Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Pete Best  (Read 75349 times)

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Pete Best
« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2008, 03:53:59 AM »

tell him i'm a big big fan of his and think he needs to make some vintage posters of himself for his brother roag to sell....

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #181 on: September 21, 2008, 05:05:35 AM »

Oh.......................you are SO BAD Marshall...............I'm still "in the works" on trying to attend...........

62redux

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #182 on: September 21, 2008, 05:09:34 PM »

Hey folks:

Sharing some insights from the first few shows of the '08 Fall tour for The Pete Best Band.

#1) the new album is actually very good, beyond expectations.  Very pretty meolodies, great harmonies, emotional/colorful lyrics. The fact that it's biographical/autobiographical adds more to the whole package. Some venues  are using the CD cover art in some promo handbills/posters alongside Antholgy 1 cover art, to show where the pic comes from.  Quite cool actually.

#2) Several of the tracks are in the rotation now at beatlesradio.com.  they'll play it also if you email in.

#3) Seeing the songs performed live is a real treat, as each guitarist (Phil, Paul, Tony) sings lead for each of the 3 tracks respectively, round and round, Step Outside, Broken.  The harrmonies are top shelf throughout.

In all honesty, there's not a bad or boring track on the CD.  

If you're in the states..the band is now heading toward midwest for the next few weeks after wrapping up the east coast in Hamilton Ontario last night.  Phil Bimpson from Liverpool UK was in the house last week at the Liverpool NY show. Fun time all around,,really was.  

The CD sounds great..turn it up to 11. Step Outside is the first singlel a real pleasure to watch it unfold live, as each bandmember is completely engrossed in the song behind Paul's lead vocal. Watching Pete and Roag at the same time is a treat..so if yo go see them live o nthis tour, make it a point to check out how the Best brothers are driving the rhythm section.

I've not seen any bonafide "reviews" from newspapers or other media outlets, so perhaps the "fan" reviews will show up shortly on amazon.com etc etc.  

From 1st track to last, it's really an enjoyable CD. I played it in background at a business function for 80 last week. People thoguth they knew the music..sounded a bit familiar but just couldnt place it, but everyone liekd it and asked where to buy it.  That was cool to hear...

So..thanks for letting me post up again and share some thoughts with ya.

P.S. By the way, while I enjoy this forum a lot when I get in here,  I especially enjoy reading Bill Harry's posts and comments.   I'd love to hear what the buzz / comments are from Liverpool about the upcoming UK release of Haymans Green.  

Thanks. I'll be around.  

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #183 on: September 21, 2008, 06:35:54 PM »

^^^^^^^^Thanks for the info 62re...........I'll keep this all in mind.............

BlueMeanie

« Reply #184 on: September 23, 2008, 01:37:48 PM »

This little rumour seems to be doing the rounds at the moment.

We only have tapes of The Beatles playing at the Casbah. We've listened to them once in forty years.

http://www.petebest.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2953

Bobber

« Reply #185 on: September 23, 2008, 01:50:41 PM »

^What is this rumour worth? Depends on who the administrator of that forum is.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #186 on: September 23, 2008, 01:52:03 PM »

Yep. I think the assumption is that it's someone named Best. I going to see if I can resurrect the thread.

62redux

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #187 on: September 24, 2008, 06:59:48 PM »

Quote from: 483
Yep. I think the assumption is that it's someone named Best. I going to see if I can resurrect the thread.

It's credible.

This may help you with some context, as I'm pretty active on the PB forum the past 4+ years: About a week ago, a new visitor to the petebest forum (username escapes me at the moment) asked for verification/info of very early tapes that were online somewhere, but the poster forgot to include the links.  

A follow up posting asked for the missing links, then the site administrator (Roag) posted the comment referencing the Casbah.   I can try to find out a little bit more if you'd like. Drop me a line or post up etc.  I was as surpised as anyone, but i forgot to ask them abut it when i saw everyone last week in liverpool NY.

..if you're in USA in September/October, just ask them directly over a beer after the show.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #188 on: September 25, 2008, 12:35:25 AM »

sQGaB6scAnA
SyGPd0RfOg4

65QhadqCNDk

BlueMeanie

« Reply #189 on: September 25, 2008, 12:53:13 AM »

Quote from: 902

It's credible.

This may help you with some context, as I'm pretty active on the PB forum the past 4+ years: About a week ago, a new visitor to the petebest forum (username escapes me at the moment) asked for verification/info of very early tapes that were online somewhere, but the poster forgot to include the links.  

