Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Best hits album: '1' or 'Red+Blue'?  (Read 9396 times)

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
Best hits album: '1' or 'Red+Blue'?
« on: July 13, 2007, 03:49:44 PM »

Well, the question is really simple... Which Beatles' greatest hits compilation makes his job better? The 4xLP/CD set that consists in the two albums Red & Blue, both from April 1973, or the 1xCD (2xLP) '1', released in 2000.
Please vote considering the selection of material and not the number of songs (because of course Red+Blue contains more material!!).

I vote for '1', to me is the best compilation ever made.
With the Red & Blue albums there are many tracks missed, maybe not in the second, but the Red only contains 26 songs (in a double LP compilation album 63 minutes is not much generous  ::) ), and where is Twist And Shout, Do You Want To Know A Secret? (both #2 hits in the U.S.) ...or classic album tracks such as I Should Have Known Better, Here, There And Everywhere or Tomorrow Never Knows? They are all missed!

So my vote is for '1'. Now is your turn to vote!  ;)
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Flaming Pie in the Sky

• A Thousand Pages
    • Gone Troppo
Re: Best hits album: '1' or 'Red+Blue'?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 03:54:46 PM »

Red/Blue... I think the songs on the LP/CDs are the ones that deserve to be there, singles, #1 hits, and I think it shows the most popular songs from each year, and how they progressed from poppy "Twist And Shout" and "She Loves You" to the deep melodies of Abbey Road.  :)

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 03:56:50 PM »

I like the Blue album best :)

DaveRam :)

maninthequeue

• A Beginning
  • the love you take is equal to the love you make
    • Buzzjack.com
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 08:17:16 PM »

It "does what it says on the tin", whilst the Red & Blue albums are subjective Best Of's.

For example I think the Revolver LP is very under represented & the Rubber Soul LP is over-represented when likes of "Girl", "Drive My Car", "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da", "Octopus' Garden" & "Old Brown Shoe" are lucky to have made the grade at the expense of the likes of "I Saw Her Standing There", "Rain", "Tomorrow Never Knows", "Helter Skelter" & "Hey Bulldog".

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 08:26:27 PM »

Quote from: 739

It "does what it says on the tin", whilst the Red & Blue albums are subjective Best Of's.

For example I think the Revolver LP is very under represented & the Rubber Soul LP is over-represented when likes of "Girl", "Drive My Car", "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da", "Octopus' Garden" & "Old Brown Shoe" are lucky to have made the grade at the expense of the likes of "I Saw Her Standing There", "Rain", "Tomorrow Never Knows", "Helter Skelter" & "Hey Bulldog".

that is true, but i think it gives a better presentation of what the beatles did.
girl, in my life, michelle, nowhere man, norwegian wood, drive my car: there are too many rubber soul songs for a fact.
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 09:37:53 PM »

I voted the Red/Blue compilations as they were & still are the best compilations of
Beatles music i think. It was album the first comps i purchased when i discovered them :)
1 is a good collection as well but i never bought it as i already had the songs.

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 11:44:26 PM »

'1' bores the p*ss out of me. Give me the Red & Blue albums anyday.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 07:08:25 AM »

Red & Blue...mY definitive advance in Beatles after getting into my parents vinyl copy of A hard Days Night,
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 06:36:35 PM »

I grew up with the red album as it was the first Beatles album one of my sisters bought. I couldn't stop listening to it.

Dark Phoenyx

• Getting Better
  • Paul Mc Cartney is the true bass god!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 12:06:33 AM »

The red & blue albums were the first ones I bought, and I just loved both of them.... I like #1s too and the songs included there would make a perfect playlist for my iPod.   ;D
<br /><br />The warlus was Paul...   8)

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 02:52:26 AM »

Quote from: 739

Great too see someone who thinks just like me.
And... is really necessary to buy 4 CDs to listen 54 songs when you have the most decisive 27 in only 1 CD? I don't think so...
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 11:36:56 AM »

Ooh, I'm very indecisive, but I went for Red and Blue. It's got a good collection of songs. I'm probably being slightly disloyal, because I actually have "1" (that was the first Beatles CD I bought, albeit as a present for Mum. Little did I know I'll be borrowing it a lot in the future...  ;) ); and I don't actually have the Red and Blue CDs (although I do have the songs that are on them). I like the songs on 1, but I like the ones on Red and Blue more.
I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 11:33:26 PM »

Quote from: 610
I like the songs on 1, but I like the ones on Red and Blue more.

Great minds think alike.  ;) And besides most of the songs on "1" are on the blue and red cd (I think).

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Dark Phoenyx

• Getting Better
  • Paul Mc Cartney is the true bass god!
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 11:44:03 PM »

Quote from: 596

Great minds think alike.  ;) And besides most of the songs on "1" are on the blue and red cd (I think).

That's why I said the songs in the #1s album would make an excelent play list for my iPod.
<br /><br />The warlus was Paul...   8)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 05:57:06 PM »

I voted 1, purely for the superior sound quality. And if you have all the albums and Past Masters, you don't need the Red and Blue albums.

Wayne L.

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 07:22:56 PM »

I picked the red & blue compilation Beatles albums because they are the definitive ones from the 70's & much better than 1 any day.  

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 11:18:29 AM »

I think the Red & Blue Albums have a better selection, but I would have to say No1 purely from my own experiences.

No1 was what got me into the Beatles.
My Cousin/Aunty was playing it in the car - her favourites were Let It Be & Get Back ...and the music was just so fresh and alive ... it blew me away. I had heard these songs as a child but never really taken notice.
After that initial listen ..I totally absorbed No1 ... listening to it over and over and over :) I had no idea who the Beatles were as people ... no images (bar the CD booklet) and no idea of their albums & films etc
Those couple of months of just listening to No1 was some of the best moments I've had listening to music.
Obviously when I started to listen to the albums ..the music got better .. but I can imagine alot of people like myself were awakened to the Beatles through No1.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 01:40:22 PM »

Ah, that's such a neat story, Indica! Perhaps that's why I love the Anthology so much; that was my introduction to the Beatles. I don't even remember buying the red album, which I own, but I know it was part of my post-Anthology "must get some Beatles in the house" phase. Now my shelf bulges with Beatles books and albums. The boys are addictive! Cheers.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 03:03:06 PM »

I was introduced to the Beatles music through 1 too. To discover, buy and listen that album was a magical experience. It's like your little treasure, just 1 CD with some of the best music ever written and recorded. That's because I love it so much, because it's like a tiny piece with huge talent, work and creativity into it. And the booklet is soooooo good, I love all those colours, single covers ('Les Beatles', 'Los Beatles', hehe). The design is simply fantastic, using exclusively the Helvetica font (my favourite ever), even the George Martin introduction is beautiful.

Sea of Time

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 05:39:03 AM »

I like '62 - '66 and '67 - '70 best, I like the mixing of single and album tracks. I think though that the design of the inner gatefolds could have been better, I would have liked to have seen collages and essays.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 95 queries.