Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Pete Best sacked because of his mom?  (Read 47593 times)

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
Re: Pete Best sacked because of his mom?
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2012, 05:02:25 PM »

your missing my point nada surf

Im not saying dont read books (Ive read plenty of Beatle books) Im saying dont take them as gospel truth, theyre just someones version of events, they may be wholly true or partly true, we'll never know.
Nimmer...this is why you read SEVERAL books...You get DIFFERENT takes on events and you can draw YOUR OWN opinions on what you think is fact and what isn't...The reason I entered this Pete Best/mom thread, is there are several opinions and takes on his ousting and I was hoping to get several opinions on what they think happened....I honestly think he was a victim of a nasty smear by the Beatles themselves that continues on today...And I also believe he was ousted because he was too popular for John and Paul.

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2012, 01:53:43 AM »

And I also believe he was ousted because he was too popular for John and Paul.

And there are theories that it was George Martin's idea to replace Pete Best with a better drummer.  And I've seen all the principals in the affair quoted as saying something like "I had nothing to do with it.  It was all (fill in the name)'s idea.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2012, 04:16:16 AM »

Anyway, I feel that Pete Best played OK on Love Me Do.  Sure he changed tempos but I'm sure they peformed it that way several times before.  To me it adds a litle life to the song.  If he were asked to play it like a metronome, he could have done so easily.

I like how Pete Best played on Besame Mucho too...

The Beatles - Besame Mucho (Decca) (2011 Remaster)

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2012, 05:46:36 AM »

And there are theories that it was George Martin's idea to replace Pete Best with a better drummer.  And I've seen all the principals in the affair quoted as saying something like "I had nothing to do with it.  It was all (fill in the name)'s idea.
John, Paul and George used Martin as an excuse, don't you think?

BeatlesAtTheirBest

• A Beginning
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2012, 01:37:23 PM »

The reason I entered this Pete Best/mom thread, is there are several opinions and takes on his ousting and I was hoping to get several opinions on what they think happened....I honestly think he was a victim of a nasty smear by the Beatles themselves that continues on today.
Watch this.
The Beatles at their Best (Original Trailer)

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:40:32 PM by BeatlesAtTheirBest »
The Beatles (1960-1970) - John, Stu, Paul, George, Pete & Ringo

www.TheUltimateTrip.net

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2012, 04:06:15 PM »

You know, with Pete, I always felt it was an accumulation of things. I had a band when I was a kid and we were all close friends except for the drummer who lived out of town. And he was OK, nothing great. In the back of our minds we always felt (and had discussed) if someone better came along, we would possibly make a switch.

Well it turns out we tried to make it on the covers circuit and the consensus was we were good, but not great. We had the opportunity of playing with one of the drummers from one of the great bands, who filled in when our drummer was out and it was like night and day.  From that point on we knew that our drummer had to go.

I bring this up because it is not unlike the Beatles story. They had such trouble getting ANYONE to play the drums and stick, when they got Pete, he was good enough. But he wasn't tight with them and when you're kids in a band trying to make it, that means a lot. Maybe not so much as adults.

But then they got the chance to play with Ringo, (When Pete couldn't make a gig) and they saw and heard and felt what it could be like with a true seasoned drummer. That was the day, I can guarantee you, the decision was made.  The fact that George Martin didn't like him just gave them an out. The die had been cast well before that.

Of course, standard disclaimer that this is my opinion, based on the books and articles I've read about the Beatles.
"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2012, 04:27:21 PM »

I like how Pete Best played on Besame Mucho too...

Besame Mucho (with Ringo)

13. Bésame Mucho (The Beatles - Live at the Star Club '62)

Live At The Star Club   December 1962

I like Pete's drumming better on Besame Mucho.  I like the way he used the toms and bass.  He sounded a bit like Gene Krupa.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2012, 04:33:18 PM »

John, Paul and George used Martin as an excuse, don't you think?

I think only Paul and George Martin know for sure.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2012, 07:01:29 PM »

Anyway, I feel that Pete Best played OK on Love Me Do.

Thats a compliment, because its truly awful.

Sure he changed tempos but I'm sure they peformed it that way several times before.

And it was up to the drummer to supply a beat that sounded good for the song. Pete didnt do that.

If he were asked to play it like a metronome, he could have done so easily.

Now how do you know that? What has Pete done that has given you the confidence to say this?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2012, 07:06:49 PM »

You know, with Pete, I always felt it was an accumulation of things. I had a band when I was a kid and we were all close friends except for the drummer who lived out of town. And he was OK, nothing great. In the back of our minds we always felt (and had discussed) if someone better came along, we would possibly make a switch.

Well it turns out we tried to make it on the covers circuit and the consensus was we were good, but not great. We had the opportunity of playing with one of the drummers from one of the great bands, who filled in when our drummer was out and it was like night and day.  From that point on we knew that our drummer had to go.

