Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Microscope - Bare Wires, John Mayalls Bluesbreakers  (Read 9022 times)

nimrod

Microscope - Bare Wires, John Mayalls Bluesbreakers
« on: November 14, 2011, 12:01:01 AM »

One day at age 14 I visited the home of my 16 year old friend who was lead guitarist in a local band (I saw him as some sort of god as he was doing what I wanted to do) I remember he put this album on for me to hear, Id never heard of John Mayall.......anyway I sat and listened to the whole thing and I can honestly say it had a huge effect on me, Ive never gotten over that magical feeling it gave me, Im 14 again whenever I listen to it....

Im not gonna cover the whole album as I know most on here will never have heard it so this is just a taster for one of my top 5 of all time albums..

Mayall had expanded his line up for this phase, gone was Clapton, Green (to Fleetwood Mac), in came the very young Mick Taylor.

it was released in 1968;

John Mayall – vocals, harmonica, piano, harpsichord, organ, harmonium, guitar
Mick Taylor – lead guitar, Hawaiian guitar
Chris Mercer – tenor, baritone saxophone
Dick Heckstall-Smith – tenor, soprano saxophone
Jon Hiseman – drums, percussion
Henry Lowther – cornet, violin
Tony Reeves – string bass, bass guitar

These guys were some of the finest young musicians in England, some were (like Jack Bruce) from a more Jazz background, Mick Taylor who ended up in the Stones is  of course primarily a blues guitarist (par excellence)......Jon Hiseman IMO is one of the finest drummers (along with Bill Brufford) around and his work on this whole album is stunning, Im not a drummer but I love listening to the intricate things he puts into each track.

The album is an introspective, kinda like Plastic Ono Band and the first 22 minutes is a medley of songs (The Bare Wires Suite) that segue kinda like Abbey Rd.

Heres the opening track, Where Did I Belong

JOHN MAYALL - Bare wires - Where did I belong

this track 'I Started walking' gives an idea of the superb Rhythm section and a sublime guitar solo from Mick Taylor (one I have tried to play ever since but still cant)

I STARTED WALKING (1968) by John Mayall's Bluesbreakers featuring Mick Taylor on guitar

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Microscope - Bare Wires, John Mayalls Bluesbreakers
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 01:26:11 AM »

I'll need to give this a good listening to. Sounds interesting.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 01:39:31 AM »

One day at age 14 I visited the home of my 16 year old friend who was lead guitarist in a local band (I saw him as some sort of god as he was doing what I wanted to do) I remember he put this album on for me to hear, Id never heard of John Mayall.......anyway I sat and listened to the whole thing and I can honestly say it had a huge effect on me, Ive never gotten over that magical feeling it gave me, Im 14 again whenever I listen to it....

Im not gonna cover the whole album as I know most on here will never have heard it so this is just a taster for one of my top 5 of all time albums..

Mayall had expanded his line up for this phase, gone was Clapton, Green (to Fleetwood Mac), in came the very young Mick Taylor.

it was released in 1968;

John Mayall – vocals, harmonica, piano, harpsichord, organ, harmonium, guitar
Mick Taylor – lead guitar, Hawaiian guitar
Chris Mercer – tenor, baritone saxophone
Dick Heckstall-Smith – tenor, soprano saxophone
Jon Hiseman – drums, percussion
Henry Lowther – cornet, violin
Tony Reeves – string bass, bass guitar

These guys were some of the finest young musicians in England, some were (like Jack Bruce) from a more Jazz background, Mick Taylor who ended up in the Stones is  of course primarily a blues guitarist (par excellence)......Jon Hiseman IMO is one of the finest drummers (along with Bill Brufford) around and his work on this whole album is stunning, Im not a drummer but I love listening to the intricate things he puts into each track.

The album is an introspective, kinda like Plastic Ono Band and the first 22 minutes is a medley of songs (The Bare Wires Suite) that segue kinda like Abbey Rd.

Heres the opening track, Where Did I Belong

JOHN MAYALL - Bare wires - Where did I belong

this track 'I Started walking' gives an idea of the superb Rhythm section and a sublime guitar solo from Mick Taylor (one I have tried to play ever since but still cant)

I STARTED WALKING (1968) by John Mayall's Bluesbreakers featuring Mick Taylor on guitar

How's it going mate? I hope all is well with you. I am a HUGE JOHN MAYALL fan that owns pretty much all of his albums. I LOVE the BARE WIRES and A HARD ROAD albums, these albums both kick a*s! Then again, pretty much all of JOHN MAYALL'S albums kick a*s!  ha2ha You can really feel the Peter Green influence in Mick Taylor's guitar playing, Mick emulates Peter Green in the BARE WIRES album, Mick plays a mean guitar! What's really something is that when Mick Taylor joined THE STONES in 1969, he brought the Hard Rock Blues sound with him and gave THE STONES a whole new sound. In my opinion, and I mean no disrespect to the late great Brian Jones, but the Mick Taylor years were the best live years for THE STONES. What do you think mate? Here's the live version of "I Started Walking," take care and enjoy.

