Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beatles Anthology Question  (Read 3758 times)

Beatles Anthology Question
« on: December 13, 2004, 11:02:30 AM »

Hi,
I am a new member to the forum. My name is not Paul Lennon and I do know that the name is not one of the Beatles  ;).

Anyway, I have been lurking around here for a while (ooo creepy! (afraid2))reading a lot of posts and getting to know every one here that way. I never really got the nerve to sign up.

The first reason I'm posting this is to introduce myself and tell you all a little bit about me: I'm 16 years old and I live in Southern California. I play guitar, bass, piano/keyboard and I *try* to learn drums. I'm been a Beatle fan out of the crib between my dad and the radio. I learned to love them... I used to be inspired to be the greatest guitar player but now I am inspired to construct and compose beautiful songs, because of the Beatles...

Anyway, enough about me... The second reason I'm posting this is because I have a question about the anthology DVDs:

Like I said, I have been reading a lot of posts here, and several of them were about the dvd... I'm not sure who it was but someone said that "not everything was included." I am very curious to know what events or stories could have been left out of that enormous DVD package. I have watched every DVD in the set so many times, I can't imagine there could be more to tell. Is there? And I've heard that there are "director's cut" versions available somewhere. Are they?

Thanks in advance for reading this and helping me out!

- P.L.

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
Re: Beatles Anthology Question
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 11:52:35 AM »

Hello PL, you seem like quite a musician!
The Anthology is great, but you have to be wary of it being official*. What this means is, that some of the more personal or controversial footage/stories has been left out.

I suggest buying the Anthology book, which although again is official, has some more information, and some great photography.

Also trying to read some books by people other than the Beatles themselves.
This can also be slightly dodgy, as some of the material may be false, or slightly fictional. You just have to take some of the stuff with a pinch of salt.
Once you have read quite a few books, you will see the structure of a book before you have read it! because the same stories are included.

So, the best thing to do is get reading! :) ..oh and listen to the music, like always :)
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 12:00:16 PM »

Thanks! I'll check that book out for sure. And I'll always listen to the music... It's the best part. :)

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 06:53:16 PM »

'Shout! The True Story of The Beatles' is a book to look out for. Again remember to take a few things with a pinch of salt. ;)

Mendips

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 07:26:20 PM »

Hi PaulLennon68!

Shout was a good book, but.......the big thing about it when it came out was that it pinned down the day John and Paul met which later turned out to be the wrong date and it was said that Norman, the author really did not care for Paul at all.
John: You're just a lonely old man from Liverpool.
Grandfather: But I'm clean!
John: Are ya?

Mr. Kite

• A Beginning
  • What would the The Beatles be without Ringo?
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 04:34:42 AM »

Hey Paullennon68, (I love the name BTW)

Anyways a good book that I recently read was "The Complete Beatles Chronicle"
by Mark Lewisohn.  The book was quite comprehensive and is basically a day to day account of the Beatles concerts, apperances and recording sessions from 1957 to 1970 and it was quite an enjoyable read.  I am now reading "The Beatles Anthology" which is better then the DVD's because there is way more stories then in the DVD's.  A book not to buy is "Revolution: The Making of the Beatles' "White Album" by David Quantick as I have already stated the book is just plain dreadful.

Welcome Aboard,

Mr. Kite
[size=14][size=14]-Mr. Kite![/size][size=14]<br />'ving been some days in preparation a splendid time is guaranteed for all![/size][/size]<br />

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 05:55:55 AM »

Thanks all for the welcomes and the book suggestions. I will be sure to check them out, starting with the Anthology book...

I was reading inside the booklet for Let It Be Naked, and they said the dialouge printed were excerpts from the Let It Be book... Is there a Let It Be book? I'm sure that would be a very interesting read, considering all of the tension during that time... Any thoughts?

SieLiebtDich

• A Thousand Pages
  • (&quot;\(#^_^)/&quot;)
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 06:58:24 AM »

Welcome to the forum!! ;-D

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 08:50:26 AM »

Thank you :)

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2004, 01:54:25 AM »

I think they left out the Paul Is Dead Hoax, i know it isnt true, since Ringo and Paul still deny it, but i thought they would mention it

mih ssim mih ssim ,won daed si luap

&quot;LSD is a drug made famous by John Lennon and Paul Mccartney&quot;
 &nb

apple sauce

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 03:25:28 AM »

The hard cover book by "Mojo" 10 Years That Revolutionized The Face Of Music" definatley a worth while read!

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 03:33:51 AM »

yeah, Ive got the seperate editions.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Will Campbell

• A Beginning
  • In my life....I love you more
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 03:35:52 AM »

One thing that I know was left out was the Real Love video.  (At least here anyway...)  They showed Real Love at the end of the 2nd episode when it aired on tv, but the version of the videos I've got does not have it.

Here's another clue for you all; the Walrus was Paul...

Page created in 0.806 seconds with 68 queries.