Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Zombies  (Read 11310 times)

KelMar

The Zombies
« on: November 30, 2013, 07:40:25 PM »

The group formed in 1962 in St Albans, Hertfordshire, England, and gained their initial reputation playing the Old Verulamians Rugby Club in that city. The band was formed while the members were at school. Some sources state that Argent, Atkinson and Grundy were at St Albans School, while Blunstone and White were students at St Albans Boys' Grammar School (since renamed Verulam School). Argent was a boy chorister in St Albans Cathedral Choir.

Their choice of names was out of desperation, and the Zombies won out over Chatterley and the Gamekeepers, according to Blunstone and White. After winning a beat-group competition sponsored by the London Evening News, they signed to Decca and recorded their first hit, "She's Not There" (Argent's second song, written specifically for this session). It was released in mid-1964 and peaked at number 12 in the UK, their only UK Top 40 hit. This minor-key, jazz-tinged number, distinguished by its musicianship and Blunstone's breathy vocal, was unlike anything heard in British rock at the time. It was first aired in the United States in early August 1964 on New York City rock station WINS by Stan Z. Burns, who debuted the song on his daily noontime "Hot Spot". The tune began to catch on in early fall and eventually climbed to No.2 in early December. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Zombies

Murray the K's Christmas show at the Brooklyn Fox Theatre, 1964:

January 12, 1965 on the first episode of Hullabaloo:

http://youtu.be/tKmA_9bSHYI

http://youtu.be/ezSMbQKQEJI

Interview with Colin Blunstone:
http://www.classicbands.com/ZombiesInterview.html

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: The Zombies
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 12:41:37 AM »

One of my favorite bands of all time. There isnt much that I dont like from them.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 03:33:54 AM »

One of my very favorite bands too, it's easily in my Top 10 despite their relatively short catalog. Odessey And Oracle is a Top 3 album for me, along with Rubber Soul and Revolver. A collection of their singles released before that masterpiece is also essential for any fan of the band. It's curious the fact that they had much more success in US than in UK. They had three Top 10 hits in America: "She's Not There" (#2), "Tell Her No" (#6) and "Time Of The Season" (#3); not bad. I guess British people preferred the Hollies, a very good band, but they can't hold a "brief candle" to the Zombies in my opinion.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 05:15:01 AM »

I figured it was about time they had their own thread!I didn't know much from them but the three big hits that you mentioned Andrés, but Pandora radio plays songs from this a lot:

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 07:18:31 AM »

Here's a few of my favorites excluding 'Odessey and Oracle' because thats a masterpiece and theres nothing bad on it.

The Zombies-"I Can't Make Up My Mind" from Begin Here

The Zombies - If It Don't Work Out

The Zombies - Don't Cry For Me [High Quality]

'Breif Candles' is my all time favorite Zombies tune.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 08:46:59 AM »

The As and Bs collection is wonderful and begs the question why Gold Radio stations only play two of their songs (She's Not There, Time of the Season). Music radio could be superb if ALL the back catalogue of groups like The Zombies, Them, The Lovin' Spoonful, The Spencer Davis Group etc. was used.

I've always thought that a Beatles' As and Bs compilation would be a worthwhile release, 22 As on CD 1, 22 Bs on CD 2.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 11:27:00 AM »

The As and Bs collection is wonderful and begs the question why Gold Radio stations only play two of their songs (She's Not There, Time of the Season). Music radio could be superb if ALL the back catalogue of groups like The Zombies, Them, The Lovin' Spoonful, The Spencer Davis Group etc. was used.

I've always thought that a Beatles' As and Bs compilation would be a worthwhile release, 22 As on CD 1, 22 Bs on CD 2.

At least three A's & B's collections by the Zombies have been released actually. My favorite is this:

I like it because it includes every single they released before Odessey And Oracle, begining with 11 A-sides and finishing with the respective 11 B-sides, in chronological order. This collection includes the single "I Want Her Back" (a.k.a. "I Want You Back Again")/"I Remember When I Loved Her", only released in US in 1965 and omited in the collection mentioned by Kelley. I think this compilation plus a release of Odessey And Oracle that includes at least "I'll Call You Mine" and "Imagine The Swan" as bonus tracks, make a pretty decent summary of the Zombies' recordings for a fan. If one wants more than that, then the four-CDs compilation Zombie Heaven gives you practically everything they ever recorded.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 11:31:00 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 11:47:19 AM »

One of the strong points of the Zombies was their songwriting, but they've also recorded some pretty good covers. This is an interesting live version of "Gotta Get A Hold Of Myself":

The Zombies- "Gotta Get A Hold Of Myself" Live and In Color! 1966 (Reelin' In The Years Archives)

KelMar

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 05:15:18 PM »

That's why I really like to listen to Pandora radio. That's what they do, plus they are very good at introducing me to artists I probably wouldn't have found on my own. Once in a while they get it wrong but I haven't used the thumbs-down in quite a while. Thanks to them I also have a station for Christmas songs I actually enjoy! I'm sure Rhapsody and others are the same way.

