Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Where Were You?  (Read 82479 times)

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
Re: Where Were You?
« Reply #220 on: March 31, 2011, 05:03:18 AM »

i need you

"I Need You By George Harrison"    ;D :P " 2ch"
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #221 on: March 31, 2011, 06:38:56 PM »

"I Need You By George Harrison"    ;D :P " 2ch"
don't know what you are trying to say there Gary910... i'm just saying that the beatles were one big cohesive inseperable whole for me, John Lennon and Macca were the major songwriters and sang most of the songs, Ringo Starr played drums, George Harrison sang some songs and back up vocals and played lead as opposed to rhythm guitar.. standard beatles mythology. i had no idea this group even needed, wanted, nor desired any leaders, their music was without exception *extremely* listenable, accessible and fun to listen to. even by this time i was well aware of the crap imitators, as most hard rock bands were more or less one hit wonders that probably had some music talent, though i admit i liked bands like quicksilver, led zeppelin and black sabbath. for the most part i could do without the rest, that is, mainstream pop. that's why i like soul music and R and B, it isn't or wasn't dragged down in mindless hypocrisy and sappy lyrical treatment..

hope that makes sense.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 01:11:55 AM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #222 on: April 04, 2011, 03:01:06 AM »

I was making a joke. It is a reference to the ending credits of the film "Help!". During the credits when the song credits come on, George's voice comes on and says, "I Need You by George Harrison".
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

LennMcHarriStarr64

• One And One Is Two
  • Love Beatles
    • The Beatles
« Reply #223 on: August 12, 2013, 03:54:16 AM »

I was John in my last life, and was reborn into this body a few years later.  I have no memory of the incident, but the same intentions, and I will continue what I came into this world to do.  ;yes
My YouTube Channel ~ Full Albums in High Quality!
http://www.youtube.com/user/LennMcHarriStarr64/

Strawberry Field

• A Beginning
  • Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
« Reply #224 on: September 04, 2013, 11:33:37 PM »

I was a year and five months old. I had no idea of anything. It didn't really hit me HARD, real hard, until I became a big time Beatles fan 19 years later.

I can only imagine what I'd be feeling, what state I would be in if I was a teenager or adult in 1980. I can only imagine that the pain I feel now about the loss of John would be too enormous to bare. I can imagine my heart breaking every time I heard one of his songs on the radio. It's easy if you try.

KEROUAC

• A Beginning
« Reply #225 on: December 08, 2014, 06:43:17 PM »

As it's the 34th anniversary I thought I'd post something.

I remember coming home from school as a fifteen year old for lunch and hearing the news on the afternoon radio here in the UK. I remember my mum saying she thought it was probably carried out by gangsters.

I didn't know much about John Lennon or The Beatles at the time. I remember Beatles and Lennon music being constantly played on the radio and tv till well past Christmas it had a major impact on me. It was on the covers of most magazines in the newsagents. I felt the shock waves even though as i said I didn't really know much about John Lennon. That's how I became a massive fan ironically.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #226 on: December 09, 2014, 07:40:36 AM »

The strange thing is that, in the U.K. at least, the news and reaction was absolutely unavoidable in a way it wouldn't be now.

Every radio station had a news bulletin, daily newspapers sold in millions not thousands, and there were only three TV channels.

John's material got re-released and so his songs were everywhere, omnipresent in the chart (now no-one listens to it), in record shops (they no longer exist) and on 'Top Of the Pops' (now it too doesn't exist) for about six months afterwards.

Cue to 2014 and, if you wanted to avoid a celebrity's death, you could do so with ease.
I completely, after hearing about it at a bus-stop in Penzance, avoided all the Michael Jackson stuff.
It would have been impossible in 1980.

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #227 on: December 10, 2014, 09:11:10 AM »

The strange thing is that, in the U.K. at least, the news and reaction was absolutely unavoidable in a way it wouldn't be now.

Every radio station had a news bulletin, daily newspapers sold in millions not thousands, and there were only three TV channels.

John's material got re-released and so his songs were everywhere, omnipresent in the chart (now no-one listens to it), in record shops (they no longer exist) and on 'Top Of the Pops' (now it too doesn't exist) for about six months afterwards.

Cue to 2014 and, if you wanted to avoid a celebrity's death, you could do so with ease.
I completely, after hearing about it at a bus-stop in Penzance, avoided all the Michael Jackson stuff.
It would have been impossible in 1980.
The grim-ful truth, oldbrownshoe.

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Bobber

« Reply #228 on: December 10, 2014, 03:52:09 PM »

As it's the 34th anniversary I thought I'd post something.

I remember coming home from school as a fifteen year old for lunch and hearing the news on the afternoon radio here in the UK. I remember my mum saying she thought it was probably carried out by gangsters.

I didn't know much about John Lennon or The Beatles at the time. I remember Beatles and Lennon music being constantly played on the radio and tv till well past Christmas it had a major impact on me. It was on the covers of most magazines in the newsagents. I felt the shock waves even though as i said I didn't really know much about John Lennon. That's how I became a massive fan ironically.

That is exactly my story! Including the age! I remember how Starting Over -till that moment not doing very much in the charts- suddenly skyrocketed to #1, followed by Happy Xmas. It was a strange mixed emotion. I was just getting into The Beatles and their music was play a lot on the radio. I taped it all and I loved it. The reason why it was played however was pure horror.

KEROUAC

• A Beginning
« Reply #229 on: December 12, 2014, 11:24:10 AM »

Wow that's strange Bobber. Were you in the UK too? The irony was that I was an ELO fan and hadn't really taken notice of The Beatles (even though the previous Christmas they had a Beatles film season on UK TV). Just hearing those songs 24/7 though turned me into an obsessive fan and I started collecting press cuttings around that time. I put Beatles records on my Christmas list and remember getting Rock n Roll Music Vol 2 and Double Fantasy on Christmas Day. I also seem to remember the film "Birth of The Beatles" being on Boxing Day.

Bobber

« Reply #230 on: December 12, 2014, 11:45:04 AM »

No, I was and am in The Netherlands.

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #231 on: April 01, 2019, 11:30:16 PM »

Was at home. Getting ready for school. It came on the radio. My mother shouted upstairs to my father 'John Lennon has been shot dead'.

I was 11 & had never heard of John Lennon. A few people spoke about it at school. In the evening 'Help', the film was on television & he was all over the news.

Started listening to The Beatles a couple of years later.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 62 queries.