Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: MACCA/Wacko/Wonder/Wings  (Read 5104 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
MACCA/Wacko/Wonder/Wings
« on: May 12, 2008, 07:13:41 PM »

Such an excellent period  (smoking3)(thumbsdown)(thumbsup)(jumping)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Re: MACCA/Wacko/Wonder/Wings
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 07:23:30 PM »

" What's That You're Doing ? " gets my vote it's nice and funky . (rainbow4)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »

Yep. "What's That You're Doing."  (teeth1)

Which reminds me...

wDZFf0pm0SE

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 09:27:17 AM »

I think these collaberations although not the greatest artistic achievement of Paul's career , show he was a savvy mover .
Wings are coming to an end Paul offers Wacko a nice little song  " Girlfriend " which he records and put's on " Off The Wall " , this album launch's Jackson into the stratosphere .
 Paul then ropes in Stevie Wonder to duet on the mega selling " Ebony And Ivory " the lead off single from Paul's very successful " Tug Of War " album   . Paul then pops up on "The Girl Is Mine " which is another hit and a track on the biggest selling album of all time " Thriller " , a few months later Paul and Wacko are at it again with the massive selling " Say Say Say " which as Paul and Wacko hamming it up in a great little music video .
Paul shows for the second time in his solo career that he can reinvent himself to a new generation . And although these songs are not brilliant , Paul did have his finger firmly on the pop pulse of the time  ?

Then it all ended in tears as Wacko Walked off with The Beatles songs  (scream2)(scream3)(scream2)(jumping)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 01:22:15 PM »

Quote from: 971
And although these songs are not brilliant , Paul did have his finger firmly on the pop pulse of the time  ?

He certainly got hits with these, but I wonder if they didn't damage his career in the long run too; after "Ebony and Ivory," "The Girl Is Mine," Pipes Of Peace, and Give My Regards To Broad Street I gave up listening to his new records altogether for about five years until Flowers In The Dirt came out. That's just me, of course, but I wonder how many others also drew the conclusion that he'd gone off the rails for good.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 03:28:17 PM »

Is the poll meant to be for the worst or the best?

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 07:25:58 PM »

Quote from: 483
Is the poll meant to be for the worst or the best?

Best of a bad bunch BlueMeanie , just close your eyes and try and pin the tail on the Donkey .

(laugh1)(laugh2)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 07:34:14 PM »

Then it's between The Girl Is Mine, and Ebony & Ivory. The Girl Is Mine just won because of the nauseating chat between them.(barf4)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 07:39:27 PM »

Quote from: 1161

He certainly got hits with these, but I wonder if they didn't damage his career in the long run too; after "Ebony and Ivory," "The Girl Is Mine," Pipes Of Peace, and Give My Regards To Broad Street I gave up listening to his new records altogether for about five years until Flowers In The Dirt came out. That's just me, of course, but I wonder how many others also drew the conclusion that he'd gone off the rails for good.

I would say it did Geoff , although in Paul's defense his 80's output was no better or worse than a lot of established stars from that decade ? Bowie's output after "Scary Monster's " was real drivel , so he was'nt alone in treading water ?

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 07:45:19 PM »

Then it's between The Girl Is Mine, and Ebony & Ivory. The Girl Is Mine just won because of the nauseating chat between them.(barf4)

I think  " The Girl Is Mine " is sh*te but  Whats That Your Doing ? with Stevie is rather good

(dance)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 07:57:09 PM »

It looks like I miss read you and voted for the worst!

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 08:05:10 PM »

It looks like I miss read you and voted for the worst!

There is really not much in it BlueMeanie (jumping) we should just be thankful we did'nt get a full albums worth ?

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 02:54:33 AM »

Quote from: 971
I would say it did Geoff , although in Paul's defense his 80's output was no better or worse than a lot of established stars from that decade ? Bowie's output after "Scary Monster's " was real drivel , so he was'nt alone in treading water ?

