Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beatles Photo Books  (Read 2712 times)

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
Beatles Photo Books
« on: January 04, 2009, 09:44:28 PM »

I have been thinking about buying some Beatles books with great photos to add to my library.  Does anyone have any reviews for the following below?

Once there was a way...Photographs of the Beatles by Harry Benson
http://www.amazon.com/Once-there-was-way-Photographs-Beatles/dp/0810946432/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231105240&sr=1-1

The Beatles: One Night Stand in the Heartland by Bill Carlson
http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-One-Night-Stand-Heartland/dp/1581825900/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231104870&sr=8-1

The Beatles: 365 Days by Simon Wells
http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-365-Days-Simon-Wells/dp/0810959119/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231105173&sr=1-1

I also already own The Beatles Unseen Archives from the Daily Mail, The Beatles Album by Julia Delano, and The Beatles: A Private View by Robert Freeman.  (All of which are currently out of print, I believe.)

You can recommend any personal favorite photo books of yours too.  Thanks! :)

beatlemaniac

• A Beginning
Re: Beatles Photo Books
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 11:33:41 PM »

I haven't read any of those...but I would highly recommend Mike McCartney (McGear)'s books...he is Paul brother and also an amazing photographer. His pictures are a look at the Beatles that is totally natural because many of the pics are unposed or from before they were famous. I don't think his books are in print anymore but you can still order them online from individual sellers who have copies.

Also, "The Beatles in Rishikesh" by Paul Saltzman is mostly the story of the Beatles in India but Paul's photos are genuine and beautiful...also not posed, and everything from the boys relaxing to playing guitar, etc.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 12:18:41 AM »

Here are my Beatle photo books.

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 01:28:42 AM »

I have "Images of The Beatles"  I really like it :)

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

freakchic9

• A Thousand Pages
  • =D
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 02:08:43 AM »

There's this book, "The Beatles: The Illustrated Biography", I have. Shome of the pictures are out of order and some info is wrong, but I like the pictures!

8)
<|\
 |
 ^

Too cool, yah?

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 08:16:44 AM »

Quote from: 1620
I have been thinking about buying some Beatles books with great photos to add to my library.  Does anyone have any reviews for the following below?

Once there was a way...Photographs of the Beatles by Harry Benson
http://www.amazon.com/Once-there-was-way-Photographs-Beatles/dp/0810946432/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231105240&sr=1-1

The Beatles: One Night Stand in the Heartland by Bill Carlson
http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-One-Night-Stand-Heartland/dp/1581825900/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231104870&sr=8-1

The Beatles: 365 Days by Simon Wells
http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-365-Days-Simon-Wells/dp/0810959119/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231105173&sr=1-1

I also already own The Beatles Unseen Archives from the Daily Mail, The Beatles Album by Julia Delano, and The Beatles: A Private View by Robert Freeman.  (All of which are currently out of print, I believe.)

You can recommend any personal favorite photo books of yours too.  Thanks! :)

I got the Heartland book. It's nice, but may be of more interest of people of that region than a random fan. There's several 'Unseen Archives' books and they are usually a nice collection of not so unseen pictures or slightly different from the pics you know. These collections start at around 1963 or 1964 as The Beatles became national and international stars by then. But they give you a nice view overall, unlike the Heartland book which focuses on a detail.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 03:19:14 AM »

Quote from: 1801
Also, "The Beatles in Rishikesh" by Paul Saltzman is mostly the story of the Beatles in India but Paul's photos are genuine and beautiful...also not posed, and everything from the boys relaxing to playing guitar, etc.

That book does sound interesting.  I have seen some photos of the boys in India and they do look so natural.  It's refreshing.  I think a similar sort of book is out right now; I believe it's called The Beatles in India.  The main problem with it, however, is that it's prohibitively expensive (think hundreds of dollars).

Quote from: 63
I got the Heartland book. It's nice, but may be of more interest of people of that region than a random fan.

I managed to flip through this book at a nearby bookstore recently.  In a sense, I think you're right, since it specializes in the Beatles' brief visit to Minnesota in the mid-Sixties.  However, it does have some very beautiful and luminous photos of the boys, candid shots of young fans, and their memories of Beatlemania.  It's rather charming, I think.  With these elements, I guess you could call it both a regional book and a look back into musical history.

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 55 queries.