One of the strong points of the Zombies was their songwriting, but they've also recorded some pretty good covers. This is an interesting live version of "Gotta Get A Hold Of Myself":

That is an interesting performance of another song I really like. I kind of think of it as the next step in overcoming heartbreak after "Leave Me Be". There's a glimmer of hope in this one!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 06:03:57 PM »

I bought 'Odessey and Oracle' several years ago, but for a long time I didn't really understand what all the fuss was about. Then one day it just started sinking in somehow, and it quickly became one of my all-time favorite albums. Funny how an album can do that. It's still one of my all-time favorites, I rank it even higher than any of the Beatles' albums.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 03:58:03 AM »

January 12, 1965 on the first episode of Hullabaloo:

http://youtu.be/tKmA_9bSHYI

http://youtu.be/ezSMbQKQEJI

This came right after the Christmas Show.  The Zombies worked hard promoting their singles touring here in the United States.  She's Not There and Tell Her No differed from most of the British Invasion songs.  Phenomenal lead vocals by Colin Blunstone and superb vocal harmonies led to those reactions by the audience.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 04:07:13 AM »

Here's a few of my favorites excluding 'Odessey and Oracle' because thats a masterpiece and theres nothing bad on it.

The Zombies-"I Can't Make Up My Mind" from Begin Here

The Zombies - If It Don't Work Out

The Zombies - Don't Cry For Me [High Quality]

'Breif Candles' is my all time favorite Zombies tune.

Very well put, Todd.  It truly is a masterpiece.  Some of us discovered that when the LP first came out.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 04:09:26 AM »

I bought 'Odessey and Oracle' several years ago, but for a long time I didn't really understand what all the fuss was about. Then one day it just started sinking in somehow, and it quickly became one of my all-time favorite albums. Funny how an album can do that. It's still one of my all-time favorites, I rank it even higher than any of the Beatles' albums.

I can understand you feeling that way, Joost.  Maybe it's the vocals that did it for you.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 04:23:18 PM »

That's not a surprise, because Odessey And Oracle is usually considered as the British Pet Sounds. Of course, the Zombies' album is different since it is much less produced (a merit in my opinion), but in terms of melodies and harmonies they are similar recordings. For example, I've always thought that the beautiful end of "I Want Her She Wants Me" was inspired by "God Only Knows"; and the opener "Care Of Cell 44" seems to be molded in "Wouldn't It Be Nice".
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 04:27:24 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

KelMar

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 08:08:36 PM »

I just listened to Odessey And Oracle for the first time and you guys weren't kidding; it is an amazing album! The vocals blew me away, especially the harmonies and the way the voices sounded like instrumental parts. (Does that make sense?) Like Pet Sounds it left me feeling like I'd just been to an auditory banquet. The beginning of Beechwood Park sounds a bit like the actual Pet Sounds title track but my favorite has to be A Rose for Emily. Thematically it reminds me of Eleanor Rigby. I also really like Friends of Mine. I don't think I've ever heard a song expressing such joy over someone else's relationship. I like that. Brief Candles is great too. It's all great! I think it's going to sneak into my cart when I do my Amazon Christmas shopping in a bit.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 05:03:22 AM »

The vocals blew me away, especially the harmonies and the way the voices sounded like instrumental parts. (Does that make sense?)

The human voice was the first instrument....a stringed instrument.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 06:39:18 AM »

I can understand you feeling that way, Joost.  Maybe it's the vocals that did it for you.

I like Colin Blunstone's voice, but he's not one of my favorite singers. I think it's mostly the compositions and the mood of the album that did it for me. I agree with Hombre, this is probably the closest that anyone ever came to making another Pet Sounds.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 08:18:41 AM »

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 02:20:14 PM »

my favorite has to be A Rose for Emily. Thematically it reminds me of Eleanor Rigby.

That's a good comparison. I also relate "A Rose For Emily" to "Eleanor Rigby" not only because of the lyrics, but because of the minimalist backing instrumentation as well (only a piano in the Zombies' song and only strings in the Beatles' recording).

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 11:58:09 PM »

This song should have been a hit:

Whenever You're Ready - The Zombies
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.658 seconds with 78 queries.