Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 42

Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 152047 times)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Re: The Beach Boys
« Reply #620 on: December 25, 2011, 01:24:56 PM »

'It's OK', 'That Same Song' and 'Had To Phone Ya' are great songs, but I don't care much for the rest of the album. Especially 'Everyone's In Love With You' and 'TM Song', those are among the worst songs The Beach Boys ever released.

Love and Al wanted an album full of classic songs covers, while the Wilson brothers wanted original material. That's the story of "15 Big Ones", isn't it?
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #621 on: December 25, 2011, 05:43:35 PM »

'It's OK', 'That Same Song' and 'Had To Phone Ya' are great songs, but I don't care much for the rest of the album. Especially 'Everyone's In Love With You' and 'TM Song', those are among the worst songs The Beach Boys ever released.

Hi Joost! I just listened to the three songs that you mentioned. While they are well written songs, the music style just doesn't appeal to me. Take care. 

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #622 on: December 25, 2011, 07:48:56 PM »

Love and Al wanted an album full of classic songs covers, while the Wilson brothers wanted original material. That's the story of "15 Big Ones", isn't it?

No, not exactly. The original plan was to make it a cover album so that Brian could take it easy while getting used to working in the studio again. Because things were initially going well, a new plan was made to record a double album with one disc of covers and one disc of originals. Brian got bored with the project before they had enough material for both albums, so they just released a selection of what they had.

The other covers that were recorded for '15 Big Ones' are Secret Love, Workin' In A Coal Mine, On Broadway, Mony Mony, Running Bear, Shake Rattle & Roll, Michael Row The Boat Ashore, Let's Dance (all still unreleased), Sea Cruise (appeared on the Ten Years Of Harmony compilation), Peggy Sue, Come Go With Me (both released on MIU Album in 1978) and Don't Fight The Sea (a new version featuring Carl's original vocal appeared on Al's solo album last year).

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #623 on: December 25, 2011, 11:14:19 PM »

Here's one more Christmas song from THE BEACH BOYS!

Beach Boys - Little Saint Nick (Shindig)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #624 on: December 28, 2011, 08:23:26 PM »

What about these two albums? Are they the last good or at least decent Beach Boys ones?

« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 08:25:36 PM by The 5th Beatle »

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #625 on: December 28, 2011, 09:48:07 PM »

What about these two albums? Are they the last good or at least decent Beach Boys ones?

Hi 5th Beatle! WOW, your mind is really expanding when it comes to THE BEACH BOYS, I'm really impressed. I have both of these albums and in my opinion, they'e not the greatest albums at all but the L.A. (LIGHT ALBUM) does have some decent songs. I do like "Good Timin'," "Lady Lynda," "Angel Come Home" and "Baby Blue," these songs do save the album a little. I will never understand why THE BEACH BOYS took the song "Here Comes The Night" from the WILD HONEY album and turned it into a 10:52 Disco song. I asked Denny about this just before he died in December 1983 and he told me that it wasn't his decision but if he would have had his way, he would have never let THE BEACH BOYS record a Disco song, let alone turning "Here's Comes The Night" into a Disco song. My advise to you 5th Beatle is to listen to as many of these songs on Youtube as you can, it is better that you be the judge of how you feel about both of these albums. Who knows, I may not like both of these albums very much but you might. If possible, after you listen to both of these albums, I would like to hear your opinion on both of these albums. Take care 5th Beatle.     

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #626 on: December 28, 2011, 10:01:34 PM »

I received the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL) version of PET SOUNDS today. It is packaged in a Mini-LP cover and is a Special Limited Edition No. 00326. The Matrix/ID Number is UDSACD 2065. I have heard it twice today and have mixed opinions. I would say that the overall sound quality of PET SOUNDS (MFSL version) is better than the DVD Audio version because of the high power dB Bass ranges. The Bass in the MFSL version is incredible, the MFSL version is made specifically for high volumes. The higher the volumes, the better the Bass and overall sound quality with no distortion. The DVD Audio is better than the MFSL version only because of the high treble ranges but the Bass is not as good as the MFSL version. Overall, in my opinion, I would give the slight edge to the PET SOUNDS MFSL version over any other PET SOUNDS version (Including the DVD Audio) ever released up to now. If you were to mix the high treble ranges from the DVD Audio with the powerful Bass of the MFSL version, you would have the ULTIMATE PET SOUNDS album. Take care.   
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 12:37:01 PM by BeatlesForever »

