Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 62-66 67-70 recreate vinyl  (Read 2986 times)

62-66 67-70 recreate vinyl
« on: April 04, 2006, 11:54:54 PM »

I would like to recreate, on CD, the 62-66 and 67-70 albums.  I have the actual vynal and love the mixes, arrangments, etc. of the versions as they are presented on the American releases of these albums.  Initially I believed the undertaking would be a simple one... take the appropriate tracks from the digital/CD sources, put them in the right order and boom, the Red and Blue album on CD.  NOT SO!

After doing a small amount of research via my copy of "The Beatles: For The Record" I discover that some versions of songs are in fact nowhere (or seemingly) nowhere to be found on CD.  Ie., the Stereo mix of "From Me To You" on the 62-66 minus the harmonica at the beginning... the mock James Bond piece at the opening of the HELP! album, etc.

After doing a little more research online, I am lead to believe that the CD versions of the RED and BLUE albums are in fact different from the Vynal releases so they are not a replacement of the versions I have come to know.

I am writing this in the hope that someone can definitively breakout the American Vynal releases of 62-66 and 67-70 with an explanation of the mix for each song, mono vs. stereo, album vs. track, etc.  so that I may digitally recreate, if possible, the Vynal versions of these albums.  A comparison song for song of the CD versions vs. the American Vynal versions would be perfect.  I know this is asking alot of work of someone but I'm hoping I'm not the only Beatle Fan out there who hasn't already tackled this beast.

The Vynal versions that I have are in excellent shape and I may resort to buying a solid turntable pre-amp and capturing them directly but I would really love to recreate the albums from digital sources.

CAN ANYONE HELP!  I NEED SOMEBODY!  <<<  sorry about the bad pun.. I just couldn't resist!  Thanks in advance.  

:)

raxo

• Sun King
Re: 62-66 67-70 recreate vinyl
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 11:25:31 AM »

Welcome to the forums, AMartin777. Hope you're going to en-you them ...  :)

... asking too much, yep ...  I can't help you, sorry  :-/ ... maybe someone else here ... I hope ...

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 12:08:23 PM »

Hiya A Martin!

Welcome to the forum!

The US stereo version of From Me To you is available on the first Capitol box-set. The only release of the Help! James Bond intro is on vinyl only at present - but not for long! The 2nd Capitol box comes out later this month (if they sort out the mono-mix mess in time!) and includes the stereo Bond version of Help!.

On the whole, most of the Blue CD album used the same mixes as the vinyl version - at the moment I can't recall any differences. A few tracks from the Red album were mixed in stereo specially for the CD release though, these were:

All My Loving
Can't Buy Me Love
Hard Day's Night
And I Love Her
Eight Days A Week

These tracks are different to the original stereo vinyl mixes.

Unfortunately, there are MANY different mixes of Beatles songs and the only way you will ever get digital copies of the US versions you are used to is by buying the Capitol box-sets and a few bootlegs! Capitol has taken a lot of critisism for not remixing some of the 'fake' stereo tracks - but the idea was to present the albums as they were ORIGINALLY heard and so far, to their credit,  they have stuck to this.

If there are any tracks you are specifically after, just ask on here - there are plenty of people here who would probably be able to help you out :)

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 12:24:36 PM »

Quote from: The_End
If there are any tracks you are specifically after, just ask on here - there are plenty of people here who would probably be able to help you out :)

Sure!  :)

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 05:47:49 PM »

Just thought of a difference on the Blue album CD - the version of A Day In A Life is the one originally used on Imagine the Motion Picture - i.e. it doesn't fade in with the cheers and clapping from Sgt Pepper Reprise like it does on the vinyl version - it starts cleanly with John's acoustic guitar.

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 06:07:45 PM »

Thanks to everyone for their help and input on this.  One thing THE END, doesn't the stereo mix of "From Me To You" on the capitol vol. 1 collection contain the harmonica over the vocal at the beginning of the song?  On the Vynal, the "Da Da Da Dada Dum Dum Da" is just the vocal minus the harmonica at the beginning.

Sounds like the new Stereo mixes on the RED CD would be a nice new thing to have since the vynal is Mono on these.  I may just break down and pick up the CD RED & BLUE sets.

BTW - I don't know that I have ever heard the "guitar only" intro version of ADITL so that would be interesting as well.

Again, thanks to everyone for their input!  I'm enjoying the site alot... keep up the good work!  :)

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 08:38:56 PM »

The following tracks ARE in stereo on the UK version of the Red album (not sure about the US version) but are different mixes to the Red CD:

All My Loving
Can't Buy Me Love
Hard Day's Night
And I Love Her
Eight Days A Week

I'm no expert on their US releases, but as far as I'm aware, From Me To You did not appear on a Capitol album (other members of the forum might have other ideas on that though!). However, the stereo version is available on A Collection Of Beatles Oldies (1966) and the original vinyl UK Red album. The stereo version does not have the harmonica in the intro but does have the "da da da dada dum dum da".

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 12:07:25 AM »

Do a little research-find out which version was used for each song, buy it, and burn it. Problem solved. You can find each version of each song on an obscure import, a domestic release, whatever. This seems like a thinly veiled way to have someone put together a collection, which they have probably spent a small fortune on, for someone who needs to have a pure copy of the Red/Blue albums? Gimme a break.

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 47 queries.