MICK TAYLOR - Start Walking - live - John Mayall + Bluesbreakers - (great guitarsolo)

nimrod

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 11:39:17 PM »

yes BF, agree with all you say, when Mick was in the Stones they made their best albums IMO...

He introduced a new dimension into them as a band and Keith Richards must sometimes regret being not very nice to him.

Eric Clapton gets tons of plaudits but imo Mick was an equal to him.

The thing is though, with Bare Wires its the album that I most enjoy the drumming on, Jon Hiseman is wonderful & Kevin reeves plays bass so well (with that jazzy inflection)

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 12:41:31 AM »

yes BF, agree with all you say, when Mick was in the Stones they made their best albums IMO...

He introduced a new dimension into them as a band and Keith Richards must sometimes regret being not very nice to him.

Eric Clapton gets tons of plaudits but imo Mick was an equal to him.

The thing is though, with Bare Wires its the album that I most enjoy the drumming on, Jon Hiseman is wonderful & Kevin reeves plays bass so well (with that jazzy inflection)

Hi mate! I'm sure that Keith Richards regrets treating Mick badly, he has too. Mick Taylor saved Keith's a*s on several occasions when Keith was too strung out on heroin to play guitar in the recording studio as well as perform live. In my opinion, I believe that Keith resented Mick Taylor for out playing him on stage. And because of this, Mick Taylor was really an outsider when it came to THE STONES. How sad. What do you think mate? Take care.   

nimrod

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 12:52:30 AM »

Hi mate! I'm sure that Keith Richards regrets treating Mick badly, he has too. Mick Taylor saved Keith's a*s on several occasions when Keith was too strung out on heroin to play guitar in the recording studio as well as perform live. In my opinion, I believe that Keith resented Mick Taylor for out playing him on stage. And because of this, Mick Taylor was really an outsider when it came to THE STONES. How sad. What do you think mate? Take care.

yeah agree, keith didnt like being outplayed by a virtuoso, thats why they got Ron Wood

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 01:05:16 AM »

yeah agree, keith didnt like being outplayed by a virtuoso, thats why they got Ron Wood

Very true mate! In my opinion, Ron Wood can even out play Keith on stage but Ronnie will not do it out of respect for his friend Keith. It is also my opinion that Ronnie was born to be a ROLLING STONE. THE STONES may not rock the way they used to in the late 60's and early 70's but Ronnie is perfect for THE STONES. Ronnie's even a great mediator when Mick Jagger and Keith Richards get into their famous fights. However, Mick and Keith are having one hell of a great fight right now, that's why there is no tour in 2011. This fight is so bad that Ronnie can't bring the peace between the two. Apparently, Mick is mad at Keith for what Keith said about Mick in his (Keith's) new book entitled "LIFE." I hope that Mick and Keith will patch up their differences soon, I would love to see THE STONES on tour in 2012. Take care mate.   

nimrod

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 04:53:38 AM »

Ron is probably the nicest of the band (maybe Charlie) but I dont like the glimmer twins one bit and I wouldnt go to see them for free..

Speaking of Keefs new book I hate the way he speaks of Brian Jones

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 11:26:36 AM »

Ron is probably the nicest of the band (maybe Charlie) but I dont like the glimmer twins one bit and I wouldnt go to see them for free..

Speaking of Keefs new book I hate the way he speaks of Brian Jones

I know a lot of people that feel the same way you do about The Glimmer Twins, my Father is one of them.

I don't know what is wrong with Keith, but he should not talk trash about Brian Jones especially since he is not here to defend himself. In reality, Keith knows that Brian was the heart and soul as well as the backbone for THE STONES in the beginning. Brian was no saint but neither was Keith. Brian would never forgive Keith for stealing Anita Pallenberg from him. Take care.     

nimrod

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 12:40:55 PM »

funny how this has turned into a Stones thread  roll:)

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 09:47:54 PM »

funny how this has turned into a Stones thread  roll:)

ha2ha I think we had better talk on THE STONES thread.

nimrod

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 11:01:07 PM »

I like this album so much for many reasons but one of them is I admire how John Mayall writes these great songs, people think blues songs are easy to write as you have the same progression 1 1V and V, but its actually very hard to come up with good lyrics, Mayall just seems to do this over and over and on this album he sort of introduces Jazz influences so the said progression is more interesting, Ive often wondered if this was the first Blues/Jazz fusion LP

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 11:31:34 PM »

I like this album so much for many reasons but one of them is I admire how John Mayall writes these great songs, people think blues songs are easy to write as you have the same progression 1 1V and V, but its actually very hard to come up with good lyrics, Mayall just seems to do this over and over and on this album he sort of introduces Jazz influences so the said progression is more interesting, Ive often wondered if this was the first Blues/Jazz fusion LP

JOHN MAYALL possesses a VERY RARE talent you do not see very often.

nimrod

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 01:49:24 AM »

JOHN MAYALL possesses a VERY RARE talent you do not see very often.

and like me he's from Manchester  ;yes

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 03:45:08 AM »

and like me he's from Manchester  ;yes

Cool!

Page created in 0.55 seconds with 67 queries.