Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Microscope: Wonderwall Music  (Read 16203 times)

Bobber

Re: Microscope: Wonderwall Music
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2014, 08:06:15 PM »

It's better than 'Smile', The Beatles and 'The Basement Tapes'?

If you want me to pretend it is, I will.
I'll go up to the first 30 year old I see tomorrow and tell them that they're really lucky to be living in such stimulating times!

To get slightly back on topic.... I think what Tamara means is that there is music from more recent years that is good as well. The music of today is not just all 'a McDonalds diet'. Personally, I think that the BBC part 2 from The Beatles was a disappointment. Bob Dylan hardly touches me. The basement Tapes may be your buoy to survive in these dramatic and horrible years, for me it is not. To be open to modern developments, music, art and times, enriches ones life. But that is a matter of taste as well.

Bobber

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2014, 09:24:21 PM »

I didn't get back on topic, did I?

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2014, 09:43:27 PM »

She settled for second best, so its not out of the realm of possibility.

That comment itself seems ripe for an extremely robust topic of it's own.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2014, 10:19:56 PM »

I think all in all,this isn't an album I'd put on to listen to end to end. I'm just not into the Indian stuff enough, and a lot of it is grating. That's just my personal taste. Clearly some people enjoy it. There's a few decent instrumentals that I don't mind. And I'm happy to have them pop up on my iTunes playlist every so often.

I think george deserves credit for his approach though. It's certainly not bland and safe. It's never going to be a popular, must listen record. It's a niche product mostly. And of historical interest mainly.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2014, 10:26:08 PM »

To get slightly back on topic.... I think what Tamara means is that there is music from more recent years that is good as well. The music of today is not just all 'a McDonalds diet'. Personally, I think that the BBC part 2 from The Beatles was a disappointment. Bob Dylan hardly touches me. The basement Tapes may be your buoy to survive in these dramatic and horrible years, for me it is not. To be open to modern developments, music, art and times, enriches ones life. But that is a matter of taste as well.

Of course there's good stuff around.  I love sixties music and agree it was an unusually creative and interesting time for popular music.  Definitely a fundamental era that music lovers should be familiar with.

But, Beatles aside, I don't listen to the much of it anymore. I think Hendrix is amazing, the Stones, Who, Hollies etc are all terrific. But I just don't put them onto play with the regularity that I used to. I generally have more recent things. The Decemberists, Tallest Man on Earth, Jake Bugg, Okkervil River, the Veils etc etc.  then every so often I'll revisit the sixties guys. It helps keep it fresh for me.   

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2014, 12:46:31 AM »

It's better than 'Smile', The Beatles and 'The Basement Tapes'?

To some it might be.  Isnt all in the ears of the beholder?  You said the greatest pop record of this year is the 'Basement Tapes', but its not going to be for me.  I don't dig Dylan so I'm not going to bother with it.  I however, have bought some music from 2014 that I really like.  Tamara was right, you just have to look for it.

The Dandelion - Pleiadian Love Vibration

Suzi Chunk and Groovy Uncle- "Barefoot In The Car Park"

Woods - With Light And With Love

If you want me to pretend it is, I will.
I'll go up to the first 30 year old I see tomorrow and tell them that they're really lucky to be living in such stimulating times!

Look past the mainstream.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2014, 12:51:16 AM »

Speaking of 2014, the Beatles BBC 2 was awful.  I cant believe how disappointed with it I was.  There was nothing fresh on it or anything that was surprising.  I seriously will probably never listen to that CD again unless its for something special.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2014, 12:58:18 AM »

Speaking of 2014, the Beatles BBC 2 was awful.  I cant believe how disappointed with it I was.  There was nothing fresh on it or anything that was surprising.  I seriously will probably never listen to that CD again unless its for something special.

Yep BBC 1 I thought was terrific. A real revelation. BBC 2 I never bother with.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2014, 04:08:54 AM »

tkitna, the 'look past the mainstream' line is priceless considering I'm the ONLY ONE who admires 'Wonderwall Music' and 'Electronic Sound'.
In the context of The Beatles these are the ultimate 'look past the mainstream' releases, and it's you, not me, who have completely failed to embrace them. So why on earth should I trust your 'look past the mainstream' credentials?

This is to everyone, not just tkitna.....

Ever seen the film 'Misery'?

James Caan character:
Embracer of 60s ideology and culture - we are told this by the use of Jr. Walker in the opening credits - Democrat/Labour, creative, embracer of life, free spirit, a 'maker' of art.

Kathy Bates character:
The opposite of free thinking, Republican/Conservative, repressed, non-creative, isolated, a 'consumer' of art.

Wow! Stephen King was talking about being an ex-Beatle!

The ultra-conservative nature of fandom, in his case Beatle fandom, must have been as alarming and disturbing to George as it clearly was for the James Caan character in 'Misery', and Caan's expression throughout most of the film is remarkably similar to George's public demeanour post-Beatle.....a kind of 'grin and bear it and it might go away' look.

I have more respect for John, Paul, George and Ringo as individuals after reading the various comments above than I have at any time before. No wonder they hid away and sought refuge in activities beyond the verse-chorus-verse-chorus, 'why isn't it like 'Sgt. Pepper's'?', hell they were meant to endure as ex-Beatles.

And, I bet, at this very minute, Ringo is STILL receiving sack-loads of requests for his autograph.....

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2014, 04:37:40 AM »

12 November 1955

Johnny B. Goode - Back to the Future (9/10) Movie CLIP (1985) HD

I guess you guys aren't ready for that yet...but your kids are gonna love it!
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2014, 06:54:16 AM »

tkitna, the 'look past the mainstream' line is priceless considering I'm the ONLY ONE who admires 'Wonderwall Music' and 'Electronic Sound'.

What do you admire about them (this is a serious question, because I cant understand how anybody can find any enjoyment from them)?  They are experimental and extremely hard to listen to. When I say look past the mainstream, I mean there's other avenues to find good music other then the chart toppers.  Some little known Indie bands do some wonderful things.

In the context of The Beatles these are the ultimate 'look past the mainstream' releases, and it's you, not me, who have completely failed to embrace them. So why on earth should I trust your 'look past the mainstream' credentials?

I failed to embrace them because quite frankly, they aren't any good.  You have a couple of records with barely any structured music on them and you wonder why people who want to hear good music cant come to grips with them.  You seem to be the only person on the entire forum (a Beatle forum mind you) that embraces them.

This is to everyone, not just tkitna.....

The ultra-conservative nature of fandom, in his case Beatle fandom, must have been as alarming and disturbing to George as it clearly was for the James Caan character in 'Misery', and Caan's expression throughout most of the film is remarkably similar to George's public demeanour post-Beatle.....a kind of 'grin and bear it and it might go away' look.

I have more respect for John, Paul, George and Ringo as individuals after reading the various comments above than I have at any time before. No wonder they hid away and sought refuge in activities beyond the verse-chorus-verse-chorus, 'why isn't it like 'Sgt. Pepper's'?', hell they were meant to endure as ex-Beatles.

You preach this, but yet its you that refuses to leave the 60's and try new things.  Wow.

Tamara

• A Beginning
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2014, 01:46:14 PM »

Has oldbrownshoe left?
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.495 seconds with 60 queries.