Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What led John to heroin?  (Read 26305 times)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: What led John to heroin?
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 05:14:28 PM »

Isn't there evidence that John continued to use heroin into the 70s? I forget which John book it was in, but John arranged some press meeting-- perhaps John Sinclair, perhaps an album announcement, I honestly don't remember. And the press didn't take pictures or report the story or John's "message", because he was so obviously wasted. Is this just Beatle rumor?

In my opinion, John was an experimenter who would try anything. There's little doubt that he got heavy into heroin after meeting Yoko. Some people say she introduced him to it, believing you can't get hooked if you sniff it. This was reportedly behind most of the animosity George felt for Yoko, that she did this to his mate. Poor George; he's got his two close mates Eric and John both on the junk. He tried to explain the "why" of heroin on his Dick Cavett interview that is occasionally on YouTube (it keeps getting taken down). "I think people are just looking for a better high," was his explanation. George went on to state that he did his own share of substance use, but when it came to H, "I didn't want to know."

Also, let me know if this is just another rumor, but the other 3 Beatles combined their resources at one point to send both John and Yoko to a clinic to come off the stuff. It was all kept quiet as it was quite a stigma. I believe this was supposed to have occurred before "Cold Turkey". John did not come off it without help.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »

Scientists are still trying to figure out why Keith Richards is the most resilient life form on earth over the cock roach....

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 11:57:12 PM »

I didn't read anyone's answers but I guess its just because marjuana isn't a powerful drug its a gate way drug, so it was only time Lennon would experiment with other drugs. But then again George didn't use heroin neither with the other Beatles. I don't think he was hooked though because he just stopped "Cold Turkey"

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 01:13:03 AM »

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 01:21:15 AM »

Quote from: 668
I didn't read anyone's answers but I guess its just because marjuana isn't a powerful drug its a gate way drug, so it was only time Lennon would experiment with other drugs. But then again George didn't use heroin neither with the other Beatles. I don't think he was hooked though because he just stopped "Cold Turkey"

I think for John, even alcohol was a gateway drug, before the prellies, before the pot, before ... He had that kind of personality. Heck, you could even say life itself was a gateway drug in his case. From very early in life John was destined to be wasted (from birth?) ... I can easily see him, if he had never found music, as some dockworker who got laid off and then dead, all from alcohol (car wreck, fight, died in the gutter, etc.).

To me the amazing thing is that he didn't die , but somehow crawled back up. I am the farthest thing from a Yoko fan, especially if she abetted that stuff, but I have to believe without his Upper West Side shelter he probably wouldn't have made it.

I bet May Pang's book can shed a bit of light on this part of John ...
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Joe

• A Beginning
    • The Beatles Bible
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2008, 02:03:53 PM »

In Many Years From Now, Miles talks about gallery owner Robert Fraser's heroin habit in the late 60s, and how McCartney was first exposed to the drug through that circle of people. I can't remember the exact details, but there's a passage in which McCartney describes seeing a stunningly beautiful woman trying to get someone hooked on heroin, and how he thought it was one of the most disgusting sights he'd ever seen.

Robert Fraser owned Indica, the art gallery where Lennon and Ono first met in 1966. He was the art director for the Sgt Pepper cover, and helped get Richard Hamilton on board for the White Album. The Indica gallery also hosted You Are Here, Lennon's exhibition in 1968.

Therefore Lennon wouldn't have been far from heroin in that time. Fraser's habit led to him being imprisoned in 1968, and the gallery closed the following year when his addiction worsened.

Here's an article I wrote about The Beatles and heroin (and other drugs), which probably needs a bit more research: http://www.beatlesbible.com/features/drugs/5/

I seem to remember Albert Goldman saying that Pepper was made under the influence of speedballs (heroin and cocaine mixed together), and that Lennon kicked his habit by being tied to a chair with only an arm left free to smoke cigarettes. But I wouldn't take much notice of anything Goldman wrote.
http://www.beatlesbible.com - come and say hi, and PM me any suggestions. It's a work in progress but you'll get the idea...

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 02:54:40 PM »

Jimmy died from a heroin overdose. I guess he had been taking it for awhile because he went to the doctor sometime in '79 and told him that he was dying way before he came in for a visit, he gave him vallium (spell?) pills and Jimmy was on his way. The pills stacked up on Jimmy's counter  :-/

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 02:42:56 PM »

Hey, welcome to the forums Joe, i really like your posts & i've checked your website out, excellant work!  ;)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Joe

• A Beginning
    • The Beatles Bible
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2008, 04:11:44 PM »

Hey Andy - thanks for that! Much appreciated  :)
http://www.beatlesbible.com - come and say hi, and PM me any suggestions. It's a work in progress but you'll get the idea...

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • &quot;The dude abides.&quot;
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 12:37:59 AM »

Quote from: 551
Isn't there evidence that John continued to use heroin into the 70s? I forget which John book it was in, but John arranged some press meeting-- perhaps John Sinclair, perhaps an album announcement, I honestly don't remember. And the press didn't take pictures or report the story or John's "message", because he was so obviously wasted. Is this just Beatle rumor?

