Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: John Lennon's Books  (Read 10978 times)

KelMar

John Lennon's Books
« on: May 06, 2011, 04:14:44 AM »

I saw a link to this interview in an old thread but it didn't work so I thought I'd post it again. I think it's time for me to read his books; Jabberwocky was one of my favorite poems as a kid so I think I'll like them. At least they should make me think!

John Lennon - A Spaniard In The Works

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
Re: John Lennon's Books
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 08:22:30 AM »

Many German Version

Snoopy66

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 12:21:46 PM »

Hi  :)

Yes, I've got the german versions too  8) What do you think about the translation, compared to the english one ?

Snoopy

AppleScruffy96

• Getting Better
  • Love is old Love is new Love is all Love is you <3
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 01:56:11 PM »

I have both books at home and they're so funny! Perfect for brushing up on the ol' Liverpudlian accent as well  ;D
Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 10:30:18 PM »

I bought In His Own Write years ago.  I still pick it up to read from time to time.  If you like Jabberwocky, you'll like his prose.

John Lennon is heard reciting I Sat Belonely in this scene from Help! (at 2:12):

Help - The Beatles part 2

I Sat Belonely

I sat belonely down a tree,
humbled fat and small.
A little lady sing to me
I couldn't see at all.

I'm looking up and at the sky,
to find such wonderous voice.
Puzzly, puzzle, wonder why,
I hear but I have no choice.

'Speak up, come forth, you ravel me',
I potty menthol shout.
'I know you hiddy by this tree'.
But still she won't come out.

Such sofly singing lulled me sleep,
an hour or two or so
I wakeny slow and took a peep
and still no lady show.

Then suddy on a little twig
I thought I see a sight,
A tiny little tiny pig,
that sing with all it's might

'I thought you were a lady',
I giggle,-well I may,
To my surprise the lady,
got up-and flew away.

I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 10:34:09 PM »

And here's John with a few copies of A Spaniard In The Works...

5:54 here...

Help - The Beatles part 1

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 10:49:22 PM »

Jabberwocky....I remember my sophomore year English Literature class.  Dr. O'Brien, a young, new PhD, asked me to recite from Beowulf.  Along the way, I tossed in...

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

I finished my recitation and looked up at her.  She smiled and called on someone else to continue reciting.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 02:09:58 AM »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 03:30:35 AM »

How'd you do that??? If I had been that professor I would have put you in a corner!.

I smiled back at her.  She was cute.  ;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 03:34:54 AM »

My second time through Help I noticed how many copies of his book John had on his bed. Made me think of Live at the BBC, when Paul is being interviewed and John keeps yelling "What about my book then?" in the background. Makes me laugh every time.

John really put it around that he wrote that book, huh?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 03:41:10 AM »

Oh, the corner wouldn't have phased me a bit:  http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=5457.msg226266#msg226266

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 04:35:05 AM »

;)

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 11:40:24 AM »

Jesús El Pifco.

John Lennon, A Spaniard in the works, London, Jonathan Cape, 1965, pp.:

"...A SPANIARD IN THE WORKS

Jesus El Pifco was a foreigner and he knew it. He had imigrateful from his little white slum in Barcelover a good thirsty year ago having first secured the handy job as coachman in Scotland. The job was with the Laird of McAnus, a canny old tin whom have a castle in the Highlads. The first thing Jesus EI Pifco noticed in early the days was that the Laird didn't seem to have a coach of any discription or even a coach house you know, much to his dismable. But - and I use the word lightly - the Laird did seem to having some horses, each one sporting a fine pair of legs. Jesus fell in love with them at first sight, as they did with him, which was lucky, because his quarters were in the actually stables along side his noble four lepered friends.

Pretty polly one could see Jesus almost every day, grooming his masters horses, brushing their manebits and hammering their teeth, whistling a quaint Spanish refrain dreaming of his loved wombs back home in their little white fascist bastard huts. 'A well pair of groomed horses I must say,' he would remark to wee Spastic Sporran the flighty chamberlain, whom he'd had his good eye on eversince Hogmanose. 'Nae sa bad' she would answer in her sliced Aberdeen-martin accent. 'Ye spend more time wi' yon horses than ye do wi' me,' with that she would storm back to her duties, carefully tying her chastity negro hardly to her skim.

