Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Microscope: McCartney  (Read 22176 times)

Toejam

• A Beginning
Re: Microscope: McCartney
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2011, 09:30:32 AM »

Imuch of the group's great latterday material just wouldn't have got off the ground with the same sort of shape, polish and discipline.

like the White album? Shape, polish and discipline are all words I associatie with the white album ;D
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

chimac

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2011, 12:18:10 AM »

I've always enjoyed McCartney I.  I just don't feel the occasion to play it as often as his better works.  I consider it to be a light and airy confection, as opposed to a "meal".  I believe Paul intended it as such.  For me, it was his "this is who I am at home" album.  Just another means for him to step out of the Beatles as an individual, and notable by its completely ANTI-political tone, which is how John had decided to separate himself.  Tossed off and imperfect, even "half-assed", I think it accomplished its purpose:  it got Paul a vehicle out of the Beatles. 

Paul wasn't in the mindset at the time to do a "produced" album, with months and months of work involved.  He needed something tangible out there quick that said "Paul McCartney" on it.  As an artistic work it hasn't much merit, except "it's the album 'Maybe I'm Amazed' is on".  Still, Paul has made it clear throughout the entirety of his career that he wants to be able to do both polished works (Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road, Ram, Band on the Run, etc) and stuff he whipped together in his basement (McCartney, McCartney II, first 2 Fireman albums, etc).  And, he wants to do either as the mood strikes him!  As fans this can drive us nuts, but there is a certain integrity to it.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2011, 08:58:04 AM »

I've always enjoyed McCartney I.  I just don't feel the occasion to play it as often as his better works.  I consider it to be a light and airy confection, as opposed to a "meal".  I believe Paul intended it as such.  For me, it was his "this is who I am at home" album.  Just another means for him to step out of the Beatles as an individual, and notable by its completely ANTI-political tone, which is how John had decided to separate himself.  Tossed off and imperfect, even "half-assed", I think it accomplished its purpose:  it got Paul a vehicle out of the Beatles. 

Paul wasn't in the mindset at the time to do a "produced" album, with months and months of work involved.  He needed something tangible out there quick that said "Paul McCartney" on it.  As an artistic work it hasn't much merit, except "it's the album 'Maybe I'm Amazed' is on".  Still, Paul has made it clear throughout the entirety of his career that he wants to be able to do both polished works (Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road, Ram, Band on the Run, etc) and stuff he whipped together in his basement (McCartney, McCartney II, first 2 Fireman albums, etc).  And, he wants to do either as the mood strikes him!  As fans this can drive us nuts, but there is a certain integrity to it.
nice post,chimac.welcome to the forum. ;)
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2011, 11:33:35 PM »

For me, it was his "this is who I am at home" album.

Nicely said. That outlook lifyed some of my dislike of the album. I never thought about it like that.

nimrod

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2011, 12:33:32 AM »

Nicely said. That outlook lifyed some of my dislike of the album. I never thought about it like that.

think thats what Ive been struggling to say all through this thread  ha2ha

Bobber

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2011, 12:08:13 PM »

I'll be dealing with Ram in a couple of days.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2011, 01:00:27 AM »

I'll be dealing with Ram in a couple of days.

I'm anxiously awaiting.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2011, 06:02:27 AM »

I've always wondered what Maybe I'm Amazed would have sounded like if the Beatles had recorded it with George Martin as producer.  Oh, the possibilities...

Junk is a funny thing because you describe it as not something you'd put in a "Best of Paul McCartney" list.  I gave my friend several McCartney compilations, and Junk was one of the stand-outs for him.  Crazy how tastes can be so different.

This is a nice little album to listen to and has some true stand-outs.  Besides the obvious Maybe I'm Amazed would be Hot as Sun/Glasses as a great little tune with a cool, kind of creepy sound at the end.

nimrod

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2012, 01:07:10 AM »

I just re listened to this album again and Ive tried to work out why I prefer it to his other post Beatle stuff

conclusion = Ive no idea

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2012, 04:57:54 AM »

conclusion = Ive no idea

No need for a reason. Thats the beauty in music. Everybody has their own flavor.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.943 seconds with 53 queries.