Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Beatles Rock'n'Roll Music!  (Read 15036 times)

VBMCollector

• One And One Is Two
    • Virtua Beatles Music
The Beatles Rock'n'Roll Music!
« on: February 19, 2014, 10:23:58 PM »

I propose you a subject (maybe it exists already an identical somewhere on the forum) that I had enjoyed developing on other platforms, so much us, Fab ' 4 fans, have different musical tastes! :)

It’s a question of speaking about the Beatles… who do not sing the Beatles. I give some explanation: during the first period of their career, many standard rock pieces of the Fifties and the beginning of the Sixties were integrated into their catalog. Some of these titles found themselves on their first albums, others became classics of their concerts, radio sets (Live At The BBC) or studio sessions (Get Back sessions). Let’s quote for examples Twist and Shout, Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Slow Down, Roll Over Beethoven, Rock And Roll Music and many others else.

I said to myself that it would be interesting to discuss musically on all these covers which Beatles offered us and to analyze them. What is your opinion on their performances, on the musical plan? On the vocal plan? A possible comparison with the legends of the Rock'n'roll of the Fifties? Your favorite rock cover by the Beatles? The one that you like least? The rock title, absent of their catalog, that you would have liked that the Beatles plays?

In the course of the debate, we can evoke the story of songs which have been covered by the Fab ' 4!

Let's rock and... read you soon! ;)

Please note: Watch out, we concentrate only on covers executed by the group (those of each of ex-Beatles solo being off topic).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 05:10:37 PM by VBMCollector »

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Re: The Beatles Rock'n'Roll Music!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 11:16:26 PM »

Little Richard's my favourite out of those you listed and boy, did Paul do justice to his songs in his prime. I mean, Long Tall Sally? Kansas City? Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey? Lucille? That's some of the most kick-ass, intoxicating rock 'n' roll the band has ever cut. A vocal duet between the two would have worked out great.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 02:55:49 AM »

Just thinking quickly about it, my favorite studio covers are (in no particular order):
Words of Love
Boys
Act Naturally
Long Tall Sally
Twist and Shout
'Til There Was You
Money (that's What I Want)
Please Mr. Postman
Slow Down
Bad Boy

Least Favorite:
Honey Don't
Matchbox
Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby

There's a boat load from the BBC sessions I really enjoy.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

VBMCollector

• One And One Is Two
    • Virtua Beatles Music
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 05:11:11 PM »

Little Richard's my favourite out of those you listed and boy, did Paul do justice to his songs in his prime. I mean, Long Tall Sally? Kansas City? Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey? Lucille? That's some of the most kick-ass, intoxicating rock 'n' roll the band has ever cut. A vocal duet between the two would have worked out great.

Yeah! :)

I voted Little Richard too, because I love his crazy side on stage. And moreover, that feels the effects by listening to him singing. I shall have liked that the Beatles play his Tutti Frutti or Cochran’s Somethin 'Else! Lewis, I’m also a fan of what he does. He’s likewise crazy with his piano.

About Long Tall Sally

It’s a song cosigned with Enotris Johnson and Robert Alexander Blackwell, which was recorded on 10.02.1956 in the J&M Studios (New Orleans) for Specialty. We find number of great musicians for the occasion: Lee Allen (tenor sax), Alvin "Red" Tyler (baritone sax), Edgar Blanchard (guitar), Frank Fields (bass) and Earl Palmer (drums). Slippin' and Slidin', recorded the same day, appears in the B-side of the single released in March 1956 in the United States. For fans, it’s integrated, with Long Tall Sally, on his first album titled Here's Little Richard (03.1957).

It’s on 01.03.1964 when Long Tall Sally was recorded by the Fab’4 in only one take. The title appears officially on 19.06.1964 in their British original discography (EP Parlophone GEP 8913). However, they had been integrated into their catalog for a very long time before because, already in Hamburg (for example), they played it on stage:

Naturally, this great rock'n'roll hit was the object of numerous covers, among which here are some famous examples:

To note that, just like the Beatles, Jerry Lee Lewis had sung Long Tall Sally too at the Star-Club! ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 06:49:20 PM by VBMCollector »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 05:18:56 PM »

To note that, just like the Beatles, Jerry Lee Lewis had sung Long Tall Sally too at the Star-Club! ;)

And it sounded like this...

JERRY LEE LEWIS long tall sally STAR CLUB HAMBOURG 1964
I can stay till it's time to go

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 05:21:21 PM »

Long Tall Sally is amazing, I can't even begin to imagine hearing it when it came out. It's no wonder Lennon was speechless. A true rock 'n' roll classic.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

VBMCollector

• One And One Is Two
    • Virtua Beatles Music
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 06:51:53 PM »

It's no wonder Lennon was speechless.

Right! Like after the two takes for Twist and Shout! ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 06:55:00 PM by VBMCollector »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 08:55:32 PM »

Right! Like after the two takes for Twist and Shout! ;)

Take 1 is what we got on the album.  Is Take 2 around anywhere?