This is so true (I wish I were one of the good ones). Even Tom Petty said the same thing when they got Steve Ferrone. Stan Lynch was good, but I guess he wasnt rock solid like Steve is. When you have a rock solid drummer in place, the rest of the band quits worrying. All they have to do is keep up.

I believe Casbah has answered the question to this thread.

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2012, 07:12:58 PM »

George Harrison and Allan Williams have both stated that Tommy Moore was the best drummer the Beatles (or their other names) ever had...They also were extremely high on Norman Chapman, who they placed in Moore's level...
Ringo was the perfect drummer for them, though...
On the other hand, how did the Beatles become the best band around England with a bad drummer?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2012, 07:41:49 PM »

Thats a compliment, because its truly awful.

That's your opinion, Todd.

And it was up to the drummer to supply a beat that sounded good for the song. Pete didnt do that.

Love Me Do is not a very good song.  When Pete Best's drumming is criticized, this recording is always cited as the example.

Now how do you know that? What has Pete done that has given you the confidence to say this?

As previously mentioned...

...Pete Best played very well in Besame Mucho.  I prefer his style to Ringo's.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2012, 07:43:09 PM »

On the other hand, how did the Beatles become the best band around England with a bad drummer?

I wonder!   

;)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2012, 08:34:44 PM »

That's your opinion, Todd.

Barry, your the first person that i've ever heard say it was even exceptable. I'm just trying to understand you, thats all.

Love Me Do is not a very good song.  When Pete Best's drumming is criticized, this recording is always cited as the example.

No its not, and i've criticized the album versions plenty

As previously mentioned...

...Pete Best played very well in Besame Mucho.  I prefer his style to Ringo's.

Pete does it well, but i'm not sure Besame Mucho is a good example. Its just a constant tom roll and a snare hit (I think. I only have one speaker hooked up to the computer). I'd like to hear something a bit more intricate before I made my decision.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2012, 08:47:27 PM »

Is this the Ringo version, because the snare rolls are better than anything in the Decca version.

Besame Mucho / How Do You Do It (take1) The Beatles

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2012, 10:16:34 PM »

Is this the Ringo version, because the snare rolls are better than anything in the Decca version.

Besame Mucho / How Do You Do It (take1) The Beatles

Yes.  And I forgot about that recording.  Ringo added snare rolls to his toms where Pete concentrated on tom rolls.  But Pete Best also added some rhythm to his toms much the way Gene Krupa does here when he's backing Goodman ...

Gene Krupa- Sing, Sing, Sing

Anyway, Todd, it's just my preference for the drum pattern for Besame Mucho.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:29:21 PM by Hello Goodbye »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2012, 10:28:55 PM »

Barry, your the first person that i've ever heard say it was even exceptable. I'm just trying to understand you, thats all.

Perhaps I should qualify that a bit, Todd.  I like what Pete Best was trying to do in Love Me Do with his tempo changes.  It just didn't come off as well as it could...

The Beatles Love Me Do Anthology 1 version

...if it did, this would have been a much better song.  I still like this version more than the monotonous recordings we have of it with either Andy White or Ringo playing drums.

Pete does it well, but i'm not sure Besame Mucho is a good example. Its just a constant tom roll and a snare hit (I think. I only have one speaker hooked up to the computer). I'd like to hear something a bit more intricate before I made my decision.

Yes.  And you'll enjoy Paul doing Come And Get It and The Word live in Bologna more too.  You're in for a real treat there!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2012, 10:50:10 PM »

Todd, just a side note about Gene Krupa which I'm sure you know but others might appreciate...

Gene had been listening to African drumming on recordings just beginning to arrive in the United States.  He carefully copied that style and requested that Slingerland manufacture a floor tom tom that would be tunable on both top and bottom and stand on his right as he sat at the set.  Gene also asked for, and got, a second tunable tom-tom mounted on a holder on the bass drum shell.  Thus the four-piece fully tunable set was born with the help of Sam C. Rowland and the sponsorship of the Slingerland Drum Company.  The design established itself in the drummer's history for the next forty years and is still offered in most drum catalogs.

From The Making Of A Drum Company  The Autobiography of William F. Ludwig II

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2012, 01:55:52 AM »

Gene was a legend. A true innovator. Buddy might have gotten too much fanfare now that I think about it.

One thing about Pete's playing on Besame Mucho though is that he plays the dynamics on the toms at the same time every bar. Its just a pattern and its not hard (like playing Wipeout) even though it sounds good. Gene had a bit more going on as you already know. 

Hey, its all good Barry. We like what we like and there's no right or wrong. I've been a grouchy b**** for awhile now I realize and i'll try to lighten up for everybodys sake. Peace.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2012, 02:27:56 AM »

Yes, it is all good, Todd.  It's music.  It's part of our souls.

I'm happy that Paul, Ringo and Pete still tour.  It's part of theirs too.  I hope they all go on for many more years.

And Paul looked and sounded good in Bologna.

I think marriage to Nancy agrees with him.   ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 84 queries.