Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Beatles under a microscope - Rubber Soul  (Read 41754 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Beatles under a microscope - Rubber Soul
« on: April 20, 2011, 04:36:01 PM »

Rubber Soul

Finally got around to reviewing this album. I think its leaps and bounds better than HELP!. They were on a roll and it shows. Its not perfect and probably ranks around the 4th or 5th favorite Beatle album of mine, but its good.

Drive My Car - I’ve taken more abuse being a Beatle fan for this song more so than any other it seems. Its downright silly and people call me on it all the time. It starts the album with an upbeat number and some energy, but its almost as if it’s a novelty song. First thing is the bass is super cool. Paul does well. Guitar tone is decent too. I like the tambourine throughout, but the cowbell starts to get under my skin really fast. Its too much. I like the piano. :30 mark I love how Johns voice comes in with the ‘Baby I Love You’. Background vocals are solid. Guitar solo is alright, but nothing great. I do like how it ends with the delayed notes though. Was that a Paul solo or George? I cant remember right now. Ringo does well enough. 1:42 you can hear a guitar lead faintly in the background. 2:18 I like the lead guitar notes being played. So far the review isn’t that bad, BUT the ‘Beep Beep Beep Beep Yeahs’ are horrible. They kill the song for me. They make the song annoying and thus why other people make fun of it. I cant blame them.

Norwegian Wood - Here’s a really good song that I’ve been really sick of for a long time. Fortunately, I havent heard it in a long time and it sounded refreshing today. Love the acoustic guitar sound. Johns voice is killer. The sitar sounds nice too. Bass is out there in the forefront and sounds good. :31 mark I love Pauls backgrounds. :47 I think the sitar buzz throughout the following verses adds a lot and is a nice touch. 1:19 Ringo comes in with just the bass drum and it adds so much. Great touch. Great song with a nice little story to it if your into those type of things.

You Wont See Me - My guilty pleasure and my favorite song on the album. Its not the best song on the record, but hey, what can I do? I really like the beginning and the space and sound that the crash cymbals take up. :02 mark somebody coughs in the background. I really like the added hi hats on top of the drum track. Neat. Piano is cool. I like the sound of the guitar strums throughout also. Harmonies are top notch here. 1:31 Johns voice is awesome. Bass sounds good. Ringo rocks throughout. The falsetto ‘La La La’s’ are a bit much for me. John seems to struggle towards the end of them also. 2:32 somebody says something in the background. 3:05 I love the ‘Yeah’ and background stuff going on.

Nowhere Man - The Beatles very last early sounding song in my opinion. This would have fit nicely on ‘AHDN’. Has always been one of my favorites too. The harmonies don’t get much better than this. The acoustic and bass together sounds awesome. The ‘La La’s’ here sound great. I dig the guitar tone. The guitar solo is fantastic. Love the high guitar note at 1:02. Sweet. Speaking of the bass earlier, man Paul really rocks on this song. Never really noticed that before. Love Pauls voice at the end too. Another great song.

Think For Yourself - A slight drop in quality here with regard to the other songs, but still an enjoyable tune. I really like Georges voice on this song. Background vocals rock. The fuzz bass aggravates me. I don’t like the sound. Too busy in my opinion. I dig the tambourine and morocco’s throughout. Ringo has some nice fills in this song. The production on Ringos drums is awesome. They really sound good. Speaking of Ringo, he hit’s the rim at the end of a fill at the 1:57 mark. We drummers all do it, but just thought I’d mention it. Nice enough song, but nothing special. Leaning towards filler.

The Word - I think this is the Beatles first psychedelic song whether it was meant to be or not. The bass is awesome. Like the morocco’s throughout. Harmonies are cool, but they arent tight throughout the song. Makes me wonder if they spent a lot of time with this one. 0:28 Johns voice sounds great. Like the electric guitar tone, both the strums and other playing. Not thrilled with the electric organ sound or whatever the hell it is they are playing, but its what gives the song the psychedelic feel. Decent song, but theres better on this album.

Michelle - I used to hate this song when I was younger, but now I’m alright with it. If you are a girl and your name is Michelle, how many times has this song been sung to you throughout your lifetime? I never dated a Michelle so I never had the pleasure of doing so. I count myself lucky. Anyways, I love the acoustic guitar sound. Bass is nice. Pauls voice is top notch here. John and George’s backgrounds are great. Ringo’s constant rim shots during the song kind of annoy me. I would have changed it up a little and went to the snare some, but then once again, I’m not Ringo Starr. It definitely works, its just not my taste. Love the guitar solo. Awesome. Fade out ending was nice. It’s a nice song and somewhat legendary, but its not a favorite.

