Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42

Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 151785 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
The Beach Boys
« on: December 11, 2008, 11:24:14 AM »

The Beach Boys are regularly discussed one the 'various artists' forum, but there wasn't a general Beach Boys thread yet...

So feel free to discuss anything related to this band here...  :)

Let's start with what everyone's favorite Beach Boys song is...?

Ged

• A Beginning
Re: The Beach Boys
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 12:27:07 PM »

God only knows and good vibrations for me.

Ged

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 12:29:03 PM »

Oh, and the relatively more recent 'Kokomo'.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 01:47:04 PM »

Quote from: 1624
Oh, and the relatively more recent 'Kokomo'.

Most Beach Boys fans hate that song with a passion. I like it though.

Some interesting facts about the song: It was written by John Phillips (of The Mamas & The Papas), Scott McKenzie (best known for his hit single "San Francisco"), Terry Melcher (Doris Day's son) and Mike Love (of the Beach Boys). The song has no input whatsoever from Brian Wilson, which was his manager/psychologist Eugene Landy's fault: he told the Beach Boys that Brian would only participate if he (Landy) could co-produce the song and then told Brian that the Beach Boys didn't want him on the song... "Kokomo" was the group's first US #1 hit in 21 years, which is a record: no other artist ever had such a long time span between two #1 hits.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 03:58:31 PM »

"Wouldn't It Be Nice," lately. I like the way the melody shifts in the middle.

"Kokomo" sounds like the sort of thing an eighties Beach Boys tribute band would put out. Glad they got a hit, but it's far from my favorite record.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 05:08:29 PM »

I'll go for Surfin' USA, only because I have a spoof version by 'French, Frith, Kaiser, Thompson', that knocks my socks off!!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 08:42:56 PM »

I really like everything they did.  They are, after all, "An American Band."

:)
I can stay till it's time to go

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 07:41:49 AM »

Quote from: 59
I really like everything they did.

Then you've probably never heard the albums they made after 1979... :)

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 08:05:22 AM »

Break Away and Tears In The Morning. Obviously I like their late 60's sound. Not into the surfing stuff.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 08:37:48 AM »

My top 10:
1. God Only Knows
2. Wouldn't It Be Nice
3. Forever
4. This Whole World
5. Break Away
6. Time To Get Alone
7. Surf's Up
8. Good Vibrations
9. I Get Around
10. Our Prayer

freakchic9

• A Thousand Pages
  • =D
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 04:01:18 AM »

I Get Around. The harmonies are... harmonious. =D

8)
<|\
 |
 ^

Too cool, yah?

dabbik

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 05:25:02 AM »

Let's Go Away For Awhile and Pet Sounds(The song). Both instrumental, sweet.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 06:04:55 PM »

1. God Only Knows
2. Don't Worry Baby
3. Wouldn't It Be Nice
4. Disney Girls (1957)
5. Heroes and Villains
6. I Can Hear Music
7. Good Vibrations
8. I Know There's an Answer
9. California Girls
10. Help Me Rhonda
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 07:59:28 PM »

God Never Knows and Never Learn Not To Love.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 08:14:19 PM »

Quote from: 682
God Never Knows and Never Learn Not To Love.

Ah, the Manson song... I like it, it sounds kind of mysterious and hypnotic... I have Manson's demo recording for the song on a bootleg, it's somewhat messy but I must admit that the guy has a good voice... If he wouldn't have been such a nut job, I think he could've gone somewhere as a musician...

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 08:50:29 PM »

Manson's demo is pretty good.

uW5eco9Fcfw

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 09:10:37 PM »

Look what I`ve found which has something to do with the Beach Boys: It is said that Brian Wilson, the creative genius behind the BB, abandoned the project he was working on after hearing Sgt Pepper for the first time. He didn`t see the point of going on now that the definitive album had been made. The Beatles were greater! (but, please, don`t get offended as you all love the Beatles as well).

