Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Favourite Old Records  (Read 16002 times)

peterbell1

• Getting Better
Re: Favourite Old Records
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 11:32:52 PM »

High Noon is a great song from a great movie.  I love the song and High Noon is one of my favorite movies.

High Noon Intro

Ballad "High Noon" written by Dimitri Tiomkin, lyrics by Ned Washington and sung by Tex Ritter

The director, Fred Zinnemann, and screen writer, Carl Foreman, made a strong allegorical political statement against McCarthyism with this movie.

I watched High Noon on TV a couple of days ago and thought the soundtrack was great - some great stuff going on with the percussion track in the title song, obviously trying to simulate the second hand of a clock or whatever, and really helping the tension of the film. I don't rate the film itself very highly, but the soundtrack was excellent.

Saw a documentary about Sinatra last night - may have had a bit of a dodgy private life, but the guy could definitely sing. It's his timing that gets you - lots of people can sing a tune note perfect, but very few have his timing and style. An incredible vocalist. After watching the documentary I have been listening to his greatest hits today and he never fails to impress, even with material that would be poor in someone else's hands.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 04:03:43 AM »

I watched High Noon on TV a couple of days ago and thought the soundtrack was great - some great stuff going on with the percussion track in the title song, obviously trying to simulate the second hand of a clock or whatever, and really helping the tension of the film. I don't rate the film itself very highly, but the soundtrack was excellent.

Pete, what didn't you like about the film to not rate it highly?  High Noon has always been considered controversial in its content, music and cinematography.  As I mentioned, the director and screenwriter meant it as commentary on the hearings of the House Committee on Un-American Activities going on at the time.  Dimitri Tiomkin's musical score, as you said, helped in creating the tension which rose during the film.  Floyd Crosby shot the film in black and white without the use of filters in an attempt to recreate the photographic style of the 19th Century.  And Gary Cooper played the role of Will Kane in the Method Acting style taught by Lee Strasberg.  It was one of his finest performances of his career.

Saw a documentary about Sinatra last night - may have had a bit of a dodgy private life, but the guy could definitely sing. It's his timing that gets you - lots of people can sing a tune note perfect, but very few have his timing and style. An incredible vocalist. After watching the documentary I have been listening to his greatest hits today and he never fails to impress, even with material that would be poor in someone else's hands.

That's why Frank Sinatra was called "The Voice."  As you mentioned, his phrasing is what set him apart from other vocalists.

I can stay till it's time to go

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 10:26:28 AM »

Pete, what didn't you like about the film to not rate it highly?  High Noon has always been considered controversial in its content, music and cinematography.  As I mentioned, the director and screenwriter meant it as commentary on the hearings of the House Committee on Un-American Activities going on at the time.  Dimitri Tiomkin's musical score, as you said, helped in creating the tension which rose during the film.  Floyd Crosby shot the film in black and white without the use of filters in an attempt to recreate the photographic style of the 19th Century.  And Gary Cooper played the role of Will Kane in the Method Acting style taught by Lee Strasberg.  It was one of his finest performances of his career.

One of the things I don't like about the film is the relationship between Kane and his new wife. It would have been a lot more believable if he married someone his own age, rather than a gorgeous young woman getting hitched to a miserable old man! And his ex girlfriend is another gorgeous young woman (who was previously with his rival but is now with his deputy!!).
Plus the fact that this young Quaker woman with strong religious views seems happy to get married to someone who doesn't seem to share her beliefs and has obviously been around the block a few times.
There never seems to be any spark between them as a couple. That whole relationship just never clicks for me, yet it is a major factor in the film's plot.

Another thing I wasn't keen on was the fact that all this tension builds during the film, but then the final shoot-out ends up as a bit of an anti-climax.

It's a great film in many ways and I know it was ground-breaking for it's time, but for me it isn't a real classic.

nimrod

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 11:03:21 PM »

One for the oldies here, what are you favourite old songs ?

My Dad used to love this LP, I still play it now and again, it brings back nice memories, miss you Dad :(

Like the complete idiot I am I forgot to post the picture of the album so Ive included it this time :D

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 09:56:04 AM »

8)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 07:41:42 AM »

8)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2013, 08:58:52 AM »

8)

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2013, 11:18:37 AM »

8)

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2013, 08:44:28 AM »

8)

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2013, 11:32:46 AM »

8)

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2013, 09:15:30 AM »

8)

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2013, 11:05:47 AM »

8)

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 12:15:07 PM »

8)

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2013, 05:36:08 PM »

8)

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2013, 11:12:41 AM »

8)

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2013, 08:01:42 AM »

8)

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2013, 08:39:16 PM »

A band from former Yugoslavia called 'Crveni koralji' ('Red corals' - a great name for a bend, don't you think? 8))

They were very popular in the 60s, doing covers of 60s hits like Mona Lisa, We Say Yeah..., sometimes in poetic rendition to Croatian.
They covered a lot of stuff (instrumentals) from The Shadows (Cosy). They noticed coming of the Beatles - but continued to perform the oldies - to this day.

Zvjezdana noć (Cosy) - from the album Rock'n'Roll Collection (1963-1966)

ZVJEZDANA NOĆ - Cerveni Koralji

CRVENI KORALJI-NAPULJSKA GITARA

(traditional, instrumental)

CRVENI KORALJI-MONA LISA

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 08:56:20 PM by real01 »

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2013, 12:13:46 AM »

I picked up this odd little bird at Goodwill. A 10" 33 1/3 record of Chopin arranged for 4 pianos.

What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2013, 08:40:29 AM »

8)

KelMar

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2013, 04:21:08 AM »

What I great topic! I've got to go upstairs and look through my records. I got quite a few interesting ones last summer but like most everything I enjoy I let life get in the way of spending time with them. Anyway, Klang, that Pat Boone record looks way better than when he decided to go heavy metal. What the heck was up with that?!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Page created in 0.536 seconds with 80 queries.