What Goes On - Ahhh, the album killer. This song is bad. Not just bad, its terrible. It brings the album down an entire point its so bad in my opinion. I love Ringo and I know the guys cater to him with a song or two, but at least try. The guitars are horrible throughout the entire song. Sloppy and resemble a huge pile of puke. Ringo does play a hard shuffle though. I hate John and George’s backgrounds. Paul might have been in there too, but I cant hear him. The guitar solo is embarrassing. 1:28 you can hear a voice in the background. 1:49 the song speeds up and its obvious. Might have been the studio, but I think its Ringo trying to keep up with the terrible guitar playing. One of the lamest songs the Beatles have ever done.

Girl - Michelles twin sister. I used to hate this song too when I was younger, but its not bad now. I love Johns voice. Backgrounds are awesome. Acoustic guitar sounds great. I dig the part where John seems to be taking a hit off a joint. The ’tit tit tit tit tit tit’ throughout the chorus is neat and ok I suppose. 1:30 mark I like the acoustic guitar playing here. Adds a lot. 1:52 mark theres two quick guitar notes in the background. They are faint, but its cool. 2:00 love how the song breaks out into some kind of Russian tune. All I ever think of is some guy kicking his legs out with his arms crossed. Nice enough song. Most people think higher of it than I do.

I’m Looking Through You - Now here’s a song I used to like a lot more than I do now. Its still a good song, its just I’m not so hung up on it. I like the acoustic guitar. The constant knee slapping sucks though. It wasn’t needed. 0:27 I hate the electric piano and guitar together. I love Pauls double tracked voice. 0:48 guitar part makes the song in my opinion. Add the 1:02 mark to that previous statement too. At the 1:07 mark though, you can hear guitar in the background and it seems to stay that way for the rest of the song. I don’t dig that. 1:18 theres a squeal in the mike. 1:24 Ringo misses a snare hit. Weird, but he just doesn’t play it. I still like this song.

In My Life - This song gets a ton of hype it seems. I think its great too, but maybe not up to par with other peoples opinions. The harmonies are awesome. Like the guitar tone. :28 they play something that sounds like a triangle or higher pitched tambourine that I don’t care for right before Ringo comes in with the snare and ride. Never really noticed that before. The electric piano solo wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. Actually its really well played. 1:47 dig the guitar note played there. John barely pulls off the falsetto ending. His voice started to crack. All in all, the song is really good. I always thought it was John trying to write a Yesterday though.

Wait - I’ve always liked this song although I don’t think its much more than filler. It’s the first Beatle song I properly learned on the drums when I was young. I love the tambourine and morocco’s in the beginning. The volume control effect guitars annoy me. 1:16 love Pauls voice when it comes in here. Background vocals are sloppy throughout the entire song. The ending is cool. Good song, but nothing great.

If I Needed Someone - George’s first really good song in my opinion. I never seem to tire of this song. If its not in my top 10 Beatle songs, its scrapping to get in. Love the guitar sound. Bass is great. Backgrounds are awesome. Did I say this was a good song yet? :37 love George’s double tracked voice. 1:07 here is where the song was either won or lost with me. Instead of doing some traditional middle break with a guitar solo, George got innovative and went with background harmonies and a guitar that followed the scope of the song. I thought that was super cool. Speaking of the background harmonies the ’Ah’s’ are awesome. Tambourine filled some space nicely. Love the song.

Run For Your Life - Here’s a song that seems to get lambasted by Beatle fans for some reason. This song (along with Dr. Robert) always seems to find the Beatles most hated lists. Its not great by any means, but I don’t feel it should receive some of the negative feedback it gets. First off, as you can probably see by now, I’m a fan of the Beatles use of the tambourine. They use that instrument in such a tasteful way on most songs that its hard to find fault. I think it’s a lost instrument in todays music. Anyways, its not just nice here, its an absolute must. Its fills out enough space that the song can get by. It would be to bare without it. Love the acoustic guitar sound while the electric guitar strums at the same time. Ringos beat is infectious and the bass foot is hard to do clean. Guitar solo is good. Johns voice is good and convincing here. The backgrounds get a little high for my taste though. 2:07 Johns ’No No No’ makes the song for me. Its obvious I like this song more than most people do. Its pretty average, but an average Beatles song is better than most others.

