Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rare Stuart Sutcliffe Picture  (Read 20291 times)

parist

• One And One Is Two
Rare Stuart Sutcliffe Picture
« on: August 29, 2010, 05:33:25 PM »

is this a rare picture of Stuart Sutcliffe?? Not seen it anywhere before? Must be a private picture from Astrid Kircherr's personal collection.

taken from the following Liverpool Echo article reviewing the current exhibition of Astrid Kirchherr’s work at Liverpool University’s Victoria Gallery & Museum

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2010/08/23/rare-beatles-images-revealed-in-exhibition-of-astrid-kirchherr-s-work-at-liverpool-university-s-victoria-gallery-museum-100252-27115433/
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 07:21:33 AM by Bobber »
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Rare Stuart Sutcliffe Picture
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »

maybe.....looks like bobby kemp too...

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 07:36:32 AM »

Doesn't look like Stu.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 09:02:08 PM »

let's ask astrid....or get billys input... ;yes

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 11:54:04 PM »

That's Stu. Astrid attended the opening of her exhibition last week. Virginia and I were invited, but couldn't make it up to Liverpool. Our old friend Rod Murray was there. Astrid stayed the whole week. Colin Fallows, who organised it all, is sending me the brochure and I should have more information on the pics

parist

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 05:03:18 PM »

Doesn't look like Stu.

well there you go, it was Stu.  ;yes

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 09:32:32 AM »

thanks willam....

Ligger

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 01:11:42 AM »

Thanks for posting that parist.

And thanks, Bill, for the verification. That picture shows us another side of Stu.

I have read about another rare shot of Stuart, that was taken when Gene Vincent played at the Liverpool Boxing Stadium on May 2, 1960.  It may have been taken at a nearby smaller venue that evening or the following night. It's supposed to be a picture of Stu and John in the audience.

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 07:30:08 PM »

They did go to the concert at the Liverpool Stadium. I also know that photos were taken that night as I have seen ones of the Big Three and Rory Storm & the Hurricanes.

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 02:11:53 PM »

Quote from: Bill Harry
They did go to the concert at the Liverpool Stadium. I also know that photos were taken that night as I have seen ones of the Big Three and Rory Storm & the Hurricanes.

These ones??:

BTW: Johnny Gustafson is playing his Hoyer_Soloist_converted_to_a_bass with Cass & The Cassanovas at this Liverpool Stadium gig on 3 May 1960. In the audience at that historical event there were four young Liverpudlian musicians -John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison & Stuart Sutcliffe- who had acquired recently a [Höfner 500/5] bass guitar, a 'rare beast' at those days in Liverpool judging by what I learnt...

Xosé
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 02:17:33 PM by Xose »

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 03:51:42 PM »

Yes, these are the images I remember. Whoever took the photographs wouldn't have just left it to two shots, he'd have taken a roll, so he might have images of John and Stu in the audience.

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 04:45:18 PM »

Yes, these are the images I remember. Whoever took the photographs wouldn't have just left it to two shots, he'd have taken a roll, so he might have images of John and Stu in the audience.

It would be really great to find those other shots...

BTW: weren't George and Paul as well in the audience??

Best!!  ;)

Xosé

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 09:27:30 AM »

Pete Best was in the audience and this is what he told me: "Rory was always a great showman, and extrovert, and the funny thing was he had this terrible stutter offstage, but onstage he was okay. At the stadium show where I saw him for the first time, he created such an impression.
"The stadium was a second home to me. I'd been there as a kid watching the boxing bouts, what with my Dad being a promoter, but it was quite different to be sitting watching a rock show going on in the ring.
"At this show the music started, Storm was announced, the Hurricanes came on stage. The music kept going on and on. Pow! Pow! Pow! But where the hell was Rory! It kept on going. Finally, he picked his moment and walked down from the back of the half where the boxers used to come from. In his gold lame suit, with that bond hair of his, he cut a very impressive figure - the classic showman.
"He took his time walking down; the crowd's adulation meant he had to go slowly. Then he jumped on stage and went into his number.
"I was sitting there and I thought to myself, 'That's great.' He basically stole the show with his entrance."

Incidentally, there is an American film planned about Rory. Does anyone know about it?

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 10:16:49 AM »

Excellent memories those of Pete Best. Rory was an 'Artist', i.e., a man from older times already in 1960...

Xosé

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 08:25:09 PM »

'Stadium'  -  sounds like a big venue, haven't heard of it as a Liverpool venue before when reading about the Beatles. Is that because they ever played there? I knew that RS and the H's were a big deal in Liverpool, so no surprise that they got to support Gene Vincent. Please excuse my igorance but was the stadium ever used for other concerts?
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

Ligger

• A Beginning
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 12:11:36 PM »

Did Gene play any other smaller Liverpool venues that week?
I think the John and Stu audience picture was taken by the Widnes Weekly News photographer.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 12:22:25 PM by Ligger »

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 02:03:29 PM »

Yes, that picture by the Widnes Weekly News that they allowed me to use in Mersey Beat was taken at the Rialto Ballroom. As you know, the Beatles got to know Gene, not only in Hamburg, but when he was on a gig with them at the Cavern. When they went to Hamburg, Pete Best said, "John did his best to imitate Gene Vincent, grabbing up the microphone as if he were going to lay into the audience with it." They appeared with him at the Star Clkub in April 1962 when John asked for his autograph. When Vincent was asked what Hamburg was like, he said "OK there. I had a nice band backing me up. They're called the Beatles." He appeared with them at the Cavern on 1 July 1962 and Mike McCartney took a pic of John, Paul and Gene together, all in their leather jackets.
Incidentally, there has been a lot said about their leather jacket look, but no one seems to suggest that it was a look that Vincent had already popularised.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 08:26:50 AM »

Incidentally, there has been a lot said about their leather jacket look, but no one seems to suggest that it was a look that Vincent had already popularised.

while most people like that look, I don't think many people believe it was a Beatle invention.
don't follow leaders

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 12:31:25 PM »

Despite the development of the Beatles leather look via their adventures in Hamburg, there's no doubt that it was a look already evident with Gene Vincent. I also remember another concert Gene gave in Liverpool - at the Essoldo, Birkenhead. I attended the show and wrote about it in Mersey Beat - and Gene wore a white leather suit.

Ligger

• A Beginning
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 01:12:52 PM »

The Essoldo, on Conway Street, Birkenhead.

Oh, man, I just love getting all the details from someone who was actually there.

Thanks, so much, Bill.

You are the man. I really wish I could fly from Japan to Liverpool for all the JL festivities in the next few months and document them with my cameras. Please, if you possibly can, find some way to preserve these essential historical get-to-gethers for those of us around the globe who, unfortunately, can't afford to participate.

Honestly, we are there, with you, in spirit.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 03:30:54 AM by Ligger »
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.513 seconds with 73 queries.