Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Singles - All You Need Is Love  (Read 6792 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Singles - All You Need Is Love
« on: February 22, 2010, 12:38:08 PM »

Boo. The run of magnificent, daring, innovative singles comes to an end. Good one John.
This song sounds so twee it'd make the Partridge Family blush. To me it sounds like an advertising jingle. Lazy and second rate.
I guess it's saved a little because it was knocked off for a special occassion, but they were due a single anyway.
don't follow leaders

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
Re: Singles - All You Need Is Love
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 02:06:24 PM »

OH mate...I love your posts...OK lazy maybe but with this tune I have to stick up for the way they at least changed the meter of the song so it wasn't a droll 4 on the floor all the way. That's got to be one redeemer Kevin, come on? lol

I still find it emotional.....There's a big part of The Beatles in that recording. You could argue that that was the peak moment of the whole Beatle machine. The substance of the song though....hmmm Well this ties in with John's '3 blind mice' writing strategy but I think the fanfares, the hark back to the old day of 'she loves you' chant & yesterday. They could have ended it all right here really. It's wrapped up in Beatle trademarks. The Love harmonies through the verses are gorgeous....The only jingle bit I don;t like is the 'It's Easy' but it makes the perfect dip for either another verse or a chorus.

I always will dig the low cello's motif on the outro aswell. Brimming to the hilt this one. I guess they managed to overdub themselves as they recorded over it again for the TV backing track. It marks a special moment in Beatle time for me.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 02:10:31 PM »

They could have ended it all right here really.

Maybe they should have and in a way -Epstein's death- it did end here. It's the Let It Be of its time. I understand Rick's feelings with this song and I admit it is perfectly placed in the Beatles history. As a song it has never worked for me tho. I find it a bit dull.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 02:24:54 PM »

I never liked this song much either.

Most Beatles songs are little pop music masterpieces. Great verse, great chorus, great bridge, perfection from start to finish. AYNIL on the other hand is IMO little more than a clever hook (which it definately is) that was expanded into a full song. It's a bit of a gimmick tune. This approach might have been perfectly fine for 90% of all other pop groups, but for the Beatles it was a bit below their class.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:47:18 PM by Joost »

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 03:04:43 PM »

Great production, poo song is the vibe then. heheheh

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 03:12:31 PM »

Great production, poo song is the vibe then. heheheh

Well, poo by Beatles standards that is. I guess it would've been a great tune for, say, The Tremloes. They were doing simple, cheerful singalong songs like 'Even The Bad Times Are Good' and 'Here Comes My Baby' at the time, 'All You Need Is Love' would've fitted in nicely.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:08:43 PM by Joost »

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 04:09:59 PM »

I'm gonna step outta the box here from the rest of you guys... I love this song.  It's just something about it, listening from a non-technical point of view, just one of those songs that makes me happy?  "Nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be"

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

I_Will

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Doesn't the blood rush to your stomach?"
    • My Beatles Tumblr!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 05:18:27 PM »

I agree with HeyJude.

This is just one of those songs that makes me happy and feel good, especially if I'm in a bad mood. Now, I can't listen to it over and over again like I can with some Beatles songs, because it can get old. However, I've found if I listen to it sparingly, it has the ability to just brighten up my day :)

The name's Emily :)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 05:42:29 PM »

It's an OK song I guess, but I feel like it's an idea that hasn't really been expanded on. The song could have been so much more than what it is.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 05:46:31 PM »

OH mate...I love your posts...OK lazy maybe but with this tune I have to stick up for the way they at least changed the meter of the song so it wasn't a droll 4 on the floor all the way. That's got to be one redeemer Kevin, come on? lol

.... It marks a special moment in Beatle time for me.
I think the song is made special by the occassion it celebrates. It was kind of their zenith - loveable moptops morph into wise Guru's before our very eyes with Pepper and appear before the world - a bit like New Kids On The Block knocking out Dark Side Of The Moon (well not really, but you get my drift.) But perhap[s a simple message song was the best way to go. They were sending out the hippy message to the world and something Dylaneque might have been lost on many. at least no one could say they didn't understand the point.
Shame it had to be with such a sh*tty song. Give me Yellow Submarine any day.  :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:48:47 PM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 09:07:13 PM »

I thought some more about this...
A John masterpiece nursery rhyme but with unarguable lyric. As musicians, there's not much for them to do and it shows. It was Martin's orchestration...maybe he feared this was A Beatles last single amongst the obvious occasion and task that a worldwide largest ever live audience would present. He proper done a job here. It's optimistic message is enough to warrant it being a single and look how it's set a precedent for charity anthems today.

