Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Nowhere Boy  (Read 41025 times)

Joe

• A Beginning
    • The Beatles Bible
Nowhere Boy
« on: August 29, 2008, 03:29:34 PM »

Not sure if there's a thread on this anywhere else - I couldn't see one. Sam Taylor-Wood is to be the director of Nowhere Boy, the forthcoming film about John Lennon's childhood.

More here: http://www.beatlesbible.com/2008/08/29/sam-taylor-wood-to-direct-lennon-biopic-nowhere-boy/
An older story, with some background: http://www.beatlesbible.com/2008/07/18/lennon-childhood-biopic-awarded-uk-film-council-grant/
http://www.beatlesbible.com - come and say hi, and PM me any suggestions. It's a work in progress but you'll get the idea...

BlueMeanie

Re: Nowhere Boy
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 04:05:19 PM »

Let's hope it's accurate and goes some way to dispelling the self perpetrated myth about Lennon's so called awful childhood.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 10:39:34 AM »

Bloody awful title, reminiscent of Sunday feature journalism. It's a wait-and-see project at best.

Taylor-Wood plans Lennon biopic

Artist Sam Taylor-Wood and Control writer Matt Greenhalgh to direct and write film about John Lennon's teenage years

Ben Child and agencies
Guardian.co.uk,
Friday August 29 2008 09:48 BST

John Lennon's troubled adolescence is to be the subject of a film from the writer of Control and the artist Sam Taylor-Wood.

Matt Greenhalgh, who won a Bafta for his screenplay about the final years of Joy Division's Ian Curtis, is to focus his script on the lonely teenage years of the future Beatle, who was raised by his authoritarian aunt after being abandoned by his mother. In the film, titled Nowhere Boy, Lennon finds solace in his music, art and friendship with Paul McCartney.

Taylor-Wood, who will be making her feature debut on the project, will shoot on location in Liverpool in the area where Lennon grew up. Casting is said to be underway on the project, and the Daily Mail reports today that Kate Winslet is being encouraged to audition for the role of Lennon's mother, Julia.

"The women in John's early life truly shaped who he became," Taylor-Wood told the Hollywood Reporter. "And the strengths and weaknesses of their relationships are central to this film."

The feature is being financed by Ecosse Films, with the support of the Film Council. It's not the first film to focus on Lennon, who as part of the Beatles was the subject of 1994's Backbeat, which focused on the band's early career in Hamburg. There was also 1991's The Hours and the Times, a fictionalised account of what might have happened when Lennon and Beatles manager Brian Epstein took a holiday together in 1963. Lennon was played by Ian Hart on both occasions.

Last year's The Killing of John Lennon centred on the final hours of Lennon's life from the perspective of his murderer, Mark Chapman.

While not having directed a feature film before, Taylor-Wood has a history working with musicians. She has produced films based on the Pet Shop Boys' Somewhere concerts at the Savoy theatre in London and made a promotional video starring Robert Downey Jr for the 2001 Elton John single I Want Love.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/aug/29/lennon.taylorwood

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 01:13:52 PM »

Quote from: 483
Let's hope it's accurate and goes some way to dispelling the self perpetrated myth about Lennon's so called awful childhood.

I can almost already imagine the start of the film with bombs dropping on Liverpool while John was born. Which is inaccurate for a start.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 01:17:25 PM »

I HEARD IT WAS WAR RAVAGED LIDDYPOOL....sorry about the caps....

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 05:57:03 AM »

I heard that Kate Winslet is set to play Julia. An interesting choice for sure.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 06:17:38 AM »

Quote from: 682
I heard that Kate Winslet is set to play Julia. An interesting choice for sure.

That was my reaction, too: is Winslet at all plausible for the role (I haven't seen in her in anything lately), or does it say something unfortunate about the sort of movie they want to shoot?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 06:25:22 AM »

Maybe they'll get the bloke that plays Charlie in 'Lost', to play John! ;D

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 06:33:47 AM »

Quote from: 1161

That was my reaction, too: is Winslet at all plausible for the role (I haven't seen in her in anything lately), or does it say something unfortunate about the sort of movie they want to shoot?

I've only seen her in a couple of movies (A Kid in King Arthur's Court and Titanic) but I think she's a good actress who'll probably surprise a lot of people who are thinking Kate Winslet!?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 06:38:23 AM »

As long as she shaves her eyebrows.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 06:44:41 AM »

I'm afraid I'm nearly completely lost at this sort of thing: Winslet does appear to have a good career resume, though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Winslet

BlueMeanie

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 06:58:29 AM »

She's a fine actress. I just think that well known people are better played by relative unknowns. A Pauline Collins type would do the job. I won't see Julia Lennon, I'll see Kate Winslett, whereas the unknown will have a reasonable chance at realism. I'll just be waiting for Leonardo to call round and say 'fancy a trip on me boat this afternoon luv'!

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 07:10:49 AM »

I think Kate can pull off Julia. When I saw The Dark Knight, I didn't think to myself that that was Heath Ledger. It was The Joker and not Heath. Only afterwards did it sink in. He did that good of a job.

After seeing Leo in some of his other films (The Departed, Blood Diamond, Gangs of New York just to name a few) I hardly ever think of him as his portrayal in Titanic. He's a talented actor who has gotten away (IMO) from that Titanic Leo DiCaprio heart throb crap.  :P His performances in What's Eating Gilbert Grape? and The Basketball Diaries (Both pre Titanic) are amazing as well.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 07:12:26 AM »

Maybe they could dress him up in drag and play Aunt Mimi?

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 07:14:06 AM »

;D

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 02:07:46 PM »

Quote from: 483
She's a fine actress. I just think that well known people are better played by relative unknowns. A Pauline Collins type would do the job. I won't see Julia Lennon, I'll see Kate Winslett, whereas the unknown will have a reasonable chance at realism. I'll just be waiting for Leonardo to call round and say 'fancy a trip on me boat this afternoon luv'!

And Fred Lennon was a sailor: they'll have some job writing the Julia and Fred scenes.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 03:32:16 PM »

another Lennon one ::) i wish they'd make a movie on the life of all of the beatles from hamburg days right through to the breakup.

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 10:21:34 PM »

Still reeling  -  Kate Winslet??! She was in Iris (played young Iris Murdoch), and was quoted in an interview as saying she hadn't read any of Iris's novels as background to the character, she'd just read the script. So she probably won't even go to Liverpool/listen to any of John's music/look at any of his boyhood art, etc. Or am i being harshly judgemental here? (Yes, I hear you cry!) So far, she's only tipped to be Julia, not guaranteed, and hey  -  she might do a good job!
BUT ... WHO COULD BE MIMI??? Judi Dench? Derek Jacobi? or will they use computer graphics for all characters they can't cast successfully??!
Oh, and I'm hoping for some strong child actors for the various 'ages of John', thinking Billy Elliott/Kes??  They could grab a 'real' kid from some Liverpool classroom, that'd be cool.
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 06:53:50 PM »

I'm sorry, but this sounds like a really terrible TV movie from the '80s.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 09:06:05 PM »

Quote from: 218
I'm sorry, but this sounds like a really terrible TV movie from the '80s.

It does; the title is awful: it sounds like the sort of thing Fox would run after When Good Pets Go Bad on a slow Sunday night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Good_Pets_Go_Bad

[What?! You thought I just made that up?]

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Page created in 0.6 seconds with 80 queries.