There you have it. Great album that loses some points for a few mediocre songs and one really bad one. Its easily the best they’ve done to date and it’s a nice stepping stone for the one to come next. 
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

peterbell1

• Getting Better
Re: Beatles under a microscope - Rubber Soul
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 05:35:54 PM »

I think John was at a real high point here (probably literally!). Songs like Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man, In My Life, Girl - all fantastic tunes and not really the Lennon rockers of old. A lot of acoustic guitar, nice melodies, cool lyrics (none of the "I love you, you love me" stuff).

The Paul songs are OK but I think his are just a bit below John's standard here.

I agree about If I Needed Someone - I love it. George surpasses himself there. Love the 12-string Rickenbacker sound. He out-Byrds the Byrds!

And I also agree about What Goes On - I can't stand it.
It is unfeasibly bad - it does spoil the whole flow of the album, just like Yellow Sub on Revolver (sorry Ringo!)

Lose that song and maybe Run For Your Life, then add in Day Tripper and We Can Work It Out, which were recorded around the same time as the LP, and you would have a record that I would give six stars out of five!!  ;D

And a note about the cover - how cool do they look!?! Not just the front cover, but on the back as well.  8)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 07:52:18 PM »

Rubber Soul, what a great record. It's my very favourite Beatles album and probably my very favourite album by any artist. I like every song, even "What Goes On" which seems to be the second part of "Act Naturally", but much better.

I think that this record was heavily inspired by the Byrds' debut album Mr. Tambourine Man, another folk rock masterpiece. George's "If I Needed Someone" is the obvious example, not only for the 12-string guitar sound but also for the harmony vocals, almost a carbon copy of "The Bells Of Rhymney" (George even wrote a letter to the Byrds admiting this). But the whole album have that folk rock sound that reminds me to the Byrds, with the magical Beatles' touch, of course. Paul's unusual anti-love songs ("You Won't See Me" and "I'm Looking Through You") seem to be inspired in theme by Gene Clark's "I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better", even though things weren't going so good with Jane Asher. The drumming and the use of tambourine in almost every track, they were very Byrdish too. Even the sitar may have been there because David Crosby introduced Ravi Shankar's music to George. I think this opening of mind of the Beatles to others' music was one of the reasons that made them get better, instead of repeating themselves all the time until death as other artists usually do.

Some points to add about the songs:

Drive My Car. Love this song, the perfect opening track. I love the "beep beeps", I don't care what others say about it; it reminds me to the innocense of the early days but inside a more mature framework. The guitar solo was played by Paul, it was a slide guitar I think. George also played guitar, repeating the amazing bass lines of Paul.

Norwegian Wood. Probably the best song in the album, which is saying a lot. Ringo is not only on bass drum, but also on tambourine during the second half of the song.

Nowhere Man. Another gem. Very spiritual song, about the inner loneliness that many people may feel at some point of their lives. Love the guitar solo, apparently it was recorded to get a very treble sound.

The Word. I agree that this could be the first psychedelic Beatles' song, though more because of the colorful lyrics about universal love than the music. I always feel great when I listen to this song, it's like my pot subtitute.

In My Life. The classic piano solo of this great song was played at half-speed when it was recorded and then the tape was played at double-speed to get that baroque sound.

Wait. This track was an actual filler because it was recorded during the Help! sessions and used here at last time because they needed one more song. They added some details like more percussions, getting a decent recording. George's tone pedal guitar makes the song in my opinion.

Run For Your Life. This may have been the last song of side-B because John hated it (though it seemed to be a favourite of George). Still, it was the first song recorded during the sessions (excluding "Wait"), and John's vocal is just great.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:11:11 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 08:13:45 PM »

Great reviews, I agree with most of them.

Girl has always been one of my favourite Beatles songs. It is so simple, so "Beatlish", I don't know, I just have this feeling when I listen to it, they didn't worked their ass off to produce it, neither to write the lyrics, it's just John saying a simple story. The "Is there anybody going to listen to my story" beggining is brilliant, it gets me every time.
You can never hear that kind of lyrics (the "is there anybody..." one) in a Led Zeppelin song or in a Pink Floyd one, it's just the fact that they were not taking themselves too seriously, and that's what I love about the Beatles.

Wait and What Goes On are the weakest songs to me. I pretty much like the rest of the album, with In My Life and Girl tied for the best song, and the rest of the album except the two ones I mentioned below for good songs.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 11:46:27 PM »

great album, agree with most if not all the comments.  Has a mood about it that is perfect.

Also produced the base for one of the best (IMO) covers from the catalog.  Paul Westerberg's version of Nowhere Man from the I am Sam soundtrack is amazingly good.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 11:50:53 PM »

I’m Looking Through You - I grew up with the original United States Capitol stereo LP release of Rubber Soul.  This album has the "false starts..."