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 09:37:20 AM »

Quote from: 1393
Look what I`ve found which has something to do with the Beach Boys: It is said that Brian Wilson, the creative genius behind the BB, abandoned the project he was working on after hearing Sgt Pepper for the first time. He didn`t see the point of going on now that the definitive album had been made. The Beatles were greater! (but, please, don`t get offended as you all love the Beatles as well).

Yeah, that's a very well known myth, but complete nonsense. It's just a story that someone made up and that has been repeated ever since by lazy journalists that haven't done proper research.

Of course I don't have absolute knowledge on the subject, but I've read about 10-15 different Beach Boys/Brian Wilson biographies and had some online conversations with people very close to the Beach Boys camp and everyone who could know seems to agree: yes, Brian did see The Beatles as competition, but in a healthy way. He was mostly a fan and saw it as a challenge to do better than them, but it wasn't an obsession. The Beatles inspired and motivated him, and vice versa. And by all accounts, he's always seen "Rubber Soul" and not "Sgt. Pepper" as The Beatles' most impressive album. There was actually one competitor that he truely felt threatened by: Phil Spector. Brian absolutely worshipped Spector but Spector showed his disdain for Brian's work whenever he got the chance. John Lennon and Paul McCartney however have always been very supportive of Brian.

Brian Wilson shelved the "Smile" project in 1967 and became a reclusive after that (but although it's a popular myth that he didn't leave his bedroom for a couple of years, he kept having a few productive days, weeks or even months every now and then), but that took a lot more than just a Beatles album. Brian Wilson had a very weak mental health for most of his life (he's been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, bipolar type). He had his first nervous breakdown in 1964 and has been hearing evil voices in his head ever since. And he was then already known to act pretty 'weird' sometimes (but he was rich and famous, so people didn't think he was weird, just eccentric). On top of that he had to deal with a very abusive father (who still bullied him as an adult), a very demanding record company (Capitol had gotten used to Brian writing, arranging and producing three new hit albums per year and didn't want him to slow down), a non-cooperative band (reportedly, especially Mike Love didn't approve of Brian's progressive new direction and pressured him to stick to the hit formula to keep the money coming in) and on top of all that, he had started doing too much drugs. So what it came down to: he was a mentally instable guy on drugs with way too much pressure on his shoulders. It was bound to go wrong one way or another.

And during the time he was working on "Smile", Brian didn't really have a reason to acknowledge that the Beatles were 'greater'. He was one of the few American musicians from the pre-Beatles era to survive the British invasion with his carreer unharmed. His last single "Good Vibrations" had just been a huge hit on both sides of the Atlantic.  The Beach Boys had just beaten the Beatles in a British popularity poll. John Lennon and Paul McCartney considered him a genius. Andrew Loog Oldham was so impressed by "Pet Sounds" that he personally paid for an advertisement for the album. Insiders told everyone that the new album was gonna be so good that it would overshadow "Pet Sounds". Capitol Records was so confident about the album that the record sleeves and store displays were printed before the recordings were even halfway done. Even classical composer Leonard Bernstein praised Brian's new music. So there was really no reason for Brian to throw in the towel just because he heard a really good album by someone else.

So yeah, it does sounds like a spectaculair story... Brian Wilson heard "Sgt. Pepper", was so impressed that he freaked out and lost his mental health... But that's a complete myth.

Brian finally managed to finish "Smile" in 2004 (although not with the Beach Boys but with his current touring band). Paul McCartney was in the audience when Brian performed the entire album live in London that year.

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 02:02:02 PM »

sloop john b, anyone?
I think i somebody should do a love style mix-up of i get around and ticket to ride. that would sound great.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 02:46:21 PM »

Quote from: 1588
I think i somebody should do a love style mix-up of i get around and ticket to ride. that would sound great.

Or a mix-up of "Ticket To Ride" and the Beach Boys-song "Girl Don't Tell Me" (the choruses of both songs are almost identical...)  :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 87 queries.