Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How I Won The War & Magic Christian  (Read 6823 times)

mattb_uk

How I Won The War & Magic Christian
« on: March 19, 2004, 10:31:46 AM »

Does anyone know if its possiable 2 buy How I Won The War & The Magic Christian on DVD??? as i wud specially love 2 see How I Won The War as i saw i clip of it on The Beatles Anthlogy and its looks wkd
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

BeatleMania2004

Re: How I Won The War & Magic Christian
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 07:43:52 AM »

Sorry Matt, I haven't seen either of them, but would like to also.
Have you got all of the other Beatles movies?
They are really difficult to find!

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 04:10:57 PM »

[quote by=mattb_uk link=Blah.pl?b=films,m=1079692306,s=0 date=1079692306]Does anyone know if its possiable 2 buy How I Won The War & The Magic Christian on DVD??? as i wud specially love 2 see How I Won The War as i saw i clip of it on The Beatles Anthlogy and its looks wkd[/quote]

I've seen both of these movies and they are both incredibly confusing but nevertheless interesting! I don't think either is available on DVD. 

mattb_uk

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 11:47:58 AM »

Sorry Matt, I haven't seen either of them, but would like to also.
Have you got all of the other Beatles movies?
They are really difficult to find!

ive got ive got all the beatles films as in A Hard Days Night, Help, Magical Mystery Tour & Let It Be

DVD - Let It Be & A Hard Day's Night
VHS - Help, A Hard Day's night & Magical Mystery Tour

But on ebay they have got Magical Mystery Tour DVDs

Beatle Ed

• Getting Better
  • //0-0\\//- -\\
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 06:21:52 AM »

I don't think "How I won the war" or Magic Christian will ever be on DVD. I dunno how they mass produce  movies with 0 demand. lol . I bought "HIWTW" and I liked it, it made me larf..

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 12:55:13 PM »

[quote by=Beatle_Ed link=Blah.pl?b=films,m=1079692306,s=4 date=1081059712]I don't think "How I won the war" or Magic Christian will ever be on DVD. I dunno how they mass produce

Beatle Ed

• Getting Better
  • //0-0\\//- -\\
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 03:46:32 AM »

lol  I liked when John emptied the Roller water, and people kept asking who did it and he was standing there shouting "it was me sir! me!!"

Patton

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's all in the mind.
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 07:19:06 PM »

I havn't heard of it. probly to young.
Adam Priestle

Wayne L.

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 07:01:53 PM »

I saw How I Won The War for the first time a few years ago which I thought was alright but not too great while John getting killed in a scene is kind of freaky.  I saw The Magic Christian with Ringo & the late, great Peter Sellers for the first & only time on late night television back in 80 which I thought it was great since it's one of his finest roles an actor.

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 09:34:44 AM »

John Lennon's Scenes in How I Won the War
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 10:48:59 AM »

How I Won The War is on DVD I got it a few years ago but have to admit only watched it once.

Bobber

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 09:06:08 PM »

Lennon's 'How I Won the War' Comes to DVD March 20

John Lennon stars in his only non-Beatles theatrical performance in HOW I WON THE WAR available March 20th through MGM's Limited Edition Collection. This DVD release debuts on the anniversary of John and Yoko Ono's highly publicized "Bed-In" protesting the Vietnam War, and John and Yoko's actual wedding. Under the supervision of director Richard Lester the DVD has been fully remastered.

Originally released in 1967, the film stars Michael Crawford as inept British WWII commander Lieutenant Earnest Boodbody, with Musketeer Gripweed (John Lennon), Musketeer Juniper (Jack MacGowran), Musketeer Clapper (Roy Kinnear) and Sergeant Transom (Lee Montague) under his command. The film features a hilariously surreal collage of battle footage and one-liners lampooning the absurdity of war.

"We are excited to bring How I Won the War to DVD for the fans of John Lennon. We were fortunate enough to have Yoko Ono write an introductory letter for the book giving insight to John's experience on the film," said Matt Lasorsa, SVP MGM DVD Marketing. "The special introductory letter, combined with photos of John from the film, makes this commemorative Booklet a must have for John Lennon fans."

