Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33

Author Topic: Books  (Read 87544 times)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: Books
« Reply #240 on: November 11, 2014, 08:12:29 PM »

Darnit, Kevin; I've lost more sleep and work time due to James Herbert's books than I care to admit! Was up 'til 11:00 pm last night reading Creed.

Just kidding -- I love a good book. I just need to practice how to put one down when I need to rest or work.   ;D

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #241 on: January 20, 2015, 10:46:15 PM »

The Story of the "Mary Celeste", by Charles Edey Fay, apparently an employee of the brig's insurance company. Originally published 1942. It's a tad dry (no pun intended LOL) but the details are gripping.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #242 on: March 31, 2015, 10:19:25 PM »

Dead Wake, by Erik Larson. A perfect introduction to the circumstances surrounding the sinking of the Lusitania for someone who doesn't want to get bogged down in extraneous detail.   :)

KelMar

« Reply #243 on: March 31, 2015, 10:33:32 PM »

Dead Wake, by Erik Larson. A perfect introduction to the circumstances surrounding the sinking of the Lusitania for someone who doesn't want to get bogged down in extraneous detail.   :)

That sounds interesting. I'm currently reading The Great Gatsby. It's this year's Big Read selection for communities in our library system. I'm going to show the movie next month at the library and I'm thrilled that it's going to be the 1974 version with Robert Redford. It was just recently added to the movies we're licensed to show. Otherwise I would have been limited to the 2013 version.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #244 on: April 01, 2015, 12:07:08 AM »

Still trying to get through 'The Catcher In The Rye' to see what all the fuss is about.

Zzzzzzzzzzz...

Been at it for months. I last a page or two then something actually interesting happens in real life and it's back on the shelf.

I'm projecting a 2037 finish.

:-*

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

KelMar

« Reply #245 on: April 01, 2015, 03:07:21 AM »

I never gave up on a book until I tried to read The Life of Pi. My daughter and I were supposed to read it for a book club. I finally decided that life was too short to sit there and torture myself. I still went to the meeting; I just remained uncharacteristically quiet. LOL

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #246 on: April 01, 2015, 03:27:31 AM »

Ow. I can imagine that as a rough read. The movie is visually stimulating, but quite a slow rambling storyline.

My sympathies.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

KelMar

« Reply #247 on: April 01, 2015, 03:41:02 AM »

I guess someone must have liked it but it wasn't me!

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #248 on: April 01, 2015, 03:54:59 AM »

Understood. I don't know how to break to Holden Caulfield that he isn't changing my life.

:P

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #249 on: April 01, 2015, 04:26:30 AM »

The Catcher in the Rye was on the New York City Public Schools ban list in the 60s.  I bought a copy to find out why.  Once I got to "the word" I closed the book.  I never finished reading it.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #250 on: April 01, 2015, 04:42:56 AM »

^

I was in 11th grade at that time.  I remember our English teacher assigning us to read A Tale of Two Cities.  That book was great!  I read a copy of Cyrano de Bergerac, in French, that was lying around the house a few months before.  I liked the similarities of those two works.  I remember mentioning that in class and the teacher had us read that too, in English.  Mrs. Bacher was pretty cool that way.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #251 on: April 01, 2015, 04:51:32 AM »

I loved Dickens as a kid. There's some readable stuff.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #252 on: April 01, 2015, 05:02:34 AM »

Right.  Look at how A Tale of Two Cities started and ended...

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way- in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

"I see that child who lay upon her bosom and who bore my name, a man winning his way up in that path of life which once was mine. I see him winning it so well, that my name is made illustrious there by the light of his. I see the blots I threw upon it, faded away. I see him, foremost of just judges and honoured men, bringing a boy of my name, with a forehead that I know and golden hair, to this place- then fair to look upon, with not a trace of this day's disfigurement- and I hear him tell the child my story, with a tender and a faltering voice.

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known."

I mean you know that everything that comes in between is going to be great!

KelMar

« Reply #253 on: April 01, 2015, 05:21:58 AM »

Miss Havisham is the Dickens character that intrigued me the most.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #254 on: April 01, 2015, 09:09:31 AM »

On the lighter side, I remember enjoying 'The Pickwick Papers' very much. His first novel, I think. I couldn't put it down.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #255 on: April 01, 2015, 10:01:49 AM »

I was in 11th grade at that time.  I remember our English teacher assigning us to read A Tale of Two Cities.  That book was great!

You may be interested to know that part of A Tale Of Two Cities takes part in a location the Beatles used during the Mad Day Out photo shoot in 1968.
I can give you more detail about where it is in the book if you like.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #256 on: April 01, 2015, 12:42:27 PM »

Still trying to get through 'The Catcher In The Rye' to see what all the fuss is about.

Zzzzzzzzzzz...

I read it, too, for the same reason. I still don't get what the fuss was about. Like you said, zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

KelMar

« Reply #257 on: April 01, 2015, 04:51:21 PM »

You may be interested to know that part of A Tale Of Two Cities takes part in a location the Beatles used during the Mad Day Out photo shoot in 1968.
I can give you more detail about where it is in the book if you like.

I'd like. :)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #258 on: April 01, 2015, 08:56:04 PM »

I read it, too, for the same reason. I still don't get what the fuss was about. Like you said, zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I think if you wanted to explain to a 17 year old why Sgt Pepper is considered one of he greatest albums of all time they probably wouldn't get it from just listening to it. You would have to put it into the context of the time it was made. So it is Ithink with Catcher InThe Rye. In its day it was controversial,dangerous and new. None of that no longer applies.

don't follow leaders

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #259 on: April 02, 2015, 05:31:28 PM »

I think if you wanted to explain to a 17 year old why Sgt Pepper is considered one of he greatest albums of all time they probably wouldn't get it from just listening to it. You would have to put it into the context of the time it was made. So it is Ithink with Catcher InThe Rye. In its day it was controversial,dangerous and new. None of that no longer applies.

I think it's an amazing book, context or not. I had to read it as school assignment at 16 and loved it, then re-read it last year at 20 and loved it even more. But it did worry me that I still relate to the character in so many ways.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33

Page created in 0.605 seconds with 77 queries.