Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - Sexy Sadie  (Read 7326 times)

nimrod

Song Of The Week - Sexy Sadie
« on: July 28, 2013, 01:42:34 AM »

Sexy Sadie what have you done
You made a fool of everyone
You made a fool of everyone
Sexy Sadie ooh what have you done.

Sexy Sadie you broke the rules
You laid it down for all to see
You laid it down for all to see
Sexy Sadie oooh you broke the rules.

One sunny day the world was waiting for a lover
She came along to turn on everyone
Sexy Sadie the greatest of them all.

Sexy Sadie how did you know
The world was waiting just for you
The world was waiting just for you
Sexy Sadie oooh how did you know.

Sexy Sadie you'll get yours yet
However big you think you are
Sexy Sadie oooh you'll get yours yet.

We gave her everything we owned just to sit at her table
Just a smile would lighten everything
Sexy Sadie she's the latest and the greatest of them all.

She made a fool of everyone
Sexy Sadie.

Sexy Sadie.

beatles - sexy sadie

Lennon originally wanted to title the song "Maharishi", but changed the title to "Sexy Sadie" at George Harrison's request.
Lennon was disillusioned after Maharishi Mahesh Yogi had allegedly made a sexual advance at one of the female members attending the course the Maharishi was teaching at his ashram.
Lennon once said of the song: "That was inspired by Maharishi. I wrote it when we had our bags packed and were leaving. It was the last piece I wrote before I left India. I just called him, 'Sexy Sadie,' instead of (sings) 'Maharishi what have you done, you made a fool...' I was just using the situation to write a song, rather calculatingly but also to express what I felt. I was leaving the Maharishi with a bad taste. You know, it seems that my partings are always not as nice as I'd like them to be." He told Rolling Stone that when the Maharishi asked why he was leaving, he replied, "Well, if you're so cosmic, you'll know why."
After returning from India, Lennon scratched the lyrics into a piece of wood, with the original title "Maharishi". The recorded version changed only after Harrison insisted that if the song were used he wanted the name changed and persuaded Lennon to change the title to "Sexy Sadie". Harrison recounts the event in the director's cut of the Anthology film. Derek Taylor remembered Lennon's fiddling about scratching the wood in the Apple offices. The wood ended up in the possession of Maureen Starkey and was ultimately sold to a Beatles collector.

Personnel

John Lennon – lead and harmony vocals, rhythm guitar, Hammond organ
George Harrison – lead guitar, backing vocals
Paul McCartney – leslie piano, bass guitar, backing vocals
Ringo Starr – drums, tambourine

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Song Of The Week - Sexy Sadie
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 07:54:40 AM »

I like this song a lot. I think its funny because my son hates it and we were just talking about it the other day. Anyways, I think its a great tune.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 11:38:22 AM »

Yes, a good one. Intelligible lyrics and fine instrumentation. I especially like the lead guitar part.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

nimrod

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »

Yes its a great song, well crafted the different parts seem to fit really well, Paul plays a nice Leslie piano part and a nice lazy decadent guitar part from George.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 01:09:58 PM »

Yes, a good one. Intelligible lyrics and fine instrumentation. I especially like the lead guitar part.

:)
I agree! I also like the instrumental fadeout when you can also hear Johns electric rhythm guitar come grinding in for a few bars.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

nimrod

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 10:55:26 PM »

This is a stage in their career where John & Paul could just churn out a great song at the drop of a hat, they were on top of their game so to speak, this is a wonderful song and one of the things I like is how John plays around with words (again)

"Sexy Sadie what have you done
You made a fool of everyone"

Here he is having a sort go at Sadie and its like a face to face discussion with her.....then..

"One sunny day the world was waiting for a lover
She came along to turn on everyone"

Suddenly he's talking about her like she's not there using the word 'she'
this repeats again later

"Sexy Sadie how did you know
The world was waiting just for you"

then..

"We gave her everything we owned just to sit at her table"

It wouldnt occur to most songwriters to use these little ploys.

