Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33

Author Topic: Books  (Read 88564 times)

KelMar

Re: Books
« Reply #300 on: April 04, 2016, 07:02:46 PM »

I was trying to explain the concept of film strips (do you all remember those?) to my kids, and they just didn't get it.

I do! I was still showing those when I taught. They were easier than movies but not as entertaining. VCRs were new then and the school had just one that we all shared. Watching a video took up most of the afternoon, by the time we trooped to the movie room and I tried to figure out why it wouldn't work on the same channel that it did the previous time. And here I am, 30 years later, fighting with the big screen TV at the library. It's a marvel of technology; you can connect a laptop to it but it never works the same way as the previous time. Filmstrips were great!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 07:05:28 PM by In My Life »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #301 on: April 04, 2016, 08:31:27 PM »

Wow, I'm getting dizzy just looking at those stills you posted, Barry. Have fun, and be safe (and careful).  ;)

I'm no fool, no siree, I'm gonna live to be 103!    ;D

I never saw those Jiminy Cricket films in school, but they look interesting. I was trying to explain the concept of film strips (do you all remember those?) to my kids, and they just didn't get it.

I remember film strips too.  They were boring but at least they didn't break.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #302 on: April 04, 2016, 08:45:40 PM »

That sounded like a different mix or am I just dizzy from looking at those pictures?

That was the UK version, Kelley.  Here's the US version as used in the movie...

http://youtu.be/DQdFStANuJ8

I've always preferred the UK version.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #303 on: April 04, 2016, 08:56:59 PM »

No one liked Gimme Some Lovin' at Bob's Country Bunker...

http://youtu.be/RdR6MN2jKYs

KelMar

« Reply #304 on: April 07, 2016, 05:48:41 AM »

^^^
That's hilarious! I've only ever seen that movie in bits and pieces when my son watches it. It's one of his favorites.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #305 on: April 07, 2016, 05:53:55 AM »

You've gotta see the whole movie, Kelley.  The cops are always after Elwood and Jake.  Here's the mall chase scene...

http://youtu.be/IIdGxR-aU6o

The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year.   ;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #306 on: April 07, 2016, 06:00:21 AM »

KelMar

« Reply #307 on: April 07, 2016, 06:17:02 AM »

You've gotta see the whole movie, Kelley. 

Yeah, I know. I'm sure it wouldn't take much persuading to get Kyle to join me. I have seen the mall chase scene and I slept through Aretha's number one time. I had a hilarious dream though and she figured prominently in it.  ;D

Maggie0819

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #308 on: April 28, 2016, 11:16:34 AM »

I recently finished reading John Cleese's autobiography So, Anyway and right now I'm reading Stephen Fry's autobiography The Fry Chronicles which is lovely. After this one it's on to To Kill a Mockingbird which I somehow have never read before. It's been a while since I've had the motivation to read and now I can't stop!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #309 on: April 28, 2016, 04:02:19 PM »

After this one it's on to To Kill a Mockingbird which I somehow have never read before.

I loved To Kill a Mockingbird, but sadly, nobody else in my family (children, sister, nephew, former spouse) liked it. I'll be curious to hear what you think of it.

My book group is reading The Screwtape Letters, and I am finding it both fascinating and confusing because of its unique perspective. C.S. Lewis was certainly brilliant.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #310 on: April 28, 2016, 05:59:30 PM »

I just finished The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny.  It is a very different fantasy series, nothing like the typical medieval genre fantasy that's out there. 
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Maggie0819

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #311 on: April 28, 2016, 10:49:25 PM »

I loved To Kill a Mockingbird, but sadly, nobody else in my family (children, sister, nephew, former spouse) liked it. I'll be curious to hear what you think of it.

My book group is reading The Screwtape Letters, and I am finding it both fascinating and confusing because of its unique perspective. C.S. Lewis was certainly brilliant.

I'm sure I'll love it, always heard great things about it and I love the film version with Gregory Peck, although I'm sure it doesn't measure up to the book. I'm ashamed to say I haven't read a single book by C.S. Lewis either! I'll be sure to put him on my list of authors to read.  icon_good

Maggie0819

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #312 on: April 28, 2016, 10:57:25 PM »

I just finished The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny.  It is a very different fantasy series, nothing like the typical medieval genre fantasy that's out there.