Beatles - I'm Looking Through You (False Start) - From U.S. Version of Rubber Soul

The US LP has the following songs:

Side one

1. "I've Just Seen a Face"    
2. "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)"  
3. "You Won't See Me"    
4. "Think for Yourself"  
5. "The Word"  
6. "Michelle"    

Side two

1. "It's Only Love"  
2. "Girl"    
3. "I'm Looking Through You"    
4. "In My Life"    
5. "Wait"    
6. "Run for Your Life"

It wasn't until CDs became available in 1987 that I heard the UK album format.

I've always liked this song and have played it on guitar with these "false starts."  To me they were something like a count-in for the song.  I've always liked The Beatles' clap tracks and the one in this song is no exception.  And I was happy that the microphone squeal was left in.  I'm not sure how advanced recording technology was in 1965.  Perhaps the squeal could not be eliminated or maybe The Beatles wanted it there.  The Beach Boys were leaving coughs and banter in their recorded tracks at the time too.

As much as I like this song, when I first heard "take 1" all that changed...

The Beatles - I'm Looking Through You (Take 1)

I prefered this bluesy version to the released version.  It's too polished to be just an early take and perhaps The Beatles considered releasing it.  I know some people like the "why tell me whys" but this version is edgy and has great guitar solos.  Paul really lets his feelings out in this version.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 12:49:29 AM by Hello Goodbye »
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 12:29:29 AM »

I like the first take version too. I also have the US LP and love the false start. Wish the UK record had it on it.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 01:39:53 AM »

I'll put some songs from the Byrds' Mr. Tambourine Man album just to point out its influence on Rubber Soul.

The Bells Of Rhymney. Guitar intro and harmony vocals in "If I Needed Someone".

THE BYRDS- "THE BELLS OF RHYMNEY"

I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better. Anti-love theme in "You Won't See Me" and "I'm Looking Through You".

The Byrds - I'll Feel A whole Lot Better (Remastered)

I Knew I'd Want You. Folk ballad similar to "Norwegian Wood".

The Byrds-"I Knew I'd Want You"-5/8/65

It's No Use. Intro (guitar-bass-drums) and soft rock style of "Drive My Car".

It's No Use - The Byrds (1965)

Even the album cover has a distorted effect like Rubber Soul:

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:41:35 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 02:40:58 AM »

Nowhere Man - The Beatles very last early sounding song in my opinion. This would have fit nicely on ‘AHDN’. Has always been one of my favorites too. The harmonies don’t get much better than this. The acoustic and bass together sounds awesome. The ‘La La’s’ here sound great. I dig the guitar tone. The guitar solo is fantastic. Love the high guitar note at 1:02. Sweet. Speaking of the bass earlier, man Paul really rocks on this song. Never really noticed that before. Love Pauls voice at the end too. Another great song.

Nowhere Man - I love this song too and it's one of my favorites on this album.  We, here in the United States, had to wait until June, 1966 until it was released on “Yesterday” ...and Today.  

I feel a bit differently than you do about this song, tkitna.  I feel it was one of their first new-sounding songs.  Nowhere Man had nothing to do with love.  When I first heard it in the fall of 1965, I considered it a special song and I knew we were going to soon see a very different Beatles album.  And we did.  I had to buy the 45 RPM, which had What Goes On on the B side, to supplement my US version Rubber Soul.

I liked John's solo vocal and Paul and George's back up vocals.  And I too liked George's lead guitar.  I was just old enough at the time to understand the meaning of this song.  Today I associate Nowhere Man with my transition from adolescence to young adulthood.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 04:37:35 AM »

What Goes On - Ahhh, the album killer.

Well, at least it didn't kill the Capitol Rubber Soul album.  It wasn't on it.  ;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 02:55:37 PM »

Drive My Car - For the United States, this was the first song on side 1 of the "Yesterday” ...and Today album.  It's a fun way to start off a record album.  At the time of its release, I was a little too young to catch the sexual inuendo.  When I finally did, I just laughed and remarked to myself that this was just something else The Beatles managed to put between the lines as would be evidenced many times thereafter.

I like the guitar riffs and vocals.  So does a local FM radio station that uses a segment of the song to introduce their traffic reports.  It's the Beep Beep Beep Beep Yeah! and subsequent guitar riff, tkitna.  And this has been going on now for years, so when I hear the song in its entirety I naturally appreciate that vocal more.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 12:14:00 AM »

In My Life - This has been my favorite Beatles song for the longest time.  John was in a very reflective mood when he wrote this one.  At the time of its composition he expressed feelings not usually evident in songwriters of his vintage.  The beauty of this song is that it has taken on different meanings as I've grown older.