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #627 on: December 28, 2011, 10:03:52 PM »

Hi 5th Beatle! WOW, your mind is really expanding when it comes to THE BEACH BOYS, I'm really impressed. I have both of these albums and in my opinion, they'e not the greatest albums at all but the L.A. (LIGHT ALBUM) does have some decent songs. I do like "Good Timin'," "Lady Lynda," "Angel Come Home" and "Baby Blue," these songs do save the album a little. I will never understand why THE BEACH BOYS took the song "Here Comes The Night" from the WILD HONEY album and turned it into a 10:52 Disco song. I asked Denny about this just before he died in December 1983 and he told me that it wasn't his decision but if he would have had his way, he would have never let THE BEACH BOYS record a Disco song, let alone turning "Here's Comes The Night" into a Disco song. My advise to you 5th Beatle is to listen to as many of these songs on Youtube as you can, it is better that you be the judge of how you feel about both of these albums. Who knows, I may not like both of these albums very much but you might. If possible, after you listen to both of these albums, I would like to hear your opinion on both of these albums. Take care 5th Beatle.   

Thanks a lot for the opinion, BeatlesForever. I'm still very impressed by the fact that you and Dennis Wilson were close friends and that you could asked him whatever you wanted about his (or the band's) music. I couldn't even imagine being face to face with a Beatle or with another singer I love and respect. I'd probably be speechless for hours. I'll be listening to those albums soon, I think, and I'll come back with opinions. Tough, I must say, I'm not really looking forward to 11 minutes of disco.

Right now as I'm typing, I'm listening to Side B of their 1965's "Today!" and I can't believe how good it is. :)

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #628 on: December 28, 2011, 10:13:17 PM »

Thanks a lot for the opinion, BeatlesForever. I'm still very impressed by the fact that you and Dennis Wilson were close friends and that you could asked him whatever you wanted about his (or the band's) music. I couldn't even imagine being face to face with a Beatle or with another singer I love and respect. I'd probably be speechless for hours. I'll be listening to those albums soon, I think, and I'll come back with opinions. Tough, I must say, I'm not really looking forward to 11 minutes of disco.

Right now as I'm typing, I'm listening to Side B of their 1965's "Today!" and I can't believe how good it is. :)

You're welcome 5th Beatle, I feel confident that our friend Joost can be of some help here also. The TODAY album from 1965 is an outstanding album. I LOVE the 1960's Surf Rock sound formula that THE BEACH BOYS were recording during the 1960's, in my opinion, that was their best sound ever. Take care. 

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #629 on: December 29, 2011, 12:41:06 AM »

'MIU Album' and 'LA (Light Album)' are certainly not among their better albums.

'MIU Album' was recorded during a feud between Mike and Al on one side and Carl and Dennis on the other side, with a very fragile Brian being stuck in the middle. As a result, this is mostly a Love/Jardine project. Brian contributes his share of compositions and vocals, but they're all far below his earlier standards. Carl and Dennis hardly have any input at all. I honestly can't say that anything on this album is particularly terrible, it's all listenable, but nothing is really good either. It's background music. Which is kind of painful if you realize that the same group was responsible for 'Pet Sounds' and 'Smile' just a decade earlier.

'LA (Light Album)' is a bit better. At least Carl and Dennis are back on board. Dennis even contributes a couple of songs that were originally intended for his unreleased second solo album. I think 'Good Timin'', 'Lady Lynda' and 'Baby Blue' are good songs, definately among the best song the group released after the mid 70s. Most of the other songs here are kind of boring though. The disco version of 'Here Comes the Night' is really not that bad for what it is, but it should've been about 8 minutes shorter...