These kind of songs where all 4 of them make a significant contribution are my favourites, they just seemed to play exactly the right parts needed for the song, I cant imagine any band or artist recording this differently and giving it something it still needs, its just perfect

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 03:25:28 PM »

This is one of my favorites too. I can never elaborate on specifically why I like songs, like the rest of you can, because I lack the specific musical knowledge most of you have, but I do sincerely love it. The vocals are (IMO) so beautiful!

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 09:36:58 PM »

...also some of the off sung background vocals remind me of the "frarajacqua"(?) style on Paperback Writer.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 03:00:12 AM »

When I first heard this song in 1968, I had no idea what it was about.  John was bashing someone, but I didn't know who.  When I later read about what happened in Rishikesh, I realized that Sexie Sadie was the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

Maybe I was more enlightened than The Beatles at the time as I figured out what he was all about when I saw him interviewed by Johnny Carson.  Johnny Carson had him figured out too...

;D

I love this song!!
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 03:38:18 AM »

...also some of the off sung background vocals remind me of the "frarajacqua"(?) style on Paperback Writer.

This song really let me what I had been missing before I got good headphones. I had never really noticed the background vocals before!

I can never elaborate on specifically why I like songs, like the rest of you can, because I lack the specific musical knowledge most of you have,

Wow, Kathy, it's like you read my mind when you wrote that! I feel that way all the time. I notice neat things and would like to discuss them here but I don't even know how to describe them. If this was face to face I'd just sing it (and you'd all plug your ears and beg me not to do that again) but as it is I'm mostly at a loss.

Johnny Carson had him figured out too...

The only thing funnier than that picture would be hearing the audio! He would have done such a great job interviewing Paul and John instead of Joe Garagiola. I miss Johnny.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 03:43:00 AM by In My Life »

InstantKarma

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 03:40:50 PM »

I wonder why Mark David Chapman listened to this song over and over again before he shot John

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 08:35:15 AM »

It’s one of those weird things the Beatles do that they  take a song about the Maharishi and it ends up being called Sexy Sadie. That minor change takes a song from being a period piece to one that can apply for generations to come. It’s a really nice tune too. Always liked it.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 12:52:55 PM »

I wonder why Mark David Chapman listened to this song over and over again before he shot John

I wonder what the source is for that statement. I suppose it's too late to ask.

I've always liked this song, too. Love the dreamy vibe, a bit like Strawberry Fields Forever.

Substituting "Sexy Sadie" for "Maharishi" makes it more alluring (and likely saved them a libel suit) and does indeed broaden its appeal beyond the moment.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 01:15:21 PM by Normandie »

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 01:55:09 PM »

It’s one of those weird things the Beatles do that they  take a song about the Maharishi and it ends up being called Sexy Sadie. That minor change takes a song from being a period piece to one that can apply for generations to come. It’s a really nice tune too. Always liked it.
I agree, fabulous song.
Always loved it.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2023, 06:10:10 AM »

Nice job here on the Bass part..

Baz get that Hofner out  ;D (although I suspect that Paul used his 1964 4001S Rickenbacker Bass)

https://youtu.be/ame3z-Tgz3c

This made me laugh Moog.
Paul was filled in about these events after they returned. In the book “Many Years From Now,” he relates: “What happened amazed me. They all came storming back from India and they came round to Cavendish Avenue...It was a big scandal. Maharishi had tried to get off with one of the chicks. I said, 'Tell me what happened?' John said, 'Remember that blonde American girl with the short hair? Like a Mia Farrow look-alike. She was called Pat or something.' I said, 'Yeah.' He said, 'Well, Maharishi made a pass at her.' So I said, 'Yes? What's wrong with that?' He said, 'Well, you know, he's just a bloody old letch just like everybody else. What the f*ck, we can't go following that!'”
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 06:25:26 AM by nimrod »
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2023, 06:58:38 AM »

Nice job here on the Bass part..

Baz get that Hofner out  ;D (although I suspect that Paul used his 1964 4001S Rickenbacker Bass)

Yes, Kev, most likely it was his 1964 Rickenbacker 4001 S.
I can stay till it's time to go

Page created in 1.004 seconds with 73 queries.