Everything fits together in this song: vocals, harmonies, guitar, bass, drums, piano, everything.  The slight crack in John's voice at the end belongs there.  It's an emotional moment for the singer.  The closing chord and its slight buzz made for a beautiful ending to a beautiful song.  It took me a while to get that buzz just right on my Country Gentleman.

I think In My Life should be listened to in mono to be fully appreciated.

THE BEATLES Remasters! /// 11. In My Life - (RUBBER SOUL) - (MONO Remastered 2009)

nimrod

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 02:03:09 AM »

In My Life - This has been my favorite Beatles song for the longest time.  John was in a very reflective mood when he wrote this one.  

I believe it was joint effort by John & Paul, Paul writing much of the melody..

I was recently amazed to discover that Paul wrote Wait, I always thought that was a John song, apparently he wrote it when in the Bahama's filming Help.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 02:16:23 AM »

Michelle - Here's a song that I finally learned how to play correctly on guitar when I was taking delta blues lessons from Ian Buchanan.  He watched me as I was warming up for a lesson one evening and said "No, play it like this."  He wasn't a Beatles fan but he knew, note for note, how it was played in the finger-picking style The Beatles used.

This is a gorgeous song with a beautiful guitar lead in and solo section.  Paul's voice is superb and John and George's backup vocals and harmony are beautiful.  I'll never tire of listening to or playing this song.  Any girl named Michelle should be ecstatic that such a song exists.  Well, except for my sister's friend Michelle who, years ago, I tried to impress by playing her the song.  And I really played my best too.  "That's nice," she said "but your sister and I have to get going to the Bowie concert now.  Bye!"

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 02:18:33 AM »

Well, I learn something new every day, nimrod.  And about Wait too.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 02:50:56 AM »

I believe it was joint effort by John & Paul, Paul writing much of the melody..

I was recently amazed to discover that Paul wrote Wait, I always thought that was a John song, apparently he wrote it when in the Bahama's filming Help.

Actually "In My Life" is one of the two songs that John and Paul didn't agree about the songwriting credit (the other one is "Eleanor Rigby"). John said that Paul only helped in the middle-eight and Paul said that he wrote the whole melody.

JOHN (1980): "It was the first song I wrote that was consciously about my life. (Sings) 'There are places I'll remember/ All my life though some have changed...' Before, we were just writing songs a la Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly -- pop songs with no more thought to them than that. The words were almost irrelevant. 'In My Life' started out as a bus journey from my house at 250 Menlove Avenue to town, mentioning every place I could remember. I wrote it all down and it was ridiculous... it was the most boring sort of 'What I Did On My Holiday's Bus Trip' song and it wasn't working at all. But then I laid back and these lyrics started coming to me about the places I remember. Paul helped with the middle-eight. It was, I think, my first real major piece of work. Up till then it had all been sort of glib and throw-away. And that was the first time I consciously put my literary part of myself into the lyric."

PAUL (1984): "I think I wrote the tune to that; that's the one we slightly dispute. John either forgot or didn't think I wrote the tune. I remember he had the words, like a poem... sort of about faces he remembered. I recall going off for half an hour and sitting with a Mellotron he had, writing the tune... which was Miracles inspired, as I remember. In fact, a lot of stuff was then."

About "Wait", for what I know it's one of those songs that John and Paul wrote 50 and 50%.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 02:52:49 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 02:57:39 AM »

What does Smokey say?    ;D

I prefer to believe John's story.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 03:02:07 AM »

I tend to believe John when it's about "In My Life" and I tend to believe Paul when it's about "Eleanor Rigby". Though maybe I'm biased because of who sings the lead vocal in each song.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 03:06:07 AM »

By the way, Paul mentioned a Mellotron. Did they have a Mellotron back in 1965?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 03:19:20 AM »

Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) - This is another one of my favorites on Rubber Soul.  It was the first time I ever heard a sitar and I liked the sound it made.  It was easy to learn to play this one and I would down strum on the treble strings near the bridge to get a sitar effect.

I like John's vocal and Paul's backup harmony a lot.  Drums would have detracted from this song.  The tambourine and maracas sound just right.

When I hear early takes of this song, I'm happy The Beatles decided to limit the amount of sitar on this song...

Norwegian Wood - The Beatles (Take1) Anthology ll Version
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 82 queries.