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #630 on: December 29, 2011, 01:45:09 AM »

'MIU Album' and 'LA (Light Album)' are certainly not among their better albums.

'MIU Album' was recorded during a feud between Mike and Al on one side and Carl and Dennis on the other side, with a very fragile Brian being stuck in the middle. As a result, this is mostly a Love/Jardine project. Brian contributes his share of compositions and vocals, but they're all far below his earlier standards. Carl and Dennis hardly have any input at all. I honestly can't say that anything on this album is particularly terrible, it's all listenable, but nothing is really good either. It's background music. Which is kind of painful if you realize that the same group was responsible for 'Pet Sounds' and 'Smile' just a decade earlier.

'LA (Light Album)' is a bit better. At least Carl and Dennis are back on board. Dennis even contributes a couple of songs that were originally intended for his unreleased second solo album. I think 'Good Timin'', 'Lady Lynda' and 'Baby Blue' are good songs, definately among the best song the group released after the mid 70s. Most of the other songs here are kind of boring though. The disco version of 'Here Comes the Night' is really not that bad for what it is, but it should've been about 8 minutes shorter...

Hi Joost, my fellow BEACH BOYS fanatic! Thanks for your additional info for 5th Beatle, he's really getting into THE BEACH BOYS! I could never imagine or picture THE BEACH BOYS recording Disco music, THE BEACH BOYS were known for recording Surf Rock music. In my opinion, THE BEACH BOYS should have never recorded a Disco song, let alone recording an 11 minute Disco song. Take care Joost.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:13:34 AM by BeatlesForever »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #631 on: December 29, 2011, 11:42:37 AM »

Hi Joost, my fellow BEACH BOYS fanatic! Thanks for your additional info for 5th Beatle, he's really getting into THE BEACH BOYS! I could never imagine or picture THE BEACH BOYS recording Disco music, THE BEACH BOYS were known for recording Surf Rock music. In my opinion, THE BEACH BOYS should have never recorded a Disco song, let alone recording an 11 minute Disco song. Take care Joost.

I guess they were just desperate for a new hit single. And at least they made better disco than rap music.  ha2ha

The Beach Boys - Summer of Love

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #632 on: December 29, 2011, 12:30:11 PM »

I guess they were just desperate for a new hit single. And at least they made better disco than rap music.  ha2ha

The Beach Boys - Summer of Love

You mean Surf Rap! The credits say that the music is by Cory Lerios, he was the lead singer of PABLO CRUISE. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:59:45 PM by BeatlesForever »

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #633 on: January 04, 2012, 03:28:51 AM »

Here's another from THE BEACH BOYS!

The Beach Boys - Still Cruisin'

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #634 on: January 04, 2012, 03:48:50 AM »

Ummm, I was in the mood to listen to this one...

Beach Boys  Wendy

...some early mature Beach Boys
I can stay till it's time to go

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #635 on: January 04, 2012, 03:51:41 AM »

Ummm, I was in the mood to listen to this one...

Beach Boys  Wendy

...some early mature Beach Boys

Great song Hello Goodbye! Here's another!

The Beach Boys - Let Him Run Wild (with lyrics)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #636 on: January 16, 2012, 03:55:04 PM »

I ordered this book about a few weeks ago and it finally arrived. I can't wait to read it. Think I'll just play "Carl and The Passions - So Tough" in the background and start right now. :)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #637 on: January 16, 2012, 03:57:57 PM »

I ordered this book about a few weeks ago and it finally arrived. I can't wait to read it. Think I'll just play "Carl and The Passions - So Tough" in the background and start right now. :)

Have fun with it, that's the best Beach Boys book I've read so far.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #638 on: January 16, 2012, 03:59:32 PM »

Have fun with it, that's the best Beach Boys book I've read so far.

Thanks. Great then, I'm even more excited now.  :)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #639 on: January 17, 2012, 12:59:22 PM »

Great performance by Dennis. Also, a very interesting story behind the song. My Beach Boys tune of the moment :

Beach Boys - Never Learn Not To Love - 1968
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 42

Page created in 0.733 seconds with 82 queries.