Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Wall  (Read 5297 times)

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
Re: The Wall
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2004, 12:15:07 PM »

Early Floyd is the best IMHO - the "See Emily Play" era.

Billy Shears

• A Beginning
  • There's a fog upon L.A.
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2004, 12:35:30 PM »

sheeeep.....bahhhh....now that's really pink!
" You can't have a party without Beatles"

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2004, 11:57:15 PM »

[quote by=The_End link=Blah.pl?b=conversations,m=1091964713,s=20 date=1092658507]Early Floyd is the best IMHO - the "See Emily Play" era.[/quote]

Would that also be the crazy Syd era?

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2004, 11:59:14 PM »

[quote by=Maccalvr link=Blah.pl?b=conversations,m=1091964713,s=22 date=1092700635]

Would that also be the crazy Syd era? [/quote]

Oooh, yeah! ;D

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2004, 12:01:08 AM »

[quote by=Zep_Fan link=Blah.pl?b=conversations,m=1091964713,s=19 date=1092583166]The Wall is their 3th worst album.[/quote]
Whats their best, Animals?
The wall and dark side of the moon is the only two pink floyd albums i have.

Paul McCartney :)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2004, 12:21:37 AM »

[quote by=The_End link=Blah.pl?b=conversations,m=1091964713,s=23 date=1092700754]

Oooh, yeah! ;D[/quote]

I've only heard a couple of his solo songs from Madcap which I wasn't crazy about. They sounded undone or something. I've never heard his work with  Floyd, so I can't comment. I would have liked to have seen them on American Banstand with Syd though! Or should I say Roger.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2004, 02:44:03 AM »

This is an AWESOME site
http://www.pinkfloyd.co.uk/echoes/index.html
you can listen to all the songs on their compilation CD Echoes and read band comments about each song. It's so cool. So I listened to some of their early stuff. I still prefer the later Floyd but some if it's cool. I kinda liked Bike even though the ending is insane. Here's an interesting comment Nick Mason made when talking about the recording of that song:

Later there were suggestions that some of Syd's more 'peculiar' behaviour was copied from John Lennon who happened to be recording Sergeant Pepper down the corridor of Abbey Rd at the same time.
So it was John who was crazy! ;D

Crazy Diamond

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2004, 09:16:08 AM »

[quote by=number14 link=Blah.pl?b=conversations,m=1091964713,s=24 date=1092700868]
Whats their best, Animals?
The wall and dark side of the moon is the only two pink floyd albums i have.

[/quote]
My Top 5 ATM:
1. Wish You Were Here
2. Dark Side of the Moon
3. Ummagumma
4. Atom Heart Mother
5. A Saucerful of Secrets
The only Animals song I really like, is Sheep. Dogs and Pigs are too long.

verbatim

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2004, 05:45:27 PM »

number14, you can never understand pink floyd w/ out having heard whish you were here....get off the computer, and run to whereever you buy music, and get it now!

Crazy Diamond

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2004, 08:50:26 AM »

[quote by=verbatim link=Blah.pl?b=conversations,m=1091964713,s=28 date=1092937527]number14, you can never understand pink floyd w/ out having heard whish you were here....get off the computer, and run to whereever you buy music, and get it now![/quote]
I agree.

My New Top 5:
1. Wish
2. Meddle
3. Obscured
4. Atom Heart Mother
5. Ummagumma

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2004, 12:10:01 PM »

Woohoo! That's what I prefer too - basically much of their stuff before (and not including) Dark Side.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2004, 05:20:51 PM »

[quote by=The_End link=Blah.pl?b=conversations,m=1091964713,s=31 date=1093263001]Woohoo! That's what I prefer too - basically much of their stuff before (and not including) Dark Side.[/quote]

That's funny because that's ALL I knew of Pink Floyd! Such ignorance!! Now I'm listening to Astronomy Domine, Arnold Lane,Jugband Blues etc. and LOVING it! I also like their version of King Bee! Hah! Last time I heard that Belushi was singing it wearing his bee suit! I also like some of Syd's solo stuff. I love Bob Dylan Blues! I'm glad they ended up releasing it! Anyone familiar w/ solo Syd and have recommendations? I'm mostly downloading stuff but haven't bought anything yet.

The MAN!

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2004, 07:47:07 PM »

The scene where the little boy has no one to push him is so sad.  Its a great movie though and you dont have to be on anything to appreciate it.  I love at the end, when the children pick up the pices of the Wall...

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2004, 08:03:32 PM »

I think it's sad when his rat dies. Pretty pathetic.

I also like when the teacher reads his poem out loud in class and it's the song Money. That's cute.

