Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Pete Best sacked because of his mom?  (Read 47592 times)

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
Pete Best sacked because of his mom?
« on: September 28, 2011, 03:55:06 AM »

In this interview, former Liverpool promoter Sam Leach claims that it was Brian Epstein who wanted Pete Best out so that he could completely remove himself from his mom, Mona, who wanted to be Beatles promoter and was critical of Epstein's homosexuality.

http://www.classicbands.com/SamLeachInterview.html

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
Re: Pete Best sacked because of his mom?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 04:57:24 AM »

Sam Leach is an upstanding guy. I met him in the mid-90s. Real kind, nice guy.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 06:39:26 AM »

I don't believe Mona wanted to be the Beatles promotor. She's the Beatles mum and got them their gigs when the band was almost dead.

nimrod

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 11:36:04 AM »

Pete Best sacked because of his mom? I doubt it, listen to Petes drumming on Love Me Do........I think they really needed Ringo.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 01:50:09 AM »

The Beatles had nothing against Mona. She at least gave them a place to practice and play and Neil Aspinall was even banging her (father to Roag). Like Kevin said, they just needed a better drummer.

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 06:03:33 AM »

I don't believe Mona wanted to be the Beatles promotor. She's the Beatles mum and got them their gigs when the band was almost dead.
I think it was in Tony Bramwell's Magical Mystery Tours where he claimed that Mona Best despised Epstein and had her heart on becoming their promoter.

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 09:35:28 PM »

Gary..I also ran into Sam Leach as he's a part-time promoter of American English, a Beatles impersonation band in Chicago...Great guy..I hear he's not doing too well, now, though...

As for Best, Martin, Lennon/McCartney and Harrison have taken credit for dumping Best...Epstein has been thrown into the mix as the main reason he was ousted...I don't know what to think...

There's a new book or documentary out on Best which you have to take with a grain of salt, but I do think it's possible that Best's popularity could still have been the main and sole reason he was ousted...

Also, in Spitz's book, the potential rift between Best and the other three developed when the Quarry Men (John, Paul, George) left the Casbah because they didn't want to pay Ken Brown his share the night Brown sat out -with Mona's blessing- a show yet Mona gave him his share. Spitz asserts that Best held a grudge against them from that point on and never became one of them.

Jazz_Singing_Apple

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 11:20:29 PM »

If Pete was as popular as we're lead to believe, wouldn't sacking him run the risk of professional suicide for the others?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 12:27:32 AM »

Ringo was very popular too.
I can stay till it's time to go

Jazz_Singing_Apple

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 05:12:35 AM »

True but the way it's touted by some would have you believe that Pete was the main catalyst (and in some cases, sole reason) for The Beatles early success.

BeatlesAtTheirBest

• A Beginning
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 06:51:14 PM »

I don't think the contributions Pete Best and the Best family have ever fully been appreciated.  The Beatles may very well never have made it without them.  But, by the time The Beatles were recording Love Me Do, they weren't needed anymore, so they were dumped.  As for Pete's performance on Love Me Do, he obviously had a bad day struggling with a song they all hadn't fully learned yet.  Ringo had the benefit of 2 more months to get it right.  It shows.  I don't feel just a look at Love Me Do is fair when comparing Pete & Ringo.

As for sacking Pete, I think the change was, in the long term, for the better.  John, Paul & George sure seemed to think so.  Still, why do Beatle fans feel the need to diminish Pete and the years he put into helping the Beatles to become the phenomenon they became.  He deserves his proper due, simply having his existence acknowledged is not enough.

The Beatles (1960-1970) - John, Stu, Paul, George, Pete & Ringo

www.TheUltimateTrip.net

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 10:33:25 PM »

Some great replies here..Thanks.
The whole Best scenario is still a bit of a puzzle to me.

nimrod

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 02:53:20 AM »

I don't think the contributions Pete Best and the Best family have ever fully been appreciated.  The Beatles may very well never have made it without them.  But, by the time The Beatles were recording Love Me Do, they weren't needed anymore, so they were dumped.  As for Pete's performance on Love Me Do, he obviously had a bad day struggling with a song they all hadn't fully learned yet.  Ringo had the benefit of 2 more months to get it right.  It shows.  I don't feel just a look at Love Me Do is fair when comparing Pete & Ringo.

As for sacking Pete, I think the change was, in the long term, for the better.  John, Paul & George sure seemed to think so.  Still, why do Beatle fans feel the need to diminish Pete and the years he put into helping the Beatles to become the phenomenon they became.  He deserves his proper due, simply having his existence acknowledged is not enough.

True but its fair to say that pete does enjoy a certain amount of fame and notoriety amongst Beatle fans for his contribution to The Beatles

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 05:53:25 AM »

Hi everyone! Was Pete Best sacked because of his mom? In my opinion, it was one of the reasons other than the fact that Pete was just not a good drummer. Pete may have been the best looking out of the four but he lacked the charisma that Ringo possessed that was needed in order to complete THE BEATLES transformation. Take care.

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 06:40:29 AM »

Hi everyone! Was Pete Best sacked because of his mom? In my opinion, it was one of the reasons other than the fact that Pete was just not a good drummer. Pete may have been the best looking out of the four but he lacked the charisma that Ringo possessed that was needed in order to complete THE BEATLES transformation. Take care.
This appears to be the standard, robotic reply of all Ringo fans...However, Best's sacking has to go much deeper than this.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 06:45:53 AM »

This appears to be the standard, robotic reply of all Ringo fans...However, Best's sacking has to go much deeper than this.

Its not robotic, that was fact! Pete was kind of quiet and introverted as compared to Ringo. I'm sure that Pete's sacking did go much deeper than anything else thats been discussed other than the fact that the other three were jealous that Pete was better looking than all of them. Pete was getting all of the girls during those early years, Pete had a following.   

BeatlesAtTheirBest

• A Beginning
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 02:56:38 PM »

Pete's never really badmouthed the others except to defend himself.  He even admits to being a fan of the group and to owning their records.

My problem isn't so much that they sacked Pete, but how they did it and how they have treated him for the past 50 years.  I mean, if Pete wanted to take his family to Paul McCartney concert or out to see Ringo & his All Starr band, his money shouldn't be any good.  He should get the royal treatment.  The 2 years he put in should at least count for that.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 02:58:17 PM by BeatlesAtTheirBest »
The Beatles (1960-1970) - John, Stu, Paul, George, Pete & Ringo

www.TheUltimateTrip.net

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 05:12:58 PM »

I love it when people say the Beatles wouldn't have made it without Ringo...
With Lennon and McCartney up front and pumping out the hits, the Beatles would have made it with Bobcat Goldthwaite on drums.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 02:02:25 AM »

I love it when people say the Beatles wouldn't have made it without Ringo...
With Lennon and McCartney up front and pumping out the hits, the Beatles would have made it with Bobcat Goldthwaite on drums.

Same can be said for the lead guitar position too.

nimrod

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 02:25:27 AM »

Same can be said for the lead guitar position too.

absolutely
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Page created in 0.656 seconds with 80 queries.