Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: If You Could See One Band  (Read 7237 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: If You Could See One Band
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2005, 05:59:28 PM »

Quote from: Wayne_L.

I think the Doors are one of the greatest rock groups of all time with few equals & the late, great Jim Morrison is one of the greatest frontmen in rock but the Stones could walk all over them in concert.
don't follow leaders
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2005, 06:40:14 PM »

Mmm, probably the Who or Led Zep.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2005, 07:20:15 PM »

Quote from: Maccalvr
I don't get the whole Doors are overrated thing. No one else sounds like them, they're unique. It's not like they're talked about infuencing anybody or anything. I mean the overrated thing is so easy to throw out there anytime someone doesn't like a band with more than 3 fans.

Yes, I know, but this doesn't apply to me.
I just think in the context of things, The Doors get more credit than is due.
How do they sound so unique? I cant hear it myself.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2005, 04:07:56 AM »

Quote from: IndicaWalrus

Yes, I know, but this doesn't apply to me.
I just think in the context of things, The Doors get more credit than is due.
How do they sound so unique? I cant hear it myself.

I'm confused. I don't know of any other band that sounds like them or has lyrics like them or that use the same organ/no bass sound. Morrison's voice is quite unique as well. Unique being one of a kind. Which I think they are. I don't get how they're not. Who sounds like them? And what credit do they get? Other than people thinking they're a great band, they really don't get credit for much. Other than Morrison being a very charasmatic front man who knew how to work a crowd.

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2005, 04:57:36 AM »

Pink Floyd is only on top due to alphabetical chicanery, I want all to know.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2005, 02:47:30 AM »

I'm confused. I don't know of any other band that sounds like them or has lyrics like them or that use the same organ/no bass sound. Morrison's voice is quite unique as well. Unique being one of a kind. Which I think they are. I don't get how they're not. Who sounds like them? And what credit do they get? Other than people thinking they're a great band, they really don't get credit for much. Other than Morrison being a very charasmatic front man who knew how to work a crowd.

I know they never showed him live but I'm quite certain The Doors do have bass on their tracks (Session player). Gonna have to check it out now.

I think they do have their own sound though....I'm not a heavy fan but they certainly influenced me in my younger years..Can't get Riders On the Storm and Love ME Two Times out my head...Sure they got bass on.....Gonna have to dig into my old tape archives. lol
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2005, 04:09:11 AM »

They were only bass-less for the first two albums.  After that they all had a real bass player on them.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2005, 04:22:09 AM »

Cheers C! :)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2005, 06:03:34 AM »

So what songs are bass-less then? I don't feel like researching. And all my old Doors albums are somewhere in my brothers garage in Arizona. Along with the 25 posters of Jim.

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2005, 06:58:09 AM »

The first album was all keyboard bass from Ray.  The second album some of the songs were augmented with studio session man bass (Larry someone).  Then from Waiting For The Sun on they all had bass guitar, and live as well.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2005, 04:29:38 PM »

So then many of their most well known songs have Ray playing left-handed keyboard bass. Even with a bass player later on I still think they have a different sound. What is it jazz/rock or something?

I never see a bass player when they play live, this says they used a session guy in the studio because the keyboard thing didn't play as well as it did live:

Ray played Piano, Keyboards, Organ. He had a love for the blues and a heavy liking for Jazz music. After Robby Krieger and John Densmore were added to the line up on guitar and drums respectively - they still lacked a bass player. The solution arrived partly due to a technique ray learned from boogie woogie piano ( the left hand plays all the bass parts ) and also with the aid of a Fender Rhodes keyboard bass sat atop rays vox continental. Ray Manzareks left hand became the groups bass player! It would continue that way through live concerts - though as the Fender Rhodes wasn't so great in recording studios in terms of fidelity - they would switch to using assorted session guys for later albums.

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2005, 04:38:25 PM »

So then many of their most well known songs have Ray playing left-handed keyboard bass. Even with a bass player later on I still think they have a different sound. What is it jazz/rock or something?

Well, I wouldn't say "most".  They definitely had a different sound, and I havge no idea what one might call it.  Maybe that's proof it was different.

I never see a bass player when they play live, this says they used a session guy in the studio because the keyboard thing didn't play as well as it did live:

The bass player was always left to the back or off stage because he was not a part of the group, just a hired hand to fill out the sound. Even when recording, with the availability of multitracking, they preferred to use a real bass to Ray's keyboard after awhile.

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2005, 04:39:37 PM »

More Dresden bullsh*t

So be happy you weren't in Hiroshima then.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2005, 04:51:38 PM »

I didn't mean most of their songs. Just many of the ones we know oh so well. Most well? I don't know. Some of their songs then. What do I know. ;D

Break on Through-No bass? Or is the bum bum bum bum an actual bass? I never listened that closely.

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2005, 04:54:23 PM »

I didn't mean most of their songs. Just many of the ones we know oh so well. Most well? I don't know. Some of their songs then. What do I know. ;D

Break on Through-No bass? Or is the bum bum bum bum an actual bass? I never listened that closely.

Fender Rhodes.  The whole first album was Ray.

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2005, 04:55:24 PM »

Quote from: Salisbury_Plan

Sei du froh das du nicht in den Irak musst Kleiner

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2005, 05:03:30 PM »

That's amazing that that was a keyboard. I don't know why they said it didn't record well. It sounds pretty damn good to me.

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2005, 05:11:27 PM »

I think it recorded fine.  It was just more desirable for Ray to be able to concentrate strictly on the keys.  And maybe they thought people could tell it was a keyboard and thought it might sound 'fakey'.  Sounds fine to me though, you're right.

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2005, 01:39:47 AM »

Pink floyd or led zeeplin
but floyd wins

Paul McCartney :)

Taxman

• A Beginning
  • 1 for you 19 for me
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2005, 07:46:20 AM »

CREAM!!!!

Eric Clapton is my idol

sky of blue sea of... gray?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 85 queries.