Your a rare gem Kevin...you dare tread, it engages my neurons and my status aside, I love it.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 09:27:33 PM »

Something I thought of today: aren't All You Need Is Love and Give Peace A Chance in a way very similar? They're both songs that mostly revolve around on single slogan and (like Kevin said) are almost commercial jingles. One for love, one for peace. You hear jingles for commercial product all the time, but John wrote perhaps the best-known jingles for love and for peace. That's pretty cool if you think of it.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 09:50:10 PM »

I hate this song. As a matter of fact, I cant think of many songs that get under my skin more than this one. This is one of those songs that I feel they knew they could get away with just because they were the Beatles. Nothing works on it for me. From the dull, simple, plodding chorus to the botched guitar solo to the lazy lyrics. Even watching them perform the tune grates on me with all the gum chewing and everything. I expect better from them even if it was a hurry up job. Terrible.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 10:59:11 AM »

Something I thought of today: aren't All You Need Is Love and Give Peace A Chance in a way very similar? They're both songs that mostly revolve around on single slogan and (like Kevin said) are almost commercial jingles. One for love, one for peace. You hear jingles for commercial product all the time, but John wrote perhaps the best-known jingles for love and for peace. That's pretty cool if you think of it.
Yeah - I'm swaying now. Maybe in this modern age we've forgotten what a big deal that broadcast was. Here were The Beatles, the newly appointed Kings of the Counter Culture, with a chance to speak to the world. And why not choose the most simplest and direct means possible. Maybe an advertising jingle for love was exactly what was needed here. It was an oppotunity not to be missed. They could have gone all Pink Floyd and done I Am The Walrus, gained plenty of critical kudos, but missed the chance to let millions of middle class families sat in front of their tellies around the world, more used to images of Vietnam and The Middle East,  know that perhaps Love was all you needed.
As a song though it still blows.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:18:29 AM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 11:16:25 AM »

^ Good thing I'd just swallowed my coffee when I read that last sentence.  ;D

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 11:25:55 AM »

i was reading somewhere that when the orchestra comes in after george's guitar solo, it's a remix/fix to cover a mistake george made that was broadcast in the original performance.
talk about pressure ! !
song=
good vibe / cheerful
unusual time signature
self proclaimed publicity stunt
the marketing of the love generation
co-opted by every hippie idiot who doesn't want to think deeply
a musical victory for george martin
john lennon's lewis carrolesque lyrical phase
paul playing the backgroud yet in total musical control during the live performance
ridiculous clothing
AND ULTIMATELY . . . . .
a political soundbite . . .  (and a good one !)
and would this song be as good without the 'she loves you' reference at the end ?? ??

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »

i was reading somewhere that when the orchestra comes in after george's guitar solo, it's a remix/fix to cover a mistake george made that was broadcast in the original performance.
talk about pressure ! !

In my opinion, theres no excuse for a screwed up guitar solo. Especially on this song. George is only human, but he's supposed to be a professional musician too. Lets be honest with ourselves, musicians improvise all the time (they have to) and this wasnt exactly the most technical song in the world. Major fail in my opinion.

and would this song be as good without the 'she loves you' reference at the end ?? ??

No, its the only interesting part of the song.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 02:11:32 PM »

In my opinion, theres no excuse for a screwed up guitar solo. Especially on this song. George is only human, but he's supposed to be a professional musician too. Lets be honest with ourselves, musicians improvise all the time (they have to) and this wasnt exactly the most technical song in the world. Major fail in my opinion.

No, its the only interesting part of the song.

:)  If you were a woman I'd have your babies. No, wait, that's wrong.....
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 05:02:09 PM »

They could have gone all Pink Floyd and done I Am The Walrus, gained plenty of critical kudos, but missed the chance to let millions of middle class families sat in front of their tellies around the world, more used to images of Vietnam and The Middle East,  know that perhaps Love was all you needed.

I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

AngeloMysterioso

• A Beginning
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 06:14:41 PM »

I don’t know why exactly – the more or less sloppy structure and melodics – but All You Need Is Love reminds me of Help. To me, it simply commemorates the pinnacle of Summer of Love – on a Beatles perspective, than anything else. I have to admit that I have never heard a nekid version, nor earlier sketches of it.
Music's all right John, but you'll never make a living out of it.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.434 seconds with 86 queries.