Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Stage Vox: Compression vs mic feedback  (Read 1471 times)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Stage Vox: Compression vs mic feedback
« on: April 27, 2008, 10:39:31 PM »

Hi -

I understand that compression, with make up gain, increases RMS of the signal.

What I'm not sure about is, how will that affect mic feedback?

I've got a large dynamic range in my vocals, moving lots more air for example with high notes. I've been thinking of getting a compressor because these high notes will often cause feedback on the mic, even with doing the usual backing off from the mic on those high notes (the mic preamp is set high enough to get my lower/softer notes up to volume).

The question I don't have enough experience about to know the answer to is ... when I use makeup gain to turn up the compressed signal, will I just be back in feedback city?

Thanks!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
Re: Stage Vox: Compression vs mic feedback
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 11:55:27 PM »

first question...are you using a shure sm58 mic?
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 11:57:55 PM »

No, it's an AT something or other.

But the question is out there irrespective of mic model (guessing the SM57 has a tendency towards feedback?).

I can add that I don't have a lot of control over EQ (lo-mid-high controls on my little mixer) ...

Thanks!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 12:31:32 AM »

No it's not that, The SM58 is like the industry standard because of it's lack of feedback problems. The 57 is better for impact sounds like snare, guitar cabs and female vocals,,,the 58 is a great mic adding depth, clarity and an improved bottom end.  The most gain you can get basically, is just before it feedbacks...then, drop the master volume back slightly. Eq on the main front of house system can cut out rogue frequencies. Also, make sure you are not too close to floor monitors or FOH speakers. Then I would ease in the compressor until you can feel the effect. Of course, too much gain will increase the likeliehood of feedback so just play gentle with it. Do you have a V.U. to see if and when the gain is clipping?

When gigging locally, i use a nice mackie head with built in compressor and I apply a sprinkel of reverb (med hall). On a full band 3K rig with outboard desk and 2 monitor mixes, I would chain in a compressor through an aux send and apply accordingly on the appropriate channel. It all depends what your going for at the end of the day but be careful not to overcompress or you may lose dynamics in your vocal. It is a great effect but I use it more in the studio than live. Mic technique is a crucial factor, it;s about giving the mic the best signal possible which normally means having the mouth cloase to the mic but back off when the high note is a gonna come or slighlty turn the head left or right. My vocals are all over the range, Sting to Gil Scot Heron, Macca to Marvin....it will just come natural in time but moderation is the key. Don't rely too much on effects for your singing. ;)

Right I'm  ramblin...just done 2 gigs today and am bushed. Hope that helps some. :)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 12:36:20 AM »

Quote from: 15
No it's not that, The SM58 is like the industry standard because of it's lack of feedback problems. The 57 is better for impact sounds like snare, guitar cabs and female vocals,,,the 58 is a great mic adding depth, clarity and an improved bottom end.  The most gain you can get basically, is just before it feedbacks...then, drop the master volume back slightly. Eq on the main front of house system can cut out rogue frequencies. Also, make sure you are not too close to floor monitors or FOH speakers. Then I would ease in the compressor until you can feel the effect. Of course, too much gain will increase the likeliehood of feedback so just play gentle with it. Do you have a V.U. to see if and when the gain is clipping?

When gigging locally, i use a nice mackie head with built in compressor and I apply a sprinkel of reverb (med hall). On a full band 3K rig with outboard desk and 2 monitor mixes, I would chain in a compressor through an aux send and apply accordingly on the appropriate channel. It all depends what your going for at the end of the day but be careful not to overcompress or you may lose dynamics in your vocal. It is a great effect but I use it more in the studio than live. Mic technique is a crucial factor, it;s about giving the mic the best signal possible which normally means having the mouth cloase to the mic but back off when the high note is a gonna come or slighlty turn the head left or right. My vocals are all over the range, Sting to Gil Scot Heron, Macca to Marvin....it will just come natural in time but moderation is the key. Don't rely too much on effects for your singing. ;)

Right I'm  ramblin...just done 2 gigs today and am bushed. Hope that helps some. :)

Hey Apple Beatle - please post more when you are exhausted after gigs ... that was a VERY HELPFUL post. Especially that bit about turning my head to the left or right, a lot easier than backing way off!

Hope the gigs went well!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 10:41:36 PM »

Cheers Alexis,

Glad to be of assistance. The gigs were good cheers...I have a Hendrix performance next weekend and an Apple Beatle duo gig the night after up in London which I am looking forward to. Hoping the voice will hold good. :)

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 48 queries.