For a limited time only the special edition commemorative Booklet will be included with each purchase featuring behind the scenes stills from the film. The Booklet will be printed using HP MagCloud, a new self-publishing web service invented by HP Labs.

"HP MagCloud is changing the way ideas, stories and images find their way into peoples' hands and we are excited to see MGM/Fox use this print on demand format to provide John Lennon fans an exclusive glimpse into the filmmaking process," said Andrew Bolwell, director, New Business Initiatives, HP. "Thanks to MagCloud, fans can enjoy high-quality images from the film in a tangible print format."

HOW I WON THE WAR Special Edition will be available on DVD starting March 1 for pre-orders and March 20 at many of your favorite internet retailers.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 09:35:01 PM »

Lennon's 'How I Won the War' Comes to DVD March 20

John Lennon stars in his only non-Beatles theatrical performance in HOW I WON THE WAR available March 20th through MGM's Limited Edition Collection. This DVD release debuts on the anniversary of John and Yoko Ono's highly publicized "Bed-In" protesting the Vietnam War, and John and Yoko's actual wedding. Under the supervision of director Richard Lester the DVD has been fully remastered.

Originally released in 1967, the film stars Michael Crawford as inept British WWII commander Lieutenant Earnest Boodbody, with Musketeer Gripweed (John Lennon), Musketeer Juniper (Jack MacGowran), Musketeer Clapper (Roy Kinnear) and Sergeant Transom (Lee Montague) under his command. The film features a hilariously surreal collage of battle footage and one-liners lampooning the absurdity of war.

"We are excited to bring How I Won the War to DVD for the fans of John Lennon. We were fortunate enough to have Yoko Ono write an introductory letter for the book giving insight to John's experience on the film," said Matt Lasorsa, SVP MGM DVD Marketing. "The special introductory letter, combined with photos of John from the film, makes this commemorative Booklet a must have for John Lennon fans."

For a limited time only the special edition commemorative Booklet will be included with each purchase featuring behind the scenes stills from the film. The Booklet will be printed using HP MagCloud, a new self-publishing web service invented by HP Labs.

"HP MagCloud is changing the way ideas, stories and images find their way into peoples' hands and we are excited to see MGM/Fox use this print on demand format to provide John Lennon fans an exclusive glimpse into the filmmaking process," said Andrew Bolwell, director, New Business Initiatives, HP. "Thanks to MagCloud, fans can enjoy high-quality images from the film in a tangible print format."

HOW I WON THE WAR Special Edition will be available on DVD starting March 1 for pre-orders and March 20 at many of your favorite internet retailers.

I just did a search for HIWTW on Amazon UK and it lists the DVD as having been released in 2008. It is for sale for under a fiver with free postage.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HOW-I-WON-WAR-DVD/dp/B00029RDWC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299360693&sr=8-1

So the one Bobber mentions above must be a re-issue. I wonder if it has any new extras included.

I also noticed that The Magic Christian is for sale for £5.69, again with free postage. It says the DVD was issued in 2006.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Christian-DVD-Richard-Attenborough/dp/B000FFJVGY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1299360693&sr=8-4

(I don't work for Amazon - just pointing this out!!!  ;D )

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 03:30:14 PM »

I have both of these films on LaserDisc. It has been a long time since I have seen them. When I got them (early '90s) and watched them I was disappointed. It is fun to see John and Ringo in roles without Paul and George, but I did not find either film easy to watch.

I prefer watching Ringo in his 1978 TV Special "Ognirr Rratts", and John didn't really do anymore acting, unless you count the 1971 "Imagine" (not the 1988 film).
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 05:00:46 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaLMsZU6NaY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaLMsZU6NaY</a>

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 09:55:56 AM »

I love 'The Magic Christian'. I've had it on DVD for a few years now. I laugh my ass off watching it.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 04:04:49 PM »

I love 'The Magic Christian'. I've had it on DVD for a few years now. I laugh my ass off watching it.

Me too.  You've got to hand it to that Laurence Harvey.  He really knows his job...

Hamlet - The Magic Christian

I can stay till it's time to go

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 83 queries.