Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 42

Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 151780 times)

roscoe

• A Beginning
Re: The Beach Boys
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2009, 10:11:46 PM »

I am confused by the above but am never the less happy with the two versions of I Get Around that I have-- the inst and the live version. We would all like to have a full dimensional studio stereo vocal version but I guess  that is not to be.

Re: GV-- can you link me to where I can purchase the 40th anniversary CD single.

I am most happy with the stereo version of Don't Worry that I have.

Beach Boys Concert(Cap 72435-25933-2-3) has great stereo versions of GV as well as Cal Girls and Wouldn't It Be Nice( I do not care for the studio version of Wouldn't).

roscoe

• A Beginning
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2009, 10:19:39 PM »

OK I found it at Amazon for $.43.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2009, 04:23:21 AM »

progress joost!!! ;)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2009, 07:28:21 AM »

Quote from: 284
progress joost!!! ;)

I may be stubborn, but I'm not unreasonable. ;)

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2009, 10:36:56 AM »

Been listening to them a lot lately, apart from being a genius a dont think enough can be said for Brian's Vocals he hits those high notes with such ease and it doesnt look forced either.

I was watching a lot of the older live stuff and you can almost hear the guys in the crowd sblack personing when he starts to sing all high pitched for the first time, can it be said he was one the first to sing in falsetto ? way before bee gees etc.....

Ps: favourite BB song is "in my room"

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2009, 07:28:49 AM »

Quote from: 758
can it be said he was one the first to sing in falsetto ?

He definately was not one of the first. Obviously they've been doing it in classical music for centuries. And later on in doo-wop, barbershop en vocal jazz groups. Brian's music may have been revolutionary, but his vocal arrangement surely weren't. Vocally he pretty much just copied The Four Freshmen, and they'd been around since the 40s.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2009, 02:19:49 PM »

a knew frankie valli ahd been doing it, but i should have said in pop music.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2009, 02:29:22 PM »

Quote from: 758
a knew frankie valli ahd been doing it, but i should have said in pop music.

Del Shannon (Runaway) ?????
Gene Pitney  ?????
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2009, 03:11:15 PM »

Tiny Tim? And Frankie Valli was pop, wasn't he?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2009, 03:54:12 PM »

I think doo-wop qualifies as pop, doesn't it?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2009, 04:00:20 PM »

Elvis Presley singing falsetto in 1954:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NkLUh_zMP8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NkLUh_zMP8</a>

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2009, 08:26:46 PM »

no worries a just wasnt too sure, thought i'd check  ;)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2009, 08:51:44 AM »

A great Brian Wilson anecdote:

One day, Don Henley of The Eagles met Brian Wilson and asked him to sign an LP for him. Brian took the album and wrote on it, "To a great musician". Then he looked Henley right in the eyes, crossed out the word "great" and wrote "good" above it before returning it. Henley was, obviously, baffled. :)

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2009, 03:16:59 AM »

1.  You Still Believe in Me
2.God Only Knows
3. Please Let Me Wonder
4.Surf's Up
5.Surfer Girl
6. Don't Worry Baby
7. Forever
8.Wonderful
9.Fun Fun Fun
10.I Know There's an answer
11.Don't Talk
12. 'Till I Die

In general order I'd say but there are so many of them xD.  I'm a fan of their surfing stuff, those falsetto harmonies always send chils down my spine.

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2009, 05:19:58 PM »

Elvis Presley singing falsetto in 1954:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NkLUh_zMP8

Love this video!  ;D

Gotta love Elvis!

"Ringo will always be my friend"--George Harrison (Rolling Stone Magazine 1987)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2009, 06:38:35 PM »

Love this video!  ;D

Gotta love Elvis!

I love this song... I was a huge Elvis fan as a kid (well, that's a bit of an understatement - I was so obsessed with his music that my mom actually started to worry about it) and I often played his tapes under the sheets when I was supposed to be asleep. His version of 'Blue Moon' has a very dark and eerie sound to it and I can tell you that when you're 10 years old, alone in your room and listening to this song in total darkness, it can scare the crap out of you...  ;D

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2009, 07:15:19 PM »

You're right, Joost, it is very haunting... would be great in a stalker film!
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2009, 08:16:23 PM »

I love this song... I was a huge Elvis fan as a kid (well, that's a bit of an understatement - I was so obsessed with his music that my mom actually started to worry about it) and I often played his tapes under the sheets when I was supposed to be asleep. His version of 'Blue Moon' has a very dark and eerie sound to it and I can tell you that when you're 10 years old, alone in your room and listening to this song in total darkness, it can scare the crap out of you...  ;D

WOW! That sounds pretty much how i was a few years back too! I was so obsessed with Elvis! I got all of his CD's from the library, books, I bought little trinkets were ever I saw them. I idolized him! I still think he is amazing! But not to the extent where I would sit around and watch his movies all day long!  ha2ha  My mom got worried about me as well! So I get your story!  ;)

"Ringo will always be my friend"--George Harrison (Rolling Stone Magazine 1987)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2009, 12:51:06 PM »

An update on the Beach Boys, in case anyone's interested...

Brian recently signed a two album deal with Walt Disney Records, for an album of George & Ira Gershwin compositions (including two previously unreleased ones given to him by the Gershwin estate) and an album of Disney classics. The Gershwin album is currently being recorded. It's a well-know fact that if Brian's not really into doing something, he'll do it but badly and he'll be a pain in the ass. If he is into something, he's still one of the fastest working and most inspiring people in the business. Word is that so far, the sessions are a breeze. The Disney album should be good too cause Brian seems to really like that stuff. After all, 'Surfer Girl' was based on 'When You Wish Upon A Star'.

Al Jardine's first solo album 'Postcard From California' is starting to become a 'Chinese Democracy' type of thing. Tracklist, cover art and song samples were already posted on his website (www.aljardine.com) a few years ago, but release details are still "coming soon". Should be interesting though. Al's the only Beach Boy who's voice still sounds exactly like it used to, and the album has a lot of really cool guests: 3/4 of CSNY (C, N and Y, to be exact), 2/3 of America (the band, not the continents), Steve Miller, Flea and... Brian Wilson and Mike Love!

The Beach Boys' 50th anniversary is coming up in 2011 and especially Mike seems to be very eager to make the anniversary something special. For the first time in many years there are currently no lawsuits between band members going on and everyone seems to be on speaking therms, so the time seems to be right for the three surviving original Beach Boys (plus David Marks and Bruce Johnston) to share a stage again for the first time since 1997. Only Brian could be a problem, his management (a.k.a. his wife) is a bit over-protective of him and since Mike and Brian have a pretty complex love/hate relationship she seems a bit reluctant to let them work together.

And the long-awaited Smile sessions box set (originally sceduled for 1997)... It's anyone's guess when/if that'll ever come out...

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2010, 04:26:20 AM »

And during the time he was working on "Smile", Brian didn't really have a reason to acknowledge that the Beatles were 'greater'. He was one of the few American musicians from the pre-Beatles era to survive the British invasion with his carreer unharmed. His last single "Good Vibrations" had just been a huge hit on both sides of the Atlantic.  The Beach Boys had just beaten the Beatles in a British popularity poll. John Lennon and Paul McCartney considered him a genius.

The American Invasion:

The Beach Boys - Live on Ready Steady Go! 1964
I can stay till it's time to go
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 42

Page created in 0.645 seconds with 83 queries.