Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Golden Slumbers  (Read 10258 times)

real01

• Getting Better
Golden Slumbers
« on: March 29, 2009, 09:26:12 PM »

The words originally come from a lullaby in "The Pleasant Comodie of Patient Grissill" written about 1603. by Thomas Dekker.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Slumbers

The Song.
Golden f lumbers kiffe your eyes^
Smiles awake you when you rife :
1755 Sleepe pretty wantons [,] doe not cry,
And I will fing a lullabie.
Kocke them[,| rocke them[,| lullabie.

Care is heauy[,] therefore fleepe you,
You are care and care muft keep you:
1760 Sleepe pretty wantonsj.] doe not cry,
And I will ring a lullabie,
Rocke them[,] rocke them[,| lullabie.

http://www.archive.org/stream/pleasantcomodieo00hbrich/pleasantcomodieo00hbrich_djvu.txt

And... can someone explain to me what are "golden slumbers", that is,
what does that expression mean? English is not my 1st language, so...
Thanx in advance!

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Golden Slumbers
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 10:16:54 PM »

Hi - I think Golden Slumbers means have sweet dreams.
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 10:42:21 PM »

Hmm,,,,was it common knowledge that Paul stole that? If so, I didnt know or had forgotten.

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 08:23:25 PM »

Quote from: 568
Hi - I think Golden Slumbers means have sweet dreams.

Thanx for the explanation.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 08:42:14 PM »

Quote from: 373
Hmm,,,,was it common knowledge that Paul stole that? If so, I didnt know or had forgotten.

I've read that before. I don't know if it is generally considered stealing if it's in the public domain (like if someone wrote a song with the words "Ring around the rosey, pocket full of posey ...").

Sometimes the credit goes like: "Music - Joe Blow; Words - traditional". Did Paul do that, or did the Beatles carry on with their somewhat despicable practice of never giving anyone else credit on their albums?

(When I was a kid, I thought that since it didn't say otherwise, that the Beatles must have played all those horns and other instruments. Heck, didn't they have a picture of themselves "playing" horns in one of their albums (MMT?)?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 08:53:39 PM »

Quote from: 373

Well, I wouldn't say stolen! Better to say is - he borrowed it...
For example, lyrics for Happiness Is A Warm Gun came from an add in the newspapers.

According to Lennon, the title came from the cover of a gun magazine that producer George Martin showed him: "I think he showed me a cover of a magazine that said 'Happiness Is a Warm Gun.' It was a gun magazine. I just thought it was a fantastic, insane thing to say. A warm gun means you just shot something."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happiness_Is_a_Warm_Gun

Words: You know my name - look up the number were also an add for telephone book.

"That was a piece of unfinished music that I turned into a comedy record with Paul. I was waiting for him in his house, and I saw the phone book was on the piano with 'You know the name, look up the number.' That was like a logo, and I just changed it."
Paul: "It's so insane. All the memories ... I mean, what would you do if a guy like John Lennon turned up at the studio and said, 'I've got a new song'. I said, 'What's the words?' and he replied 'You know my name look up the number'. I asked, 'What's the rest of it?' 'No, no other words, those are the words. And I want to do it like a mantra!"

Lyrics for Mr. Kite came form an old poster...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_for_the_Benefit_of_Mr._Kite!

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 03:15:45 PM »

i believe paul knew the old traditional poem/song-but he put his own music to it.i think he did it whilst visiting his father in liverpool.obviously he added a few bits of his own-"once there was a way.."
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 02:25:12 PM »

Was watching an old episodes of The Simpsons last night, and during one part of a 1991 episode, part of the melody of "Golden Slumbers" is played. (Wonder how they got around the copyright?) My daughters just walked in the door as it was playing, and they immediately started singing the lyrics.  :)

I wasn't able to post a clip, because there's a fee, but here's an excerpt from IMDB that mentions it:

Homer's dream sequence was accompanied by a version of the Beatles' "Golden Slumbers" when originally aired. A different song is featured in the syndicated version, although the original soundtrack plays on the Season 3 DVD set.

It's always nice to come across any Beatles reference!

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 10:59:27 PM »

As Paul himself told journalist David Wigg:

"I was just playing the piano in Liverpool, my dad's house, and my sister Ruth's piano book - she was learning piano, and you know those sort of 'D'Ye Ken John Peel' and 'Golden Slumbers' and your old favourites was up on the...thing, y'know, the stand y'know, there was a little book with all those words in it and stuff... so I was just flicking through it, and I came to 'Golden Slumbers' you know, so I just started - coz I can't read music so I didn't know the tune, I can't remember the old tune y'know - so I started just playing my tune to it, and then I liked the words so I just kept that, y'know, then it fitted with another bit of song I had, which was the verse in between it, so I  just made that into a song... just happened coz I was reading her book".

So Paul lifted the lyrics but the tune is his - and now I'm intrigued to find out what the original tune was!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 01:33:47 AM »

So Paul lifted the lyrics but the tune is his - and now I'm intrigued to find out what the original tune was!

It's a 17th Century English folk song/madrigal...

8.Madrigals Recital 2012-Golden Slumbers.MPG

I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 01:48:17 AM »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 07:50:34 PM »

It's a 17th Century English folk song/madrigal...

8.Madrigals Recital 2012-Golden Slumbers.MPG

Interesting! Never knew that. I learn so much from this forum.

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 09:39:02 AM »

Thank you for posting this. Comparing her singing with Paul's version, I've came to conclusion that two songs have pretty similar rhythm.
That isn't even much surprising 'cause lyrics are similar, and in some verses, almost identical (and the words make the rhythm).
Of course, Paul's song is rock song, therefore, speeded-up, sung first in soft than hard voice, while the madrigal is soft and gentle.
There are some three centuries distance from the two songs, but they are both beautiful and the original madrigal is just charming.

Page created in 0.509 seconds with 74 queries.