Being a good catholic, Jesus wiped the spit from his face and turned the other cheese - but she had gone leaving him once small in an agatha of christy. 'One dave she woll go too farther, and I woll leaf her' he said to his fave rave horse. Of course the horse didn't answer, because as you know they cannot speak, least of all to a garlic eating, stinking, little yellow greasy fascist bastard catholic Spaniard. They soon made it up howevans and Jesus and wee Spastic were once morphia unitely in a love that knew no suzie. The only thing that puzzled Jesus was why his sugarboot got so annoyed when he called her his little Spastic in public. Little wonder howeapon, with her real name being Patrick, you see? 'Ye musna' call me Spastic whilst ma friends are here Jesus ma bonnie wee dwarf' she said irragated. 'But I cannot not say Patrick me little tartan bag' he replied all herb and angie inside. She looked down at him through a mass of naturally curly warts. 'But Spastic means a kind of cripple in English ma sweet wee Jesus, and ai'm no cripple as you well known!' 'That's true enough' said he 'but I didn't not realize being a foreigner and that, and also not knowing your countries culture and so force, and anywait I can spot a cripple anywhere.'

He rambled on as Patrick knelt down lovingly with tears in her eye and slowly bit a piece of his bum. Then lifting her face upwarts, she said with a voice full of emulsion 'Can ye heffer forgive me Jesus, can ye? ' she slobbed. He looked at her strangely as if she were a strangely, then taking her slowly right foot he cried; 'Parreesy el pino a strevaro qui bueno el franco senatro! ' which rugby transplanted means - 'Only if you've got green braces' - and fortunately she had.

They were married in the fallout, with the Lairds blessing of course, he also gave them a 'wee gifty' as he put it, which was a useful addition to their bottom lawyer. It was a special jar of secret ointment made by generators of his forefingers to help get rid of Patricks crabs which she had unluckily caught from the Laird of McAnus himself at his late wifes (Lady McAnus') wake. They were overjoyced, and grapenut abun and beyond the call of duty. 'The only little crawlie things we want are babies,' quipped Jesus who was a sport. 'That's right sweety' answered Patrick reaching for him with a knowsley hall. 'Guid luck to you and yours' shouted the Laird from the old wing. 'God bless you sir' said Jesus quickly harnessing his wife with a dexterity that only practice can perfect. 'Come on me beauty' he whispered as he rode his wife at a steady trot towards the East Gate. 'We mustn't miss the first race my dear.' 'Not likely' snorted his newly wed wife breaking into a gull- up. 'Not likely' she repeated.

The honeymood was don short by a telephant from Mrs El Pifco (his mother) who was apparently leaving Barcelunder to se her eldest sod febore she died laughing, and besides the air would do her good she added. Patrick looked up from her nosebag and giggled. 'Don't joke about Mamma please if you donlang, she are all I have loft in the world and besides your mother's a bit of a brockwurst herselves' said Jesus, 'And if she's still alive when she gets here we can throw up a party for her and then she can meet all our ugly Scottish friends' he reflected. 'On the other handle we can always use her as a scarecrab in the top field' said Patrick practically.

So they packed their suitcrates marked 'his and hearse' and set off for their employers highly home in the highlies. 'We're home Sir' said Jesus to the wizened tartan figure knelt crouching over a bag of sheep. 'Why are ye bask so soon?' inquired the Laird, immediately recognizing his own staff through years of experience. 'I've had some bad jews from my Mammy - she's coming to seagull me, if its all ripe with you sir.' The Laird thought for a mumble, then his face lit up like a boiling wart. 'You're all fired' he smiled and went off whistling..."

Xosé

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 04:38:22 PM »

« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 04:44:38 PM by Badgirl66 »

AppleScruffy96

• Getting Better
  • Love is old Love is new Love is all Love is you <3
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 06:17:54 PM »

I freaking love that picture  ;D  ;yes
Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.

KelMar

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 06:56:33 PM »

Thank you Xose! I like to try before I buy when it comes to books and our library system doesn't have either book. Besides, I think it will take me a while to read them; I can only take John's writing in small doses.  :)

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 08:46:13 PM »

Thank you Xose! I like to try before I buy when it comes to books and our library system doesn't have either book. Besides, I think it will take me a while to read them; I can only take John's writing in small doses.  :)

You are welcome!! ;)

There are -digitalized- copies available on the Internet. Try googling a lil' bi'..

Xosé

KelMar

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 09:10:58 PM »

You are welcome!! ;)

There are -digitalized- copies available on the Internet. Try googling a lil' bi'..

Xosé

I'll do that. I like real books-I've been resisting buying a Kindle - but until I get around to buying these the digital will be great. I was kind of hoping you didn't go to all the trouble of writing that story out just for me.  ;)

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 09:25:39 PM »

I'll do that. I like real books-I've been resisting buying a Kindle - but until I get around to buying these the digital will be great. I was kind of hoping you didn't go to all the trouble of writing that story out just for me.  ;)

I know what you mean: I also prefer real books...

I'm happy to help you. Shame that my English is not good enough!!

Best!! ;)

Xosé

KelMar

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 09:48:21 PM »

I know what you mean: I also prefer real books...

I'm happy to help you. Shame that my English is not good enough!!

Best!! ;)

Xosé

I think you're doing very well. We all speak the language of Beatles fans here anyway!
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.81 seconds with 81 queries.