True enough. Most mainstream eighties pop culture seemed pretty bad to me, actually. It was a great decade in which to turn it all off and go lie on a beach instead. Which I did.  :)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 01:56:24 PM »

True enough. Most mainstream eighties pop culture seemed pretty bad to me, actually. It was a great decade in which to turn it all off and go lie on a beach instead. Which I did.  :)

A while ago we tried to think of an eighties album by a sixties act that was anything as good as they produced in their heydays. I think the only contender we came up with was Paul Simon's Graceland. There is that awful ten years when rock stars are too old to be cool but still too young to be nostalgic and they should be frozen some where.
don't follow leaders

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 03:56:00 PM »

Quote from: 185

A while ago we tried to think of an eighties album by a sixties act that was anything as good as they produced in their heydays. I think the only contender we came up with was Paul Simon's Graceland. There is that awful ten years when rock stars are too old to be cool but still too young to be nostalgic and they should be frozen some where.

It's interesting that most pop/rock performers since the sixties have more or less done whatever they have it in them to do by the time they're thirty or thirty five. I wonder if that's because there's a basic limitation in the genre itself or a lack of talent on the part of the performers. Nobody seems to have come up with an "adult" style of rock that's at all convincing or even just not boring.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 04:40:47 PM »

I see this happen to novelists, too. Even really good ones seem to have a set of themes that ignite them and inspire them and they're dynamite. Then... they've said it. They got out what they needed to say, and they have the choice of rehashing the same old themes or going for new ideas, but ones that don't hold as much juice.

I think creativity is driven a great deal by a need to express oneself. Otherwise, it becomes a mere job or habit or challenge (such as Paul trying on different music styles). When you're young, you're on fire about a number of things. It's all new and exciting (or irritating) and you've got to get your two bits in. Then, if you become successful, you have a house and home and car and food. Where is the material? You're comfortable. I think comfort is one of the deadly enemies of art.

There is that awful ten years when rock stars are too old to be cool but still too young to be nostalgic and they should be frozen some where.
This is so true! Listening to Ringo's work, I really love his nostalgic stuff. When he sang "Weight of the World", I could picture him telling this to John. The older, wiser Ringo trying to share his wisdom with a friend. We get that in "Fade In Fade Out" and also some of Paul's MAF. I think George's "Brainwashed" definitely falls into this category, and his Cloud 9 falls into the previous-- coming back to something rejuvenated after a rest.  
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 04:54:43 PM »

The 80's was a duvet decade creatively for most of them , your right about  comfort been the enemy of art harihead .(crosseyed2)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 08:12:38 AM »

It's interesting that most pop/rock performers since the sixties have more or less done whatever they have it in them to do by the time they're thirty or thirty five. I wonder if that's because there's a basic limitation in the genre itself or a lack of talent on the part of the performers. Nobody seems to have come up with an "adult" style of rock that's at all convincing or even just not boring.

No - it's wierd. In jazz and blues and classical age is no impediment to success. Rock seems to be much more strongly linked with yoof culture. In a way I guess that's to it's detriment-you could surmise from that that its appeal is more about image and the listener than the music itself.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 09:07:39 AM »

No - it's wierd. In jazz and blues and classical age is no impediment to success. Rock seems to be much more strongly linked with yoof culture. In a way I guess that's to it's detriment-you could surmise from that that its appeal is more about image and the listener than the music itself.

We've discussed this before. Jazz musicians seem to evolve over time. Miles Davies had seminal albums in three different decades - Kind Of Blue ('59), ESP and b****es Brew ('65, '69), Tutu ('86). Jazz musicians that make it unusually big quickly tend to disappear. Courtney Pine anyone?

Rock/Pop musicians (with exceptions) seem to release their best work within their first five albums. Tom Waits is an exception, though I've never been able to categorise him. Out of twenty albums there's only two that I think are less than excellent.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 09:21:49 AM »

Van Morrison is another i think who does'nt fit the mold . Mind you both Waits and Morrison have never relied on image to get their music across .
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 79 queries.