I think Harihead is correct.  I know Goldman deals with John's ongoing cocaine and heroin use in the 70s (and portrays his "house-husband" phase more as a strung-out phase).  Not sure what Fred Seaman or May Pang or others have to say about John and heroin.  

Actually, Spanish Tony Sanchez has a very simple, but compelling explanation for heroin addiction.  He explains that Keith, himself and others, got hooked on heroin to come down from cocaine (the pleasure of oblivion after the pleasure of hyper-awareness).  

John certainly had a junkie look to him in those Annie Leibowitz pictures taken the day he died--although this skeletal skinniness may have been a result of his "macrobiotic diet" or anorexia.  

As Neil Young says:
"Fourteen junkies too weak to work,
one sells diamonds for what they're worth
down on Pain Street disappointment lurks"

Sadly, I'd say, Mr. Lennon took up residence on Pain St.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2008, 08:36:00 AM »

I think one thing people forget is that by all accounts herion is a very very good drug. it produces a sense of euphoria and well being that other narcotics can only dream about. It also apparently no bar to the creative process, as is witnessed not only by the rock albums made under it's influence but also the multitude of very fine jazz albums. When Q did it's drug special it ranked herion as the drug most condusive for making great art.
Of course all drags are bad bad bad BAD.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 08:40:23 AM »

Interesting. But what masterpieces did John Lennon create while being on heroin?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 08:58:40 AM »

Quote from: 63
Interesting. But what masterpieces did John Lennon create while being on heroin?

Two Virgins????
I don't think even herion could undo his Yoko's addiction.
Maybe I should say that while it doesn't guarantee great art it's certainly no hindrance.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008, 09:09:12 AM »

Quote from: 185

Two Virgins????
Maybe I should say that while it doesn't guarantee great art it's certainly no hindrance.

Haha! Neither is coffee.  ;D

Joe

• A Beginning
    • The Beatles Bible
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2008, 09:51:47 AM »

Two Virgins????

That's an interesting idea. In Lennon's case his heroin addiction in 68-69 coincided with probably his least productive period as a Beatle. After his songwriting burst in India he only wrote a handful of further songs for the White Album; he didn't do a lot during Get Back (I've read accounts that suggest he was either cranky or high, and his songs from that time - Dig A Pony, Don't Let Me Down - are far from his best); and for much of Abbey Road he took a back seat, his major contribution being Come Together quite late in the sessions (July 69 - the album came out in September).

Whether or not that's to do with heroin is moot. This is Lennon on Revolution, recorded in June/July 68, probably before he became an addict:

Because they were so upset over the Yoko thing and the fact that I was again become as creative and dominating as I was in the early days, after lying fallow for a couple of years, it upset the applecart. I was awake again and they weren't used to it.

I agree, though, that there have been many great records made on heroin. McCartney himself (in Many Years From Now) says that the drug led to great moment from Lennon. But how many promising careers faltered because of the drug, and how many masterpieces went unmade because addicts simply couldn't be bothered to get it together? We'll never know.

Beatles Memorabilia

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2008, 01:10:56 PM »

Good question

Im not sure myself but arent there heroin references in some of the beatles songs?

"Everybodys got something to hide ..."

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2008, 01:18:58 AM »

Yoko, and stupidity.

I talked a lot about this subject years ago, and remember in a radio interview that Yoko admitted to being "clean" again after a "relapse" into addiction.  Also, in another interview Yoko mentioned that there was no drugs found in John's body when he was killed, in a way that made me think she wasn't talking about "just" pot. I've read a lot of Beatle books and magazines over the years, and listened to a lot of interviews. From all that I have listened to and read, my conclusion is that they never really kicked their Heroin habit. I think they both suffered several relapses in the 70's, with Yoko's use being frequent. Fred Seaman's book talks a lot about this. A lot of people don't like the Seaman book, but what I always say about that book is: He says nothing in it that hadn't been hinted at long before he was around. He just puts everything in one place, and gives it a first person point of view.

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2008, 01:23:06 AM »

I think one thing people forget is that by all accounts herion is a very very good drug. it produces a sense of euphoria and well being that other narcotics can only dream about. It also apparently no bar to the creative process, as is witnessed not only by the rock albums made under it's influence but also the multitude of very fine jazz albums. When Q did it's drug special it ranked herion as the drug most condusive for making great art.
Of course all drags are bad bad bad BAD.

Get yourself hooked on it, and after you get fired from your job, lose your family, and ultimately OD, come back and tell us how good it is.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2008, 07:53:15 PM »

Heroin condusive to making great art? You mean modern art? It`s no art at all. It`s a deceit, fraud.
I agree with jjs: stay away from it.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2008, 11:55:16 PM »

I do not condone drugs in any way shape or form, but I will say alot of great artists were under the influence....
<br />
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 93 queries.