When the album first came out (not movie) it was banned at my elementary school! My friend got into trouble for bringing it in one day. I just remember hating the song Another Brick in the Wall because it was played on the radio 24 hours a day. Those were the days. Now it's annoying pop crap played 24 hours a day. I'd rather hear the Wall.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2004, 10:12:31 PM »

The animated sequences are brilliant too.  This is making me wanna see the movie again, but i have to order it from Netflix cos im too cheep to buy.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2004, 10:46:40 PM »

I LOVE the animations!! They used to creep me out, but now I think they're brilliant! The whole ending animated sequence for The Trial is awesome. And I love the marching hammers. They even made an appearance on the Simpsons!

PS
Go buy it already!! I'ts SO worth it!! ;D

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2004, 11:14:49 PM »

I dont have a job during school and i have to keep getting albums i dont have which adds up, plus i only have to wait about 2 days for anything from netflix.  but ya ill probably buy it soon...

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2004, 11:46:22 PM »

I thought this was interesting! I found it at some Pink Floyd site. I only knew of two of the rererences! Now I have to look for the others!

Pink Floyd has made many "Guest" appearances on The Simpsons. Each of their four core albums has been referenced.

Dark Side of the Moon - Consistently a poster in Homer's room in his flashbacks; in "Homer Goes to College," there is a poster of the album in the dean's office at Springfield University.
Wish You Were Here - in "Old Man and the Lisa," Mr. Burns tells a Hippie recycler, 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond'.
Animals - Hallapalooza episode. Homer sets off a cannon and the Pink Floyd Pig is fired out. Peter Frampton states that he "...got it at Pink Floyd's yard sale".
The Wall - Episode where Homer discovers his middle name and becomes a hippie. After making juice with drugged vegetables, Ned Flanders drinks some and sees a strange parade which includes the Hammers. In "Missionary: Impossible", Marge misquotes the start of "Comfortably Numb" (saying "Is there anybody in there?") when contacting Homer on a short wave radio.
It was also rumoured that Pink Floyd was set to appear as guests on the show due to a drawing of them, autographed by Matt Groening being distributed online. As of yet, they have not appeared on the show, and will likely not in the future due to the Gilmour/Waters dispute. Groening is a fan of Floyd, and drew it to show it, along with the above references.

South Park

In the episode "Timmy 2000", Cartman taunts "haha, charade you are, teacha" to his new forth grade teacher, a reference to the first part of the song "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" from Animals.

In That 70's Show, Hyde is often seen wearing a Dark Side of the Moon T-Shirt. The show is approaching the release date of The Wall near the end of 1979.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2004, 12:56:11 AM »

I love the Mr. Burns one.  I had a teacher who was being a dick, so i told him to shine on you crazy diamond, and apparently he was  a big floyd fan and hes loved me ever since.  Sometimes life is good.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2004, 11:13:37 PM »

Check this out! I don't know if I like it, but I WILL go see it that's for sure! It's just a little strange. Roger Waters is really milking that album for all it's worth! I don't think the other guys will see a dime of it since he won the rights to it in the 90's. I wish I could have seen them do in in concert. What can compare to that?!

The Wall coming to Broadway

Official Press Release

In what stands to bring one of film and Broadway's leading producers together with one of music's most influential pioneers, Miramax Films and Thomas D. Mottola today announced that they have acquired the rights to develop and produce a Broadway musical based on Pink Floyd's seminal rock album, The Wall, one of the best selling and most renowned records of all time.

Initiated by Mottola, Miramax joined in to acquire the rights from Roger Waters, who conceived and created the work. For The Wall, Waters will write the book and will also arrange and orchestrate his music for the stage production.

Since its release in 1979, The Wall has sold over 23 million copies and is currently the 3rd best selling album of all time. The inspired performances of The Wall in 1980-1981, which were written and directed by Roger Waters, have become collectively known as the most legendary shows ever.

"I am thrilled to be involved with bringing The Wall to Broadway and to give new generations the opportunity to see this legendary show," said Harvey Weinstein, co-chairman of Miramax Films. "I am also delighted to be working with music geniuses Tommy Mottola and Roger Waters, who are sure to make the music rock again."

"There are few projects as timeless as The Wall," stated Mr. Mottola. "Even after two decades since its first release, The Wall continues to break through every generational, socioeconomic and political boundary. When I first thought of bringing this event to Broadway, I knew I could not do it without the visionary talents of Roger Waters and of course, my dear friend Harvey Weinstein and the wealth of experience of his Miramax team." "Great! Now I can write in some laughs, notable by their absence in the Movie," said Roger Waters.

Harvey Weinstein, Timothy Schmidt, Vice President of Business & Legal Affairs, and Heidi Herman, Director of Creative Affairs will oversee the production on behalf of Miramax. Charles Layton and Timothy Schmidt negotiated the agreement on behalf of Miramax. Larry Shire and Gil Karson negotiated on behalf of Thomas D. Mottola. John Breglio, Mark Fenwick and Tony Russell negotiated for Roger Waters.

Thanks/Source: Roger Waters Online
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 80 queries.