:24 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Page created in 2.319 seconds with 83 queries.