Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Famous Star or Rock Legend?  (Read 14203 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Famous Star or Rock Legend?
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2004, 02:28:53 AM »

Where did this discusssion go? LOL! I may step down and let Ssarah and Maria have the floor!

When I say Paul is in the business of being Beatle Paul, I mean as a money-making concern. He now plays an awful lot of Beatle songs at his concerts, many more than he used to. He once said he would not do any!

As far as I know,,,,all the ex-beatles played beatle songs at thier concerts. Ok, Paul is a shrewd businessman,,,,so what. As far as I know, he's one of the top (if not the) money makers of any rocker. He's knows his craft and does it well. Whats the point? He maybe once said that he wouldnt do any beatle songs in his concerts (I dont have that info in front of me) so he changed his mind. He probably was the last beatle to incorporate any beatle songs in his set list, but I dont know this for sure. Whatever!

You and I will have to agree to differ about Paul's and George's merits

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2004, 05:09:05 AM »

[quote by=tkitna link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1082387341,s=20 date=1082600933]Where did this discusssion go? LOL! I may step down and let Ssarah and Maria have the floor!

You have yet to show me the 'quality' on your side. I'm interested in your opinions. Every artist has quantity![/quote]

That girl misses the point so often. LOL indeed!

Anyway, I've been thinking about the "quality" angle. I don't feel like going into a chapter and verse thing with say, George, trying to show how Paul doesn't measure up. It seems a bit petty. Instead, I'll try this angle.

John Lennon and George Harrison, even at low ebbs, always seemed to be trying to say something with their music. George was often accused of preaching, but a closer listen reveals a man simply searching for truth

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2004, 12:30:12 PM »

[quote by=Maria link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1082387341,s=21 date=1082610545]
John Lennon and George Harrison, even at low ebbs, always seemed to be trying to say something with their music. George was often accused of preaching, but a closer listen reveals a man simply searching for truth

Ssarah

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2004, 01:51:41 PM »

Ok Tk and Maria=) I will stop posting in this thread, Its all yours.
Beatle Ssarah on the forum,
Everyday she posts some more on.
Sometimes triv and sometimes questions,
Chooses tracks and lists the best uns!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2004, 06:45:29 PM »

[quote by=Ssarah link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1082387341,s=23 date=1082641901]Ok Tk and Maria=) I will stop posting in this thread, Its all yours. [/quote]

Ssarah, darling,,,,you better not be upset with me! I meant nothing bad. Maria kind of twisted the meaning of my post. You can chime in anytime with one of my posts.

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2004, 09:11:14 PM »

If I seemed to twist the meaning, maybe that's because it wasn't clear in the first place!

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2004, 09:31:55 PM »

[quote by=tkitna link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1082387341,s=22 date=1082637012]
Regarding your statement about John and George always attempting to say something with their music (in the big picture but not always) well thats alright. I personally have a problem with this sometimes (as does the general public). I love John and Georges music, but i'm not really interested in their political and religious point of views. They almost seem to push it on you (John especially).

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2004, 04:16:44 PM »

[quote by=Maria link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1082387341,s=26 date=1082669515]

I don't care what the general public thinks: see, there's that popularity angle again. Paul went for the popularity thing, George and John much less so.

I'm not interested in their views per se (I mean, why should a musician's views on Ireland be any more valid then anyone elses?). But, I AM interested in how they express it. Lyrics, certainly. Music, certainly. Two examples: I think that Hear Me Lord, as it is on ATMP is a wonderful prayer, a quite classic plea from George to his God. (I am not a believer of any description, btw.) Next, Gimmee Some Truth, although full of slogans, is arranged quite brilliantly: perfectly done, and lifting what could have been a banal effort to unexpected heights.[/quote]

I see what your saying. I almost broke out the entire McCartney catalog just to post some songs that i thought were meaningful and that had something to say, but I didnt. At this point of the conversation, its pretty clear we have two different views of what music is about. I just watched a video of Jim Croce with a friend and every song told a story. My problem is, I was bored stiff after the second song. Two guitars is nice sometimes. I just dont want a steady dose no matter what the songs saying. My point is, you could be the greatest storyteller in the world and if your music bores me,,,it bores me. I cant help that.

To answer the last point above: Yes, a song that doesn't say anything is aural wallpaper.

So you dont enjoy any instrumentals? None? You dont enjoy George jamming with Derick & the Dominos on ATMP. Your right,,it must be aural wallpaper.

Paul never stooped to that level??!!