VBMCollector

• One And One Is Two
    • Virtua Beatles Music
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 11:18:03 PM »

I think it has never been officially released. Maybe it is possible to find it on a bootleg, but I don't know any more. What is certain is that this Take 2 does exist and, according to Mark Lewisohn (The Complete Recording sessions, p. 26), it would be complete. I would enjoy learning more about the subject! ;)

nimrod

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 12:09:07 AM »

Any of them would be great

Id love to have seen them back Elvis on Jailhouse Rock, or Buddy Holly on Peggy Sue

But tbh what Id have loved to see most would be the session where they backed Tony Sheridan doing My Bonnie (great record) a real rocked up version, the lads did a very good job on that, Pete especially with only a snare drum !

Its irrelevant really though as no-one could sing any R & R song as good as John & Paul :D

I would tend to think that John was right when he said 'we were at our best in the Cavern' 357 gigs in 1961 I think they did, they honed theyre craft.......after they got really famous they went into studio work more and forgot how to rock and roll, mind expanding drugs having too much effect - but then I guess that was the times (hippydom, psychedelic crap haha)

I watch the movie BackBeat and think how good they must have been in those days, the portrayal of them on stage in Hamburg is excellent in that film..

nimrod

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 12:13:39 AM »

Great thread btw VBM  :)

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 12:19:56 AM »

I chose Elvis, unsure of what specific tunes could be done, but certain that it could have been a weird/wonderful match-up.

By the time the boys hit the big time, The King was in the thick of his cheesy movie career. Still, a few good tunes emerged from him at the time. 'Return To Sender'...? Could have fit the boys well. 'Little Sister'...'Devil In Disguise'...? I think a lot of good possibilities exist.

Heh. My inner ear is hearing it now.

roll:)
'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 12:47:40 AM »

I voted for Buddy Holly.  The Beatles stayed pretty much true to Buddy Holly's original recordings of That'll Be The Day and Words Of love.  They performed these songs frequently early on as The Quarrymen.  His band's name, The Crickets, influenced The Beatles' choice of their name.

Paul talks about this here...

Paul McCartney describes the Buddy Holly influence on The Beatles (1980's).

I wonder if Buddy Holly ever knew about The Quarrymen.  He must have known about his popularity in England.  Had he lived, maybe they could have been on the same bill and even performed together.  That would have been fun to see and hear.   

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 01:27:54 AM »

No one voted for Chuck Berry yet.  Can you imagine him treating George Harrison this way...

Chuck Berry vs Keith Richards! -Hilarious

I suspect that Chuck Berry and Keith Richards put this on for the camera.  But maybe not! 

Chuck Berry was much more forgiving here...

Chuck Berry & (John Lennon and Yoko Ono) - Memphis Tennessee

;D

nimrod

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 02:16:51 AM »

One unexplained occurrence Baz was when theyre great hero and major influence Buddy Holly played Liverpool neither John Paul or George could be bothered to go and see him, even though they were close to the venue.

According to M Lewisohn anyway.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 02:32:01 AM »

What does he say they were doing that day, Kev?

nimrod

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 03:38:45 AM »

From memory it was a weekday, they finished up at school/college and met up somewhere like the Jac, it would've been easy for them to even walk to see BH, but for reasons Mark doesn't know, they didn't. Just seems like apathy.

One of those unexplained things.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 04:09:53 AM »

Paul made it sound like they were there in that video I posted.

Yes, Kev, one of those unexplained things.

VBMCollector

• One And One Is Two
    • Virtua Beatles Music
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 05:35:01 PM »

Interesting , Buddy Holly! :)

Mainly with That'll Be the Day which is an historical song for the Beatles.

This hit was written by Buddy Holly and Jerry Allison. The genesis dates back to June 1956 and the John Wayne film The Searchers in which can be heard the famous quote that inspired the musicians for the title of their future song.

A first version of That'll Be the Day was recorded at Bradley’s Barn (Nashville) on 22.07.1956 and released as B-side to Rock Around With Ollie Vee (Decca D30434) on 02.09.1957.

After, a re-recorded version (Decca re-signed Holly to Brunswick Records) was created on 25.02.1957 at Norman Petty Recording Studio in Clovis (New Mexico). The single (Brunswick 9-55009) was released on 27.05.1957 with I'm Looking For Someone to Love on B-side.

And it’s in summer, 1958 (on July, 14 exactly) that the Quarrymen recorded their famous acetate in Percy Francis Phillips's studio in Kensington (Liverpool). On B-side, a McCartney-Harrison composition: In Spite Of All The Danger.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 05:44:52 PM by VBMCollector »

VBMCollector

• One And One Is Two
    • Virtua Beatles Music
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 05:46:30 PM »

Afterward, That'll Be the Day did not benefit from other official release by the Beatles, but was played by Macca during the Get Back Sessions:

To add a bonus, the Everly Brothers' cover ;)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 05:51:07 PM by VBMCollector »
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 84 queries.