Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Paul About Pipes Of Peace  (Read 4758 times)

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
Re: Paul About Pipes Of Peace
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 09:28:32 AM »

Three things I didn't expect to see in the same sentence.
'Pipes of Peace', 'classic' and '1983'.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 11:48:33 AM »

Being somebodys favorite record was another thing I didn't expect to see.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 12:42:02 PM »

Yes I thought pretty much the consensus was that Pipes of Peace was the yin to Tug of Wars yang. And not good yin.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 04:07:09 PM »

Unfortunately I don't care much for Macca in the 80's.  Maybe the odd song from each album, but absolutely love his 1970-1977 Wings/Solo era  icon_king
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 05:40:37 PM »

I just thought I'd share some information.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 09:31:12 PM »

I just thought I'd share some information.

And we're glad you did. I for one haven't had the chance to slag off Pipes of Peace for years.  ;D

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 10:49:10 PM »

Never understood the poison aimed at the album to be honest. It's Paul being very Paul. There's an element of tweeness in there but I think almost anything attempting to follow up the fabulous "Tug Of War" would be on a hiding to nothing, although I for one would rather listen to "Say Say Say" over "Ebony And Ivory" every time!

Honestly, I find it hard to pick out a really bad track on "Pipes Of Peace". The title song deserved to hit the number one spot and so it did. There's a strong sense of melody throughout the album and songs which might have dissolved into mushy schmaltz in lesser hands (the achingly simple but poignant "So Bad") are deftly handled with aplomb by McCartney in the way that only he can. "Keep Under Cover" is comfortably on a par with virtually anything from "Tug Of War" and could easily have been lifted from that album.

The cover's a bit poncey and pretentious but most of the music within holds up pretty well in my opinion. Macca's 1980s surely went a lot more sour than this. By comparison the follow-up was a largely cobbled together cop-out of Beatle re-recordings padded around a repetitive single, and as for the truly grim "Press To Play"....let's not go there!!!

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 11:46:54 PM »

Call me an old curmudgeon but the title track lost me at the cute children's choir.

KelMar

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 12:30:39 AM »

I know it's pretty lemming-like but I was content with the Paul singles on the radio. I did own and love "Band on the Run" and I received "London Town" as a gift but most of the songs don't look familiar anymore. I should probably be a good fan and listen to the rest of his offerings.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 02:02:55 PM »

Never understood the poison aimed at the album to be honest. It's Paul being very Paul. There's an element of tweeness in there but I think almost anything attempting to follow up the fabulous "Tug Of War" would be on a hiding to nothing, although I for one would rather listen to "Say Say Say" over "Ebony And Ivory" every time!

Honestly, I find it hard to pick out a really bad track on "Pipes Of Peace". The title song deserved to hit the number one spot and so it did. There's a strong sense of melody throughout the album and songs which might have dissolved into mushy schmaltz in lesser hands (the achingly simple but poignant "So Bad") are deftly handled with aplomb by McCartney in the way that only he can. "Keep Under Cover" is comfortably on a par with virtually anything from "Tug Of War" and could easily have been lifted from that album.

The cover's a bit poncey and pretentious but most of the music within holds up pretty well in my opinion. Macca's 1980s surely went a lot more sour than this. By comparison the follow-up was a largely cobbled together cop-out of Beatle re-recordings padded around a repetitive single, and as for the truly grim "Press To Play"....let's not go there!!!

I knew there was somebody on here that liked 'Pipes' and despised 'Press' but I couldn't remember exactly who for some reason and its Mr.M.   ha2ha  Where I enjoy a good bit off of 'Press' I hate 'Pipes Of Peace'.  I think its his 2nd worse album ever right behind 'Macca 2'.  Oh well, difference in musical tastes is a beautiful thing.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 03:34:54 PM »

The day that 'Pipes of Peace' gets described as a 'classic', is the day the meaning of the word loses all credibility.
One might as well give a five star review to every pop album made since 1956!

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 11:42:17 PM »

Oh well, difference in musical tastes is a beautiful thing.

I'll second that  ;)

I've always held your opinion in high regard Todd but I've got to admit I like McCartney II - though not as much nowadays as I did when it was released. You've got me wondering now what I would choose as my own two worst McCartney albums... "Press" undoubtedly one, I'll have to think about the other....

The day that 'Pipes of Peace' gets described as a 'classic', is the day the meaning of the word loses all credibility.

I agree obs, whilst I quite like the album, referring to it as a "classic" is stretching things way out of all proportion. Devalues the whole currency of the word, just as that other overused epithet which gets on my nerves, describing any old Z lister or two-bit reality show wannabe as a "Legend". Ridiculous!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 12:17:59 AM »

I've always held your opinion in high regard Todd but I've got to admit I like McCartney II -

You know Mr.M, I think I need to soften my stance a tad and use phases like 'I don't like it' or 'its just not my cup of tea' rather then outright stating its bad.  I just think I don't care for that 80's techno, heavy production stuff and that's why 'Macca 2' and 'Pipes' fails with me.  'Press' has some of it too, but not to such a degree in my opinion.  Heck, the Pretty Things did an 80's album called 'Cross Talk' and while its expertly done and gets decent reviews, I don't care for it.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 01:12:47 AM »

Mc2 didn't appeal to me either. One of These Days was a nice song. And was less heavy on the 80s production. Coming Up was better in the live version in my opinion. Nothing of the rest of the album I ever felt like revisiting. And if Temporary Secretary ever assaults my ears I take evasive action.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 02:04:42 PM »

Exactly.  We all love Macca, but even he is allowed to make some stinkers!  ;sorry
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Pothos

• A Beginning
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 10:33:18 AM »

BBC 6 Music broadcast a little piece yesterday with James Dean Bradfield interviewing Paul.

Here is the link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0355xjb

Page created in 1.352 seconds with 72 queries.