Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: ... with Elvis?  (Read 11658 times)

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
Re: ... with Elvis?
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2006, 02:11:59 AM »

LOL ;D

Yikes - that sounds TOO painful for words!!
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2006, 02:14:30 AM »

thats faron from farons flamingoes there in the middle...they said he weas drunk as cooter brown.....

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2006, 02:15:15 AM »

and ringo was still playing for rory storm......

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2006, 04:10:15 PM »

Who's the bird - looks like she's only got eyes for Paul!

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2006, 10:33:30 PM »

i think she is sitting next to john that is a cropped photo....i'll find the whole thing...bill harry wrote about that party i think.....

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2006, 11:57:28 PM »

The Beatles idolized Elvis--particularly John and Paul.  Elvis wasn't a writer, but he was a consummate performer and vocalist.  His greatest stuff is from the Sun Sessions--his Mystery Train and Blue Moon of Kentucky are incredible.  Some of the early RCA is great too, but by the 60s he was toast.  He couldn't reinvent himself.

In some ways, the Beatles were the perfect response to Elvis.  To his "hot" style and pelvis gyrations they played it cool.  The Beatles did their cowpoke kneebends and that was about it.  Though they could do rock shouters like Money or Long Tall Sally, there was always a little bit of irony, ice, to it.  

As far as I know none of the Beatles ever covered an Elvis song.  Even on John's Rock and Roll album.  Maybe a bridge too far . . . ?

As far as the Elvis name, it's Norse.  All-wise.   El-vis.    I've always doubted that Vernon and his wife had Elvis explicitly in mind when they named Elvis and were probably thinking of the more popular Elvin and just sorted screwed up.  Or thought they could make it "better"--who knows.  I don't think Vernon Presley was a Norse language scholar or anything.   Elvis Aron Presley is his full real name.  They couldn't spell Aaron right either.  

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2006, 06:13:08 AM »

paul has done elvis tunes(all shook up) as has ringo....at least the other two showed good taste and didn't cover elvis tunes....john did blue suede shoes but that carls song....
that pic al is in alan williams book i think....

Kate

• A Thousand Pages
  • Don't take it from the top
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2006, 07:36:05 AM »

I think they were pretty disappointed when they met Elvis, cause he wasn't at all easy to talk with - that's my guess....well, at least with the he couldn't share their experiences and the other way round.....though they adored him....don't think they did afterwards....take it that John invented all this little stories (jamming with Elvis) to make it sound more interesting than it ever was....

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2006, 07:53:23 AM »

aha...its a sam leach photo......
http://www.samleach.com/photos_beatles.html

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2006, 07:54:49 AM »

the all nighter....

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2006, 08:06:34 AM »

maybe its a sam picture....taken by dick matthews....look at this one paul has his foot i think....
read about sams engagement party....

Kate

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2006, 08:07:48 AM »

love those pics....thankx for posting them...I know I have them..... somewhere in various books....

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2006, 08:08:18 AM »

wait and i will try to find it...the story...it mayb alan caldwells foot....

Kate

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2006, 08:10:19 AM »

Elvis met the Beatles![/u]

thought I put this in for everyone who doesn't know......ha ha ha if there is such a thing....

Bobber

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2006, 11:11:55 AM »

Quote from: pc31
wait and i will try to find it...the story...it mayb alan caldwells foot....

Yeah, Rory insisted on being on the photograph too, so Paul grabbed his foot.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2006, 03:48:26 AM »

Borrowed my brother's "Run Devil Run"--Paul's version of "All Shook Up" didn't shake me up.  It was competent, but Paul in 1997 ain't Elvis of 1957.  But then who is?  Or was?

It's weird how some versions of songs become definitive.  Like almost all Beatles versions of their own songs are the definitive versions.

I'm up in the air re. Blue Suede Shoes.  I love Carl Perkins, but I'm not sure Elvis didn't surpass him.  Anyway, Elvis's Sun Sessions and his first album on RCA is a masterpiece for me that stands right up there with the greatest rock'n'roll ever recorded.  It doesn't hurt to have guitarists like Chet Atkins and Scotty Moore.  And D.J. Fontana on drums.  Great Gawd-a-mighty!  

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2006, 03:37:14 AM »

me and the fat elvis agree

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2007, 08:15:04 PM »

Quote from: 345
I got this out of a magazine=)

On the night of Aug. 27, The Beatles went to visit Elvis at his Los Angeles home at 565 Perugia Way.  Author Chris Hutchins was with them.

Elvis and his wife pricilla were sitting in the centre of a horeshoe couch in the den, hutchins said.  "He was wearing a red shirt and close-fitting black jerkin, the high Napoleonic collar rising above his sideburns."
"Priscilla was pure Hollywood starlet.  Her black bouffant towered above her forhead and she was heavily made up with thick black mascara, midnight blue eye-liner, red blusher and heartbreak pink lipstick.  She was wearing a figure-hugging cream jacket with long pants and there was a jeweled tiara on her head.

"Elvis rose to greet his guests, sun-tanned and outwardly relaxed.
"peering 'round the room like peter sellers and putting on an inspector clouseau accent to address his reluctant host, Jogn said, "Oh, zere you are!"

The Mersey river had finally run into the MIssissippi River and already I could see there were going to be some big waves.

There was a sudden silence as the record that was playing came to an end. No one spoke.

The silence became uncomfortable and then embarrassing.  Everyone looked at Elvis.

Nervously, he picked up the remote control and started changing the channels on the TV.

Throwing the device on the coffee table, elvis said, "If you guys are just gonna sit there and start at me I'm goin' to bed.  Let's call it a night, right Cilla? I didn't mean for this to be like the subjects calling on hte King.  I just htought we'd sit and talk about music and maybe jam a little."

"That would be great," Paul enthused, trying to save the situation.

Elvis ordered somebody to bring in the guitars.  Electric guitars are brought in and plugged into amplifiers which are scattered around the room, and a white piano is pushed into the center of the room.  Elvis picks up the bass guitar he has started to learn to play.

The party broke around 2 a.m., but there was a parting shot from John as we bundled each other out of the front door.  "Sanks for ze music, He said, adding sarcastically, "Long live the King."

As we walked to the car Colonel Tom Parker said to me, "Tell the fans it was a great meeting."

Jogn overhears this and laughed and sid, "Tell them the truth, it was a load of rubbish."

And there you go, how the Beatles met the king. Exscuse any typing mistakes etc. I typed it up in like 2 minutes and wasn't very careful hehe. Just thought Id bring that little bit of info to you=)

from here: http://dmbeatles.com/forums/m-1078757475/

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2007, 08:20:43 PM »

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2007, 01:50:16 AM »

I've read Georg'es description of the meeting somewhere in these forums that gave a very different picture ... he made it sound like they had a good time.

So much stuff we will probably never really know what happened.  I bet that they would have been tickled pink to be Elvis' Jordannaires for an evening. Of course Elvis might not have liked that.
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 75 queries.