Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: a very underated lennon song  (Read 10537 times)

KelMar

Re: a very underated lennon song
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 05:56:14 AM »

I am probably kind of naive when it comes to the finer points of musicality (is that a word?) but I am a sucker for a heartrending vocal and this has it. I don't think John gave himself enough credit when it came to his voice.

Johnny Moondog

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 09:35:20 AM »

I love this song. I've always found it quite haunting. I think Ian MacDonald in Revolution in the Head said something about the song having Edgar Allen Poe type imagery, what with the red dress and that. I've always made that association ever since. And I agree, John's vocal is heartrending.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 08:55:36 PM »

It's a word, Kelley.

George's use of the volume pedal gives this song a dream-like feel.  John's plaintive solos jar the listener awake.  I've always liked this song.
I can stay till it's time to go

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 10:19:10 AM »

Never been a big fan of "Yes It Is" myself. The harmonies sound slightly out of tune to me - I think it might be George's vocal which is out.
John's lead vocal is nice though.

The harmonies were spot on in "This Boy" and I like that song much more than "Yes It Is". I think there's a lot more energy and emotion in the recording of "This Boy", while "Yes It Is" sounds lethargic and almost as if they were going through the motions and couldn't be bothered to tidy up the rough edges in the studio.

As for the Ernie Ball question ...

I had a look at the Ernie Ball website and it doesn't mention when the company started making volume pedals. In the early years Ernie Ball ran a guitar shop and then began selling his own "Slinky" brand of electric guitar strings in the mid-60s and that's where he made his name. No mention of pedals in the History section of the site. I don't think they were produced by Ernie Ball until much later, as I can't find any reference to any 1960s Ernie Ball pedals.

There's two other possibilities, though...
Fender had produced a volume pedal (sometimes called a tone pedal) since the mid-50s.
Also, the Beatles had started using a Vox Continental organ by 1965 and there was a volume pedal that came with the organ, so they may have adapted the Vox organ volume pedal for guitar use.

Does anyone have access to the books "Beatles Gear" or "Recording The Beatles"? It will probably say in one of those books which manufacturer made the pedal.

Bobber

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 10:22:59 AM »

Does anyone have access to the books "Beatles Gear" or "Recording The Beatles"? It will probably say in one of those books which manufacturer made the pedal.

I'll have a look tonight.

nimrod

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 11:09:14 AM »

Not one of my favorites

Anyways, how long has Ernie Ball stuff been around? I know of it from the 80's, but i'm not a guitar person at all.

His shops started in the 60's I believe in Hollywood

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 11:28:31 AM »

Never been a big fan of "Yes It Is" myself. The harmonies sound slightly out of tune to me - I think it might be George's vocal which is out.

Been giving this a few more listens and I'm now wondering if it is Paul's vocal which goes out.
For example, on the line "Please don't wear red tonight" I think Paul goes from singing the high note, above John's main vocal, to singing a low note at the bottom of three harmonies when it gets to the word "tonight".
If it is Paul then I suppose he can be forgiven (  ;D ). It's a big leap vocally from the high note to the low one and it must be very hard to pitch that perfectly, even for as good a singer as him.

Does anyone have a transcription of who sings what?

Bobber

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 01:43:34 PM »

I'll have a look tonight.

Recording The Beatles mentions the use of 'George's new volume pedal' for the recording session on 16. February 1965 for Another Girl, I Need You and Yes It Is. There is no mention of a brand. I notice John is on drums (off beat on the 2nd and 4rd beat), just the snare that is.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2011, 12:22:50 AM »

I have to laugh at the term "underrated". Who "rated" it in the first place? What are their qualifications to do so? Are they the end all and be all of what is good?
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2011, 08:43:16 AM »

I have to laugh at the term "underrated". Who "rated" it in the first place? What are their qualifications to do so? Are they the end all and be all of what is good?

Yeah, I think a better term would be "underappreciated" - a song which never seems to get the attention it perhaps deserves.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 12:49:48 AM »

I notice John is on drums (off beat on the 2nd and 4rd beat), just the snare that is.

John played drums on 'Yes It Is'? Thats the first I think i've ever heard that.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2011, 04:32:33 AM »

And I checked Beatles Gear last night.  There were three references to the volume pedal but no manufacturer was specified.
I can stay till it's time to go

Bobber

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2011, 07:16:56 AM »

John played drums on 'Yes It Is'? Thats the first I think i've ever heard that.

Well, he just beats the snare on the second and fourth. I didn't know that either. It seems he even hit the rim at one point.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:06:11 AM by Bobber »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2011, 10:32:36 AM »

It seems he even hit the rim at one point.

Why Cor, why? You know that i'll have to go back and listen to the damn thing again now to see when it happens.

Seriously though, still did not know that John laid down a drum part on tape. Neat to know. Thanks.

Bobber

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2011, 10:38:14 AM »

Relax. It's mentioned in the book if I'm correct. I'll look it up for you. ha2ha

Bobber

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2011, 10:52:28 AM »

And I checked Beatles Gear last night.  There were three references to the volume pedal but no manufacturer was specified.

Found this:
The most basic FX pedal the Beatles have  used, was a volume pedal. It was famously used in their b-side “Yes It Is” Apparently, according to legend, George Harrison wasn’t quite able to play his guitar part and use the volume pedal at the same time, so John Lennon was controlling it instead, with his hand!

Bobber

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2011, 12:44:50 PM »

Relax. It's mentioned in the book if I'm correct. I'll look it up for you. ha2ha

At 1:10.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2011, 01:04:41 PM »

Thanks. Now its up to me to totally forget about all of this by the time I hear the song again.  ha2ha
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.828 seconds with 72 queries.