I've never been able to finish The Chronicles of Amber due to studying, but I'm dying to read it as I'm a fan of fantasy. Although only getting to about the second chapter of Nine Princes in Amber, it seemed really interesting and it also seemed wonderfully uncomplicated in the way it was written and relatively easy to take in. Sadly, it's still waiting on the bookshelf, dusting away, haha.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #313 on: April 29, 2016, 02:19:49 AM »

I've never been able to finish The Chronicles of Amber due to studying, but I'm dying to read it as I'm a fan of fantasy. Although only getting to about the second chapter of Nine Princes in Amber, it seemed really interesting and it also seemed wonderfully uncomplicated in the way it was written and relatively easy to take in. Sadly, it's still waiting on the bookshelf, dusting away, haha.

I usually don't like first-person narrative, but it really works here.

KelMar

« Reply #314 on: April 29, 2016, 03:35:11 AM »

After this one it's on to To Kill a Mockingbird which I somehow have never read before.

I loved To Kill a Mockingbird

I never have either but always have intended to read it. I read a lot but I'm not particularly well-read if that makes sense. Right now I'm finishing a bio on Ruth Lyons, who was a pioneering radio and TV personality in Cincinnati. I stumbled upon her on YouTube and found her quite interesting!

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #315 on: April 29, 2016, 12:03:36 PM »

What about Ancient Greece literature? Since October 2015 I read Homer, Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides, Herodotus, Thucydides, etc. Still read Aristophanes. Very intersting dive into the ancient world.
Anyone read it?

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #316 on: April 29, 2016, 09:06:22 PM »

What about Ancient Greece literature? Since October 2015 I read Homer, Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides, Herodotus, Thucydides, etc. Still read Aristophanes. Very intersting dive into the ancient world.
Anyone read it?

The furthest back I've gone is the Roman Plutarch's Lives.  Oh, and Aesop's Fables.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #317 on: May 09, 2016, 07:06:42 PM »

As an awkward segue from the "Movies" thread, I thought I'd recommend Kristin Hannah's Winter Garden. It's very hard to get into at first, and at first the mother is an extremely unlikable character, but once I got about a third of the way through I couldn't put it down. It's more of a "chick" book. Kelley and Maggie, if you haven't read it, I urge you to give it a try. It's historical fiction, much like Hannah's The Nightengale.

I just finished Into Thin Air and couldn't put that down, either. I was surprised to see in the Postcript that Jon Krakauer actually spoke with my first journalism professor, Steve Weinberg after the book was published and another account (The Climb) of the disaster had come out.

Now I have to watch Everest again so I can make more sense of the plot.

Maggie0819

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #318 on: May 09, 2016, 07:24:11 PM »

I finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird the same day I bought it, I couldn't put it down but at the same time I didn't want it to end. It was wonderful and even made me shed a few tears. I just ordered The Great Gatsby, another classic that I'm ashamed to say I haven't read yet. Looking forward to it.  icon_good

KelMar

« Reply #319 on: May 09, 2016, 09:41:30 PM »

As an awkward segue from the "Movies" thread, I thought I'd recommend Kristin Hannah's Winter Garden. It's very hard to get into at first, and at first the mother is an extremely unlikable character, but once I got about a third of the way through I couldn't put it down. It's more of a "chick" book. Kelley and Maggie, if you haven't read it, I urge you to give it a try. It's historical fiction, much like Hannah's The Nightengale.

I read that when when it first came out Kathy. It's been a while but I remember that I liked it. Kristen Hannah is one of my favorite authors. I always seem to identify with something in each of her books. Winter Garden contained a line that really spoke to me. I don't remember the exact quote but I think it was about the mother when she was younger. I believe she had just lost her mother and then her sister and she was musing about the fact that being a daughter and a sister had defined who she was and then suddenly that was gone and she didn't know who she was anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33

Page created in 0.768 seconds with 79 queries.