Remember that question-and-answer press release issued by Macca at the time of McCartney(1) in 1970? He piled a lot of put-downs on Beatles in that document: and it was just a tool to sell a record. Ugh.

Yeah, I remeber it. I suppose your right, but wouldnt you think that McCartney would have put something out better than 'McCartney' if he wanted to show the world how good he was? Honestly, the record was done on a four tracks by him. I'm sure you heard it. Most of the songs sound like they were recorded underwater. Paul knew he didnt have a masterpiece there. (I still think its pretty incredible that got "Maybe i'm Amazed" out of those sessions).

And Paul in song? Oh yes: check out Too Many People and 3 Legs. Quite nasty in parts, I thought.

Those songs could have been alot nastier if he intended, but i'll agree with you.

HOWEVER, I don't mind that much. Wherever you get the inspiration from, it doesn't matter

Wayne L.

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2004, 07:53:55 PM »

Paul is a rock legend in every sense of the word even though as a solo artist for over 30 years he has released some of the greatest pop, rock & schlock ever recorded as well as keeping a high profile as a famous star because he has stayed in the mainstream without going over the edge musically!!!

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2004, 10:53:49 PM »

When Paul dies he'll probably be consitered a rock legend.

SieLiebtDich

• A Thousand Pages
  • ("\(#^_^)/")
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2004, 12:00:45 AM »

[quote by=dr.Robert link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1082387341,s=29 date=1082933629]When Paul dies he'll probably be consitered a rock legend.[/quote]

I don't know but i think he is  ;D

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2004, 12:18:47 AM »

This thread reminds me of how much I do NOT miss that Maria. And I do consider Paul to be a rock legend, John George and Paul were all rock legends.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2004, 12:42:07 AM »

Really? I just read it, it was a terrific debate and I'll bet that tk enjoyed it.  Debate like that is good for a forum, and that made for great reading.

To add my 2 cents, I feel Paul has moved away from his rock roots into more pop region.  It often amazes me that the man who wrote and recorded 'Get Back' and "Let it Be" just a few months before turned out such a weak solo effort.  I think Paul lost a lot of confidence going out on his own, but he did and Wings is regarded as succesful.  But back to the point, i agree more with tk, that music that is enjoyable is most important.  Take Bob Dylan for example, one of the few songs of his I enjoy ids Like A Rolling Stone, which is attractive immediately because of its jangling spirit.  Only after a few listens do the lyrics stick.  I think the music is definately most important, but lyrical statements enhance it to the level of classic.  Unfortunately solo McCartney often lacked that, but he is doubtless a rock legend.  I dont see how that can be disputed.

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2004, 12:49:02 AM »

I think it's true that he needed John to push him to make a good record. They always had a rivalry among each other, and when the band broke up it was strengthed. They were always trying to outdo each other.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2004, 12:58:54 AM »

Well Paul did alright for himself during the 'Lost Weekend', nothing motivating him there...and i think if the motivation to outdo each other was as stroung in the solo years as it had been with the Beatles there would be better solo music.  However it is the rare solo work that compares t Beatles.

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2004, 02:33:58 PM »

We have to be realistic and say that although the Solo Careers might be viewed as successful, they were never going to carry the wealth of talent that 'The Beatles' generated.
 This said, I think Mccartney is often viewed as part of the elite* godfathers of Popular Music. The Famous star tag will obviously be attatched, I think you cant have one and not the other..its a simple formula..after all..its the commercial appeal which makes you famous* (in the Beatles sense)

People with a clue, will see him as a Music Legend :)
I dont like using the term rock* because it seems too narrow in the music-sense.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2004, 03:32:51 AM »

How on earth could Paul NOT be considered a legend?? He was part of the Beatles for Gods sake! He helped changed the face of music as we know it. This is unquestionable.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2004, 02:11:52 PM »

I just reread the whole thread and have to admit that it was enjoyable. I wish there were more of those debates around here.

I had to laugh about my ignorance during some of it though. I thought 'Harrisong' was an actual song back then. Too funny.

I'll also go out and admit that I enjoyed Maria being around. She had loads of knowledge to share, but unfortunately she kind of went overboard there at the end with the Kolarski and Frightwolf ordeal. Oh well.

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2004, 02:17:17 AM »

Yes, she did.

Of course Paul is a legend.  The Beatles were a legend then and now.  He and Ringo are living legends.  No amount of tepid solo success will ever erase the decade of brilliance with the Beatles.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2004, 02:38:54 AM »

EXACTLY!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 80 queries.