A follow up posting asked for the missing links, then the site administrator (Roag) posted the comment referencing the Casbah.   I can try to find out a little bit more if you'd like. Drop me a line or post up etc.  I was as surpised as anyone, but i forgot to ask them abut it when i saw everyone last week in liverpool NY.

..if you're in USA in September/October, just ask them directly over a beer after the show.

I would post, but I'm still awaiting verification from the mods. Any help on that one would be appreciated. I guess if it's Roag, I have a long wait!

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #190 on: September 30, 2008, 04:01:38 AM »

Nope.........I won't be going to the show.  "Witches" meeting at Beef'O Brady's for the Haunted Hayride my church has every year.  I'm the "head WITCH" and I have alot to do.........and I will post photos of the "rituals".....

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #191 on: January 05, 2009, 04:32:48 AM »

i guess we'll never hear it......

Bobber

« Reply #192 on: January 05, 2009, 08:23:02 AM »

Quote from: 284
i guess we'll never hear it......

Is Liz still busy out there? She might know something.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #193 on: January 05, 2009, 02:50:27 PM »

liz has distanced herself from everything...i guess pete was a passing fancy...

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #194 on: February 04, 2009, 02:50:38 PM »

Not sure if this is new or not....

[size=18]Pete Best finally speaks out over bitter sacking from The Beatles[/size]
by Pierce King. Published Wed 04 Feb 2009 14:12 / Click Liverpool

The original 'fifth Beatle' Pete Best has spoken out about his bitter heartbreak at being dropped by The Fab Four just before they hit the big time ahead of his new album.

Pete, 67, is a world-famous music legend, not for what he managed to achieve - but for what he missed out on for the sake of a few weeks.

He was the drummer famously sacked by The Beatles in 1962, in the month before they shot into the stratosphere. He was left on the launch pad, sticks in hand.

It's rock history now, but suddenly the Pete versus Ringo debate is firing again after Sir Paul McCartney popped up on a US radio show last week to offer his version of the event.

Macca said: "Ringo was in another band, and we just fell in love with his drumming, that's the truth.

"One night he sat in for Pete, and we just went... wow!"

Pete recalled the thousands of nights spent agonising over why he was suddenly dropped without explanation and against a huge backlash from their Liverpool home-grown fans at the Cavern.

He said: "Maybe somebody just thought Ringo sounded better than Pete, maybe it was as simple as that.

"What really hurt then, and still hurts now, is that no one had the courage or the decency to tell me what they were plotting.

"It would have been nice if just once, in these last 47 years, Sir Paul had picked up a phone to make that call and explain it as that, just as one old mate to another."

It could be argued that on the other hand, he could have picked up his own phone and called Sir Paul.

"No way," he says. "We have never spoken a word since that day, and what would we talk about now? He's a superstar, a world icon, he doesn't lead the everyday life that ordinary people do, so what would we have in common?

"I have no regrets. You can lead a rich life without millions in the bank and mansions in the country."

Pete has finally put down on the record his own feelings about the split, and the dream abruptly snatched away from him, in a song on his new CD by the Pete Best Band.

It's a track called Broken. A bitter-sounding lament about betrayal, deceit and tears behind closed doors while you put on a macho face to the world.

The album is being launched this month in the Casbah Club, the Liverpool coffee bar opened by Pete's mum Mona with her winnings from the 1954 Derby.

People think that The Beatles story started at The Cavern, but it didn't. The real beginning was in this cramped basement where the city's fledgling beat groups used to play to 200 fans inside while 1,000 more crowded into the back garden.

The Beatles tour buses don't stop here. Only diehard fans visit by appointment, to be shown around by Pete's brothers Roag and Rory.

They see the original Dansette record player propped on a stool, the upright piano the bands thumped away at, the ceilings painted by Lennon and McCartney, and there, chiselled into one wall, a single name... John.

It's where Pete still practises, amid the memories. Hayman's Green, his album's title, is the address of the street outside.

Pete is a grandfather of four now, but he's still recognisable as that moodily handsome, leather-jacketed kid who attracted his own following of adoring groupies back then.

It has also been argued that he was just too handsome and deemed a threat to Paul and John.

Pete joined another band and struggled for two more years, but with a young family to support he abandoned showbiz for regular wages. First in a bakery. Then working in a local Job Centre for 20 years.

Standing by him all the way was Cathy, the girl he had spotted from behind his drumkit as she danced in The Cavern, the girl who married him a year after The Beatles sacked him, the girl who gave him his two daughters.

"We were living in a two-up two-down by the end of the 1960s after The Beatles had conquered the world, but none of that ever mattered to Cathy," he says.

"Let's face it, if she was ever going to leave me, it would have been the day I became an ex-Beatle, but she chose to stay.

"I fell in love with her from the start and I still love her as deeply today. I idolise her.

I only wish I could be given another 45 years to spend on this planet with the same girl."

But it wasn't always easy. Pete suffered depression and even made a bungled suicide attempt - turning on the gas fire and blocking the doors before he was rescued by his brothers.

"There have been times when we were struggling to pay the bills, when we were deep in the red and had to borrow from relatives," he adds.

"Then news about a Beatle would pop up on TV and Cathy would say, 'Look, if only you were still one of them.' Then we'd laugh it off. You can live in a terraced house with a loving wife like Cathy and you're in a palace with your princess."

It was Cathy and mum Mona who convinced him to pick up his music career once more.

He played at a Beatles convention in 1988 to a rave reception, and when he came off stage they said: "You're heading back into showbiz."

Now the Pete Best Band tour the world, for up to six months a year. As much as old rockers can manage, he jokes.

So what does he think now of the band that left him behind? Ringo, he says, turned out to be a first-class drummer. But he was astonished at his outburst last autumn, when his replacement threw a hissy-fit online, telling fans he wouldn't be signing autographs any more.

Pete goes out of his way to meet his audiences after shows.

John Lennon? A genius just beginning to come to terms with his role as a world leader, when he paid the ultimate price of success.

George Harrison? He came to the end of his life doing what he wanted to do, still the private secluded person he had always been.

And Sir Paul? "He's an exceptional talent, he has proved that so often, but alongside his creativity he has always been good at public relations. The image is important. You have to think, he always gets someone to do his dirty work for him."

It was The Beatles' manager and mentor Brian Epstein who wielded the knife, that day in 1962 when Pete was cut loose. He was nervous, stammering the words: "The boys want you out and Ringo in..." he said.

Years later John, once Pete's best friend, would confess they had been cowardly.

"I believe that only three people knew the real reason why I was sacked," Pete says.

"And only one of them is left alive now to tell the story."

http://www.clickliverpool.com/news/national-news/122714-pete-best-finally-speaks-out-over-bitter-sacking-from-the-beatles.html

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #195 on: February 04, 2009, 02:58:51 PM »

it started b4 pete arrived on the scene tho...even he has to know that...i use to think he took it in good graces and gave him kudos for that but he did and does dwell on it....i feel bad that he lets that holfd him back...

Bobber

« Reply #196 on: February 04, 2009, 03:01:21 PM »

The news is that Paul said a single line about the case.

62redux

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #197 on: March 23, 2009, 04:21:41 PM »

fyi: Aug 29, 2009 is 50th anniversary of the Casbah Coffee Club. Interesting lineup on "tour information" link of petebest.com.  600 tix for daytime event, only 200 tix for evening event inside CCC.

Looking forward to my first ever trip to UK.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #198 on: April 06, 2009, 06:57:58 PM »

Quote from: 342
pc31,
Pete Best may not have been the best fit for the Beatles (for whatever reason) no one will ever know for sure? Mr. Starkey did turn out to be the best fit but he certainly wasn't the first choice as Pete's replacement. The Drummer the Beatles initially wanted was Johnny Hutchinson from the Big Three as he was regarded by most as the best drummer in Liverpool at the time. Johnny Hutch had a great singing voice, he filled in as the Beatles drummer for the Larry Parnes audition and numerous shows. He was asked by Epstein to join the band but declined as he believed he was already in the best band in Liverpool. Many people believe that Pete was sacked and quickly replaced by Ringo because of his superior drumming ability, which is not the case.

I also read it could have been Johnny Hutch. But he turned down the offer. Unfortunately for him.
However, some contemporaries said that Pete wasn`t a very good drummer as he played only one rhythm and was not very good at using both hands. What was good about Pete`s play was his aggessiveness, which he was one of the first drummers to apply to his manner of playing.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #199 on: April 13, 2009, 12:19:23 AM »

pete was in a movie called the rocker........check it out...
<a href="http://dvd.ign.com/dor/objects/14308430/the-rocker-born-to-rock-edition/videos/rockr_petebest_pathetic_0126.html" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://dvd.ign.com/dor/objects/14308430/the-rocker-born-to-rock-edition/videos/rockr_petebest_pathetic_0126.html</a>
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Page created in 0.709 seconds with 79 queries.