Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: How Many Of The Best-Selling Albums Of All Time Do You Actually Like?  (Read 10230 times)

nimrod

Re: How Many Of The Best-Selling Albums Of All Time Do You Actually Like?
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2014, 10:30:16 AM »

I was very pleased to see this album on there too. It's my favorite non-Beatles album on the list followed by Billy Joel's "The Stranger" and Patsy Cline's Greatest Hits. I was really into Billy Joel as a teenager but he lost me in the 80's. This is really the only album of his that I still listen to. There were actually quite a few albums that could be on a "used to love list', including The Eagles' Greatest Hits, Rumours, Led Zeppelin IV, and Van Halen's first album. I remember my brother coming home on leave from the Navy with that one. He sat me down and played it for me and then gave it to me. He did that a lot with albums. He was a really good guitarist so I tended to trust his opinion. I don't know how impressed he was by their later offerings. I hung in there with them for a while but now...eh. I still like to listen to the opening (Eruption and You Really Got Me) once in a while. Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits was another big favorite of mine and I still love them just as much but I've moved past that album in favor of their other ones and the Paul Simon Songbook. So that's my story...I'd proudly walk into any record store and buy those top 3!

The Simon & Garfunkel one is one of my favourites Kelley, such great melodies, such great songs, classics really

I remember going to see The Graduate when I was about 16, I absolutely loved the soundtrack & still do, such a pure sound

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »

I love Simon & Garfunkel and enjoy that record as far as 'greatest hits' go, but the omission of 'Dangling Conversation' is inexcusable. That is the greatest thing they ever did to my ears and even Garfunkel introduces it in the '67 New York concert as their favourite song they've written. And what is the 'Bookends' fragment doing there at the end? Totally out of place.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2014, 11:13:08 AM »

It seems strange that a 'Best of.....' should be The Doors highest selling album because I can think of no other group where the original LPs are clearly the best way to listen to them.

Admittedly this is from a British perspective, where the various hits in America like 'Unknown Soldier', 'Touch Me', 'People Are Strange' didn't actually chart.

However, all my favourite Doors' songs are the kind that wouldn't be on such a compilation.....'Yes, The River Knows', 'Summer's Almost Gone', 'Wintertime Love', 'My Eyes Have Seen You', 'You're Lost Little Girl', 'Unhappy Girl'.....

I agree with what you said about The Doors, and actually I feel that way about most greatests hits records by bands I like, which is why I didn't vote for any of them.
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

KelMar

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2014, 02:57:49 PM »

I remember going to see The Graduate when I was about 16, I absolutely loved the soundtrack & still do, such a pure sound

Ah...my favorite movie. Well, maybe co-favorite with American Graffiti. Anyway, for some reason one of the TV stations we used to get out of New York City used to show it every election day. I'm not sure why but that's when I first saw it.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2014, 12:57:38 AM »

I like 22 of them, but some groups were damn lucky that they were greatest hits albums.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2014, 05:08:58 AM »

The more beat up the card, the more books were read! probably.

I cracked the lamination the first day I got the card, Dave.  I took out The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.  The second book I took out was The Prince and the Pauper.  Those two books and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, which I took out a year later in third grade, supplied enough ideas for me to stay in constant trouble all through elementary school!
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2014, 05:05:00 AM »

I wouldn't mind seeing that piece of history, Barry!

Well, I checked and it's not laminated and it expired in 1974.  The cracked one must have been confiscated when it expired and a new one issued.  Those cards were good for eight years so that was my second card. 

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2014, 11:09:57 AM »

I owned a third of those albums once upon a time, but gradually went off a number of them and sold them. Some I never liked that much in the first place, but I had to have them to make my record collection respectable - that was back in the old, pretentious days when sometimes actually liking the album was, I'm now ashamed to say, almost a secondary consideration.

Anyway, I only like 9 of the 99 listed. Of those, a couple of "Best Ofs" (Elton / Simon & Garfunkel) have been replaced in my collection by more comprehensive subsequent compilations.

It would be interesting to see what a "world" or "UK" list would include among the best sellers. I'm guessing a lot of the U.S. country music would vanish off a UK version, to be replaced by the likes of Queen, Abba and Bowie perhaps?

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2014, 07:57:15 PM »

I never listened to a complete song sung by Celine Dion.  Her voice gave me a headache.

I can't stand Celine Dion. I particularly detest "My Heart Will Go On."  YUCK.

I didn't see too many on that list that I can genuinely say I like. The Beatles, of course, and some of the Led Zeppelin albums. That's about it.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2014, 10:11:07 PM »

I can't stand Celine Dion. I particularly detest "My Heart Will Go On."  YUCK.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2014, 10:09:22 AM »

I got 39, but I picked even some album that I haven't heard, based on the songs that I'm familiar with from the artist.

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2014, 02:40:48 AM »

I like 41 of the 99.  I suppose my musical tastes are either not as discerning, or they are more eclectic, than others on this board.  Also, I may be kicked off the board for this, but the Shania Twain albums are really solid LPs, imo.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2014, 04:35:14 AM »

I like 41 of the 99.  I suppose my musical tastes are either not as discerning, or they are more eclectic, than others on this board.  Also, I may be kicked off the board for this, but the Shania Twain albums are really solid LPs, imo.

You can starting packing your bags, mate! Nah, s'cool actually, if you got the time and patience to list them, I'd love to see your choices.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2014, 05:18:25 AM »

Also, I may be kicked off the board for this, but the Shania Twain albums are really solid LPs, imo.

No you won't either.  That girl can sing!!

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2014, 08:20:14 AM »

Also, I may be kicked off the board for this, but the Shania Twain albums are really solid LPs, imo.

Well. We should at least call for a vote

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2014, 08:44:57 AM »

The nature of huge selling albums is that the very last word I'd personally use in a description of a list of them is 'eclectic'.
'Bland' yes, 'safe' yes, 'crossing genres' (and that's the real key with stuff like 'Thriller') yes.....'eclectic' no.

nimrod

« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2014, 11:35:36 AM »

Theres nothing wrong with that mate, I was thinking I could probably sit down with a good pair of headphones and enjoy nearly all those great albums, don't get steamrollered by musical snobs telling you what you should like, everything is there for you to make your own mind up whether you like or dislike it, music is not scored, there is no points system, only opinions, stick to your own and don't listen to any music snobs or experts on whats good.

Music is subjective but take Thriller for example, Im not a huge MJ fan but the production that went into that LP was immense, the songwriting is second to none , I mean its not really my style but I can appreciate good songs, Rumours is another monumentally great album, full of great songs and great playing......and I could listen to Dark Side Of The Moon forever, one of the greatest albums ever made. There are so many great albums on that list.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2014, 02:21:11 PM »

Like what you like and don't worry about what others think.  Duke Ellington said "If it sounds good, it is good."
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2014, 03:10:25 AM »

Well. We should at least call for a vote

LOL!  That is just too funny. I love it.  And to everyone else, thanks for all the supportive comments.  At least I know I won't be banned for enjoying Shania Twain's music.

Take care everyone, talk to you later!

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2014, 03:12:32 AM »

You can starting packing your bags, mate! Nah, s'cool actually, if you got the time and patience to list them, I'd love to see your choices.

I'd be happy to list them for you.  I think I'll have the time over this coming weekend. Cheers